• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

DRD Tactical Paratus Rifle

AvsFan

Minuteman
Oct 2, 2011
Colorado
Thoughts? I like the fact it can be stored in a small pelican case broken down into a very compact package.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nm1g--T0uGo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nm1g--T0uGo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

AvsFan
confused.gif

Re: DRD Tactical Paratus Rifle

Its a big expensive piece of shit. The feeding is atrocious, the fit and finish is horrible, the nickel boron looks like it was applied by a fifth grader, the machine marks left on the outside of the receivers are indicative of a drunk doing the machining, the recoil is way more than it should be, but its bad ass because it fits in a tiny case

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its a big expensive piece of shit. The feeding is atrocious, the fit and finish is horrible, the nickel boron looks like it was applied by a fifth grader, the machine marks left on the outside of the receivers are indicative of a drunk doing the machining, the recoil is way more than it should be, but its bad ass because it fits in a tiny case </div></div>

Needs a second reading. I have some first hand experience with it.

I too have had the opportunity to lay hands on one, and I dont agree, we fired 3 magazines of various types of ammo through it and had no problems. The NibX looked like, NibX, while its not my favorite, it does generally provide good metal protection. I did not see any flaws in the finish or the machine work. While a $5k rifle is not in everybody's price range. You have to respect the inovation. Where else can you get a Title 1 semi-auto 308 that can fit in a camera case.

You fired 3 mags, 60 rounds max. I fired it all day. Not saying your experience isn't right, just saying that I had said writer bring 550 rounds to shoot. I got tired of clearing malfunctions after about magazine 10. I would really like to see this rifle do well, but at 5K its not going anywhere big anytime fast.

Granted my sample size of 1 rifle is probably not indicative of the overall quality of DRD but its hard to change a first impression.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJefferson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too have had the opportunity to lay hands on one, and I dont agree, we fired 3 magazines of various types of ammo through it and had no problems. The NibX looked like, NibX, while its not my favorite, it does generally provide good metal protection. I did not see any flaws in the finish or the machine work. While a $5k rifle is not in everybody's price range. You have to respect the inovation. Where else can you get a Title 1 semi-auto 308 that can fit in a camera case. </div></div>

Seriously who gives a shit that it can fit in a camera case?

I can transport a 16" 308 ar just fine with out anyone knowing in a normal back pack

I will defer on posting the writers name until he tells me that he is ok with it.

TJefferson, judging by your registration date and all your posts I'm guessing you have a vetted interest in this mall ninja's dream prison purse carry able platform?

I have no vetted intrest, I just wont hesitate to throw the bullshit flag. I know the company, and have had the opportunity to shoot it. I was inquiring as to the writer who had the T&E weapon because I suspect they dont exists.

Reactions: Richc211

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJefferson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no vetted intrest, I just wont hesitate to throw the bullshit flag. I know the company, and have had the opportunity to shoot it. I was inquiring as to the writer who had the T&E weapon because I suspect they dont exists. </div></div>

Please by all means, if the rifle is still in my shop waiting to be transfered to him Ill snap you a picture. Likewise, if you know what the bolt and carrier group look like I'd be more than happy to send you a picture. Throw the bullshit flag all you want to. It makes no difference to me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJefferson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone who would like to transport a rifle in a discrete fashion. </div></div>

Your a mall ninja, now shut the fuck up while grown men are talking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJefferson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no vetted intrest, I just wont hesitate to throw the bullshit flag. I know the company, and have had the opportunity to shoot it. I was inquiring as to the writer who had the T&E weapon because I suspect they dont exists. </div></div>

Seems awfully quite since I posted a little photo evidence that I in fact had hands on with the rifle.

crazy.gif
who'd a thunk it

I will wait for your friends article to see if his evaluation concurs with yours. I read Jim Shephard's article in The Shooting Wire(I believe he is also from the Birmingham area) and according to his article he did not see any of the issues that you stated.

call it as you may. I experienced quite a few feeding malfunctions and the finish work on the gun itself was terrible for that price point as was the machine marks left on the outside of the receivers.

If you go back and read Jim Shepards article on Shootingwire, you will see the last picture is of Jim shooting the rifle. Care to take a gander at who might have taken that picture? Likewise if you still don't believe that I shot the rifle, I can go snap a picture of the rolling target that Jim was seen shooting at in that last picture as well because it is still here. Of course Jim's article doesn't agree with my thoughts on the rifle. After all, a gun writer is about as biased as biased comes. Those advertising dollars and cheap rifles sure play into a part of a writer saying good things about a rifle. Jim decided that the PMags were bad, so I took his 2 PMags and put them in my SR25 and they ran like a top.

Again, I have absolutely no agenda with the company or the rifle, just stating my facts and I feel that I put enough rounds down range each month that I can make an informed decision on when something works the way it should and when it doesn't, I am also smart enough to know where to place the blame.

