Effects of mirage with 35x NF scope

Ryken93

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2021
Steamboat Springs, CO
Does anyone have experience shooting with 35 x magnification, specifically 1200-1700 yards…. Because I’m getting significant unpredictable POI some days, and crunching the numbers just isn’t making sense… so I’ve come to wonder if mirages are giving me problems?

Why don’t you just ask this in the thread you’ve already created?

First off…. I did, thanks for your comment on it, but obviously you didn’t read all the thread…

2nd, I wanted specific exposure to this question, and you proved my point why.

Set up your rifle at your mile target.
Get your parallax correct and watch your target. It will swim around through the mirage.

Next, adjust your parallax to where it sees the most mirage.
Now watch your target swim around even more.

The target doesn't move, just your view of it.

The closer you are to the ground, the more mirage is visible.

Does mirage cause shifting impacts?
It does if you don't understand how it moves the image around.

Mirage affects you even at 100yds, so it'll surely affect you at a mile.

How about your parallax? Is it adjusted properly? Do you adjust it based on the imprinted numbers or actually removing parallax from your image?

Then you can add in variable lighting conditions, wind, wind direction changes, updrafts, air with different temperatures and a host of other factors.

Mirage does not change your impact. Mirage only changes your ability to identify location of desired impact point. Sun does not change your point of impact again only your ability to identify the proper location of desired impact. Back your scope power way down and bracket the target. The increase in ambient temperature will change your point of impact based off of a program that is run at a different temperature as air density changes and volatility of powder changes with temperature swing. I would suggest doing a tall Target and also confirming that you're click values match.

Mirage does not change your impact. Mirage only changes your ability to identify location of desired impact point. Sun does not change your point of impact again only your ability to identify the proper location of desired impact. Back your scope power way down and bracket the target. The increase in ambient temperature will change your point of impact based off of a program that is run at a different temperature as air density changes and volatility of powder changes with temperature swing. I would suggest doing a tall Target and also confirming that you're click values match.
Thanks… yes, I understand the mirage and light is not actually changing the poi, it’s my perception of where I hold the crosshairs. I’m going to try shooting at 35x and 15x with the same click values, and see if I get different POIs… yeah my target is a 30” circle, I would like to get an 18”x72” target.

this has been my first couple days on the forum, although I’ve been reading threads for a couple years…
Anyways I appreciate the info you guys are giving me.
I’ll try to form my questions better in the future.