• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Edible plants of the inland northwest

Re: Edible plants of the inland northwest

Evergreen State College in Olympia 360-867-6000.
They have a ton of info available and even operate an organic farm on the campus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know of a good detailed book on this subject?
I have purchased a few but they all seem to leave out so many plants. Any help would be great. </div></div>

"Avoid hemlock" Socrates
grin.gif

a good rule of thumb is to break the plant in half and rub liquid produced on your skin.. wait a little while and if you have no reaction eat the fucking thing. Who needs books for this shit?

An additional list of edible plants in the Pacific NW is at:

http://www.ernestartist.org/PlantsPacificNW0001.htm

One person's list of edible plants in the pacific northwest:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/edible-plants-pacific-northwest-38890/

Some Books (to check out at the local library or buy on Amazon.com):

<span style="color: #009900">Wild Harvest: Edible Plants of the Pacific Northwest [Paperback] Terry Domico (Author)

Plants Of The Pacific Northwest Coast: Washington, Oregon, British Columbia & Alaska [Paperback] Jim Pojar (Author)

Northwest Foraging: The Classic Guide to Edible Plants of the Pacific Northwest [Paperback] Doug Benoliel (Author)

Medicinal Plants of the Pacific West [Paperback] Michael Moore (Author), Mimi Kamp (Illustrator)

The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants [Paperback] Samuel Thayer (Author)

Edible and Medicinal Plants of the West [Paperback] Gregory L. Tilford (Author)

Huckleberry Country: Wild Food Plants of the Pacific Northwest [Paperback] Mary Thompson (Author)

Wild Berries of the Pacific Northwest [Paperback] J. E. Underhill (Author)

Wild Edible & Medicinal Plants: Alaska, Canada & Pacific Northwest Rainforest, Vol 2 [Spiral-bound] Carol R. Biggs (Author)</span>

A more complete list of books at amazon on the topic is at:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_lpo_...+plants&rh=i:aps,k:+northwest++edible++plants

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oregon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An additional list of edible plants in the Pacific NW is at:

http://www.ernestartist.org/PlantsPacificNW0001.htm

One person's list of edible plants in the pacific northwest:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/edible-plants-pacific-northwest-38890/

Some Books (to check out at the local library or buy on Amazon.com):

<span style="color: #009900">Wild Harvest: Edible Plants of the Pacific Northwest [Paperback] Terry Domico (Author)

Plants Of The Pacific Northwest Coast: Washington, Oregon, British Columbia & Alaska [Paperback] Jim Pojar (Author)

Northwest Foraging: The Classic Guide to Edible Plants of the Pacific Northwest [Paperback] Doug Benoliel (Author)

Medicinal Plants of the Pacific West [Paperback] Michael Moore (Author), Mimi Kamp (Illustrator)

The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants [Paperback] Samuel Thayer (Author)

Huckleberry Country: Wild Food Plants of the Pacific Northwest [Paperback] Mary Thompson (Author)

Wild Berries of the Pacific Northwest [Paperback] J. E. Underhill (Author)

Wild Edible & Medicinal Plants: Alaska, Canada & Pacific Northwest Rainforest, Vol 2 [Spiral-bound] Carol R. Biggs (Author)</span>

A more complete list of books at amazon on the topic is at:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_lpo_...+plants&rh=i:aps,k:+northwest++edible++plants
</div></div>
I have read all these books and still feel that each has its own good ideas but lacks big time. It would take all of these to cover what is in the woods instead of one book having it all. I think I will just print off color copies from the link previously posted and make my own for taking into the woods. Thanks for everyone who added.

Is this part of Idaho that is desert or forest? (Big difference).

Here we have so much, huckleberries, tall crankberries (always grow out of a dead cedar stump), blackberries, salmonberries...

You can eat doug fir tree bark too. Tea from the leaves, etc.

Dandilion's, leaves (Best young), Dandilion roots...

Man there is just so much you can eat vs cannot..

I've got a book, It's missing a few items but it also has the medicinal plants - see if I can find time to get them documented for ya.

Another book that will help is Mountain Medicine not for eats but herbs to make you well while in the bush .We eat a lot of greens and wild tubers in Alaska & berries biol willow bush bark for tea for pain

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this part of Idaho that is desert or forest? (Big difference).

Here we have so much, huckleberries, tall crankberries (always grow out of a dead cedar stump), blackberries, salmonberries...

You can eat doug fir tree bark too. Tea from the leaves, etc.

Dandilion's, leaves (Best young), Dandilion roots...

Man there is just so much you can eat vs cannot..

I've got a book, It's missing a few items but it also has the medicinal plants - see if I can find time to get them documented for ya. </div></div>
I live in North Idaho in heavy wooded and mountains. What book did you have?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oregon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

I just (3 weeks ago) took an edible and medicinal plants class with a bunch of DOW people and this was the book we all used.

The take home point was to be 10000% sure you know what you're about to eat because there are a lot of plants that are nearly impossible to distinguish the difference between the safe version and the kill you painfully version.