I'm retarded enough to know that no one outside of call of duty or the movies has use for a rifle that can be put in a briefcase for "discreet carry", especially at 6k dollars. I'm braindead enough to know the target audience for this rifle is the mall ninjas, but wonder how successful it'd be even to that market being that the typical mall ninja demographic is a white male, age 25-40, lives in mom's basement and works at taco bell or Costco. Doubt he can afford a 6k dollar rifle. Now I will admit that it's a quite interesting design, I just question it's price point and practical purpose, you know, outside of playing hit man dress up games with buttbuddies at the range.

That article is the same as it was when it was first published Rick, don't see anything other than what I have already said?????

Go back and read my post 3 up from here. I gave my opinions, which in fact were true, Jim is a writer and therefor that plays into the bias in gun reviews just remember that.

I am assuming you haven't the foggiest idea what you are talking about Rick, so please enlighten me as to what MY opinion should be.

I meant to post a link to this preface to Shepard's article. Based on your reply, I am led to believe that you didn't understand that my comment which was merely "It doesn't sound like you and Jim Shepard are buddies any more." was based on Shepards reaction to your hide postings. I think any casual observer reading that preface would wonder about the state of your current friendship with Shepard. It's a first for me to see a specific forum, or person mentioned by screen name like that in any publication, internet or otherwise. I think that's called the bully pulpit, which is overkill considering only 785 people have read this thread and thousands have read his words.

Rick

http://www.shootingwire.com/

FEATURE
Sometimes, This Is What You Get
On August 13, we became the first industry publication to preview DRD Tactical's Paratus takedown AR-style semiauto rifle. I thought it was a story worth telling. After all, not everything developed to compete for very specific special-ops contracts ever sees the light of day with consumers.

The story (you can read it for your self at http://www.shootingwire.com/features/226328) didn't have a lot of technical information or extensive test results. That's because I'm not a technical writer, former SEAL Team sniper or even a stealthy mall ninja. I'm a recreational shooter who happens to be a reporter.

I'd be stupid to claim otherwise. A technical enthusiast needs less time than Jerry Miculek needs to clean a plate rack in the Colt Speed Challenge (1.82 seconds, if you're interested) to know that I'm interested in how something shoots and not particularly tuned-in to technical details. That's true about watches, cameras, optics and computers, too. Love 'em all, but they're tools. I'm a tool user; not a tool maker. But I do appreciate the knowledge and precision that goes into the making of fine equipment, whatever their purpose.

For more than four decades, I've been a reporter. I've covered a lot of different areas, but have a lifelong interest in the process of designing, building and bringing products to market. Knowing what new product was specifically designed to do helps evaluate it. As a rule, I don't waste time (yours or mine) writing about something I don't like.

My critiques go to the manufacturer. Based on my experience, negative observations made directly to them benefit everyone. Negative observations before a product comes to market may mean a decent product gets modified and becomes a very good one. Conversely, solid products that I don't like aren't damaged by a personal preference. Working that way, products succeed - or fail- based on your buying decisions, not my preferences.

Working that way isn't selling out - it's working in good faith with manufacturers -and readers- who trust me to be honest. Today isn't about building a reliable rifle, it's about building a reliable story.

A couple of people participated -indirectly - in a portion of the Paratus rifle story. As a result, one posted some very negative comments on a web board (SnipersHide.com).

He also accused me of being dishonest because "after all, a gun writer is about as biased as biased comes. Those advertising dollars and cheap rifles sure play into a part of a writer saying good things about a gun".

This posting, unfortunately, wasn't just the opinion of a self-proclaimed expert. It was a toxic mixture of a little first-person experience and a whole lot of presumption. As the old expression goes, a little knowledge is a dangerous weapon.

This expert (a/k/a Deadly301) being included in any part of my evaluative process was a mistake won't repeat. I didn't bother to explain the gun he handled and shot was never intended to be sold at retail. In the gun business, that's not unusual.

A majority of the guns you see demonstrated on television, displayed on magazine covers, or otherwise reviewed aren't final production models. Lead times mean guns sometimes need to be provided for testing, photography and evaluation months before they're announced, much less put into full-production.

"Deadly301" had no way of knowing that. So....he described the gun from his viewpoint as a consumer/sales clerk. Thought it was less than perfect in fit and finish. Said so in some pretty unflattering terms.

Remember the old parable about blind men describing an elephant?

He hadn't seen concept drawings, talked with the designer, looked at early design models - or seen the military specifications the gun was designed to meet. He had no way of knowing because he was never part of that process.

As far as the comment about gun writers, that's his opinion. As Abraham Lincoln purportedly said, "It is far better to keep silent and be considered a fool than speak and remove all doubt."

