• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Dot Drill First timer....

jake7.62

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2010
NY
Well finally shot the dot drill with my .22 trainer, a Savage/Anschutz MK 12. It was with CCI standard vel. 40gr ammo.
This turned out to be alot harder then I thought. Anyway heres the target... Breathing needs work, trigger was just sloppy..Ughh
Long story short im hooked on this whole 22lr movement.. Damn this forum...
grin.gif

savage1-1.jpg

HPIM0875.jpg

Re: Dot Drill First timer....

What yardage were you shooting at?
.22's can be a lot of fun to shoot even though they are more challenging (but the challenge is what makes them the fun they are).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CharlieTN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Dot Drill will certainly humble you. I shoot a variation of this everytime I go to the range. Haven't cleaned it yet but one of these days....

Charlie </div></div>

Dot drills are good practice. Like CharlieTN, I use a variation of them. The 1" orange sticky target dots is what I use most.

+1 on yardage?

60% first time is very good at 50 yd and excellent at 100 IMO

I also try to make time to shoot this every range session

Great looking setup BTW.

I hate to tell you, but your affliction, "22 lritis", will only worsen with no known cure at the present time!!

Oops..I shot this at 50yds. Im going to keep trying this till I get 100% at 50yds then on to 100yds. I need a cheap mildot to throw on it... Don't laugh but how about a Tasco 2.5-10x???? I have a Konus 3-12x on it now.

Been there, done that, and I'm definitely not laughing. You asked, so here is my take. Buy all the glass your budget can afford. There is cheap and then there is less expensive. In the long run, I have found that great glass, I hardly never sale, I just move from rifle to rifle. When you get a great scope that works you won't part with it,but you will have different own more rifles over the years.

Before investing in optics, try some different brands of the inexpensive match ammo. CCI standard velocity sucks in all my rifles. Wolf and SK are what I practice with.

Im trying to find a source local for good 22lr ammo...
Id really like to try and get my hands on some Wolf MT or RWS R50

I keep hearing different things.. R50 has to much lube, Wolf is the same as SK match so on and so on. However everyone I talk to keeps on mentioning the SM340 and how good it is out to 200yds plus. I think im going to give the 340 stuff a try first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jake7.62</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I keep hearing different things...</div></div>

And you always will.

No two rifles are exactly the same, to include two subsequent serial numbered ones. There are always variations in manufacturing. Therefore, what fires moa in one doesn't necessarily mean that it will do the same in the next.

It all comes down to trial and error for each firearm, and what works best in yours...