Nov 13, 2010
Mid -Michigan
Archery 2010
Just finished my euro mount.
IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

Re: Euro mount 2010

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tikka'd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that skull looks great! what do you use to get it so white? </div></div>

After a soak in proxy and bleach , I let it dry for a week. Then a few lite coats of flat white spray paint.

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shotgun4fur</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tikka'd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that skull looks great! what do you use to get it so white? </div></div>

After a soak in proxy and bleach , I let it dry for a week. Then a few lite coats of flat white spray paint.

Thanks. </div></div>

whats your ratio of proxy to bleach? also how long do you let it stay in?

That looks great. I've got an elk skull I'm going to have done pretty soon...not a trophy bull, but a nice 6x6 all the same. I'm going to have a guy clean it out with beetles. About a $100 so much cheaper than a full mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tikka'd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shotgun4fur</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tikka'd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that skull looks great! what do you use to get it so white? </div></div>

Thanks. </div></div>

whats your ratio of proxy to bleach? also how long do you let it stay in? </div></div>

It's not to scientific. The tray I use holds about 1.5 gal of water , 1 cup of bleach and 3 cups of proxy. I let this one set for 12ish hours. Then rinsed it and let it dry.

Longer soaking will produce a white bone,but will bleach antlers as well. Bleached antler can be stained with a coat or 2 of wood stain.

Glad you guys like it .
Thanks

Tim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T.C.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both look great! I really like the trophy wood plates you guys used.... Did you make them yourselves? </div></div>

Mine came from a local taxidermist, not sure where he orders them from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shotgun4fur</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tikka'd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shotgun4fur</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tikka'd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that skull looks great! what do you use to get it so white? </div></div>

Thanks. </div></div>

whats your ratio of proxy to bleach? also how long do you let it stay in? </div></div>

It's not to scientific. The tray I use holds about 1.5 gal of water , 1 cup of bleach and 3 cups of proxy. I let this one set for 12ish hours. Then rinsed it and let it dry.

Longer soaking will produce a white bone,but will bleach antlers as well. Bleached antler can be stained with a coat or 2 of wood stain.

Glad you guys like it .
Thanks

Tim </div></div>

Now when you say proxy, are you refering to standard hydrogen peroxide from retail stores or is this something different. I have 4 euro mounts and two more in the process all of which were/are done professionally. This looks like a interesting project.

Also is there a different look to a beatled skull? I dont think I ever have seen one.

NC,
Yes just reg retail proxy 3%.

Most taxi shops use bleach/proxy paste. It is used for bleaching hair ie; "bleach blond hair" I can't recall the proxy % but it's 20-40 % I 'm thinking. Since I like the flat white look I'd don't see the need for the added cost .

Bug cleaned skulls are the most natural. You don't loose any pieces parts that might get damaged while boiling /cleaning.

I think the bug skulls are bleached afterwards too.

Tim

Do not use bleach at all. It will turn the bone to chalk in short order, even if sealed. I have had very good luck with 40% creme from the beauty supply shop. After you thoroughly clean the skull, brush on 40% and let sit for a few hours, rinse off with garden hose. Don't get it on your skin, it will burn you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do not use bleach at all. It will turn the bone to chalk in short order, even if sealed. I have had very good luck with 40% creme from the beauty supply shop. After you thoroughly clean the skull, brush on 40% and let sit for a few hours, rinse off with garden hose. Don't get it on your skin, it will burn you. </div></div>

Strange,
I've got one I did long ago. Used 30% bleach and 70% water,soaked it for 24 hours. That was 18 years ago it's still good.

I do agree that the proxy creme will burn you and bad. Best not to use it near anything you don't want ruined.

I'm no expert ,just what I've done.

Bleach may affect bone diff,like an old fossile type vs a fresh one.

I do like the beetle work.

Cool site.

Thier beetle room must stink bad. The taxi I worked for had beetles for awhile. Just a small set up like a 3'x3' area for bugs. Bugs eating rotting flesh will curb your hunger real quick.
STINKY !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do not use bleach at all. It will turn the bone to chalk in short order, even if sealed. I have had very good luck with 40% creme from the beauty supply shop. After you thoroughly clean the skull, brush on 40% and let sit for a few hours, rinse off with garden hose. Don't get it on your skin, it will burn you. </div></div>
Good information. Bleach will not come out of the bone and is corrosive. That is a big no-no for professional taxidermists. Peroxide and "basic white" powder available from a salon supply store is the stuff that the pro's use. I have done 60 or so deer skulls with it and they will never degrade. To degrease the skulls, acetone soak for a week or so is the best. Dawn dish soap and warm water changed every day for two weeks works fairly well too. I have consulted with many experts on the best methods. When you're dealing with a brown bear skull someone paid $30,000 to hunt, you had better get it right. Guys, the skull mounts look great! But please don't tell people to use bleach on their skulls.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shotgun4fur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is this stuff made from ? I haven't been around any for awhile.
http://www.mckenziesp.com/BLP-P13280C2025.aspx

Those greasy bear skulls can be a PITA sometimes. </div></div>
The quick white is powder lightener, i.e. basic white. The other product is 40% peroxide. This is the stuff to use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shotgun4fur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is this stuff made from ? I haven't been around any for awhile.
http://www.mckenziesp.com/BLP-P13280C2025.aspx

Those greasy bear skulls can be a PITA sometimes. </div></div>
The quick white is powder lightener, i.e. basic white. The other product is 40% peroxide. This is the stuff to use. </div></div>

I ment what is it ? Chemical ? powdered bleach ?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raines</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm working on my 1st one, what is the best way to attach the skull to the wood plaque? </div></div>

Set the skull in place and with a pencil mark the plaque under the heaviest part of the skull( where the spine attaches) Using a 1/8" drill bit drill a pilot hole in the bone. Then drill a hole a couple sizes bigger than the screw in the plaque. I like drywall screws. Set the skull back in place and insert the screw from the back of plaque and tighten. The hardest part is not scratching the plaque. You can put a couple pieces of paper under the skull and remove before final tightening. 1-3 screws depending on size of the skull and plaque material.