His cheap-seat comment didn't just insulted gun writers in general - it insulted me personally- and any of my readers' intelligence. He doesn't think you're smart enough to know if someone's shilling a product. Wrong again. A reader called the whole discussion thread to my attention.

It's the kind of relationship we have, and it's based on time and trust. Neither of which I'd trade for any product, no matter how unique. We have each other's backs.

Here's what was accurate about Deadly301's comments: he was present for a (small) portion of my story preparation. I'm not aware of his "extensive" time spent on any Paratus - and 500 rounds of .308 ammo certainly isn't in my testing budget.

His "details" don't matter because his base premise was wrong. He assumed he was looking at a rifle identical to one he might one day be trying to sell a customer. It wasn't.

The fit and finish he trashed were exactly what I'd expected. I wasn't reviewing an open-stock gun- I was previewing an entirely new gun. It's an accepted way to get stories ready before guns are formerly announced. Distributors frequently buy based on pre-production models.

And changes don't stop after the introductory stories are written. Last week, I received a new spring that's an upgrade for the test gun. It's the standard spring on all production guns.

See what I mean?

As the GOP holds their convention this week, I guess it's appropriate that I give you some sage advice from Ronald Reagan: "Trust. But verify."

Be safe and enjoy your holiday weekend.

--Jim Shepherd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That article is the same as it was when it was first published Rick, don't see anything other than what I have already said?????

Go back and read my post 3 up from here. I gave my opinions, which in fact were true, Jim is a writer and therefor that plays into the bias in gun reviews just remember that.

I am assuming you haven't the foggiest idea what you are talking about Rick, so please enlighten me as to what MY opinion should be. </div></div>

Jim can say as he likes, he has his story I have mine. Sure Jim didn't mention it was a pre production rifle, only that RSR had just bought 50 just like this, so presumably I thought it was a production model. Jim knows where I am 5 days a week.

Jim says I called him dishonest, which I didn't. I like Jim, but he is a gun writer and tv show host. To think advertising dollars don't increase the review is just goofy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That blatent bias is why I havent bought a gun rag in over 10 years!!! Id trust a fellow hiders opinion 1000X over any rag that is likely more usefull in the can. </div></div>

This times eleventeen billion.

I work for magazines, I know how the advertiser/editor reach around works.

The real test will be to see how many of these $6k wunderguns sell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jim can say as he likes, he has his story I have mine. Sure Jim didn't mention it was a pre production rifle, only that RSR had just bought 50 just like this, so presumably I thought it was a production model. Jim knows where I am 5 days a week.

Jim says I called him dishonest, which I didn't. I like Jim, but he is a gun writer and tv show host. To think advertising dollars don't increase the review is just goofy. </div></div>

On one hand, I think you should've spoken to Jim before you posted any further. I'm not sure if you did that as you stated. Of course, this probably wouldn't be a problem except that I'm betting a shill reported back to Jim exactly what was posted.

I think there is a definite difference between being a poster on a forum and having yourself out on the web publicly as a means of making a living. I'm not sure you should call people out after the fact when you as a writer/evaluator might not have been completely earnest reporting the functionality of the product.

I'm not saying anybody is dishonest. I'm saying if you do have feeding problems it would be more prudent to report that, report that it's a pre-production sample, and report what the manufacturer had to comment.

I'd be more inclined to buy a product if that was the case and the answer was yes, pre-prod model had a problem with X brand magazine and we've corrected the issue. I don't think anybody expects to buy a 100% trouble free machine 100% of the time, or they're not very realistic. It's how the problem IS handled IF one occurs.

Having read the review, I think anybody that would spend this coin on this over a DTA, AI, or custom is crazy anyhow. I don't care about eyesight at 25 yards, Mr. Magoo ought to be putting them through the same hole if it's worth 6k. But what do I know? I'm just a guy posting on the web...

If I had been told the rifle I handled was a pre production rifle, that would have been included in my post. Jim also says that he didn't say it was a pre production rifle. His exact words were RSR just bought 50 just like this. To me that sounds like a production gun.

Also, he says we were indirectly involved, to me that also means that we just looked at it. I actually shot Jim's rifle and ammo, so I would think that I was directly tied to it. <span style="font-weight: bold">Jim writing that response was the first I had seen when the link was posted a couple posts up.</span> I didn't know that Jim had even seen this, but there is a reason that after shooting the DRD that I brought my personal SR25 out and made the comment "this is a battle rifle"

Likewise, the accuracy was ok. At 50 yds with Magpul MBUS sights shooting at 6 inch circles, it was roughly a 2.5-3 inch group. I have no knowledge of its "true accuracy" testing though.

I'm very well aware of who went and made Jim aware of this thread. There is a person in this thread that has 7 posts on this site all of which pertain to the DRD Paratus rifle.