• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Expensive bubble level Unecessary

FreedomFeens

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2013
I am a frist time scope mounter, I am not mounting on a precision bolt gun but a semi auto .308. The rifle's rail is cut out of the receiver as one piece and the mount (Bobro 30mm) is precision CNC machined so there is no need for lapping or bedding.

I am installing an SWFA 1-6xHD and want to do it right. Is it really necessary to buy expensive scope levels or would these do just fine:

Others Level Bubble - A (Small Block) - HeliPal

I don't see the point in spending so much cash on a bubble level. I was thinking i would put one of these on various parts of the scope/gun to ensure it is level. Might use some sticky tape to hold them in place. The ones above are less than a dollar each, the scope-intentioned bubble levels are $20-$50.

Thoughts?

-Lysander Spooner

get a deck of playing cards for 1.99 or look in your junk drawer(every body has one) for a deck. That or buy a feeler gauge set(which then has more uses).

Start stacking cards(or feeler gauges) between the rail(or mount) and the flat on the bottom of the scope.

I have mounted lots of scopes this way and never had an issue with them not being square to the mount or gun depending on what I was mounting them on.

I used to use feeler gauges/playing cards. Now I'm lazy and just eyeball it. If you get further back behind the rifle, you can watch the vertical line and have it so its pointing to the center if your rail. Scope level to gun ISN'T important. Scope level to gravity IS important.

Use a plumb bob with a thick string to line up your vertical cross hair.... Can't get much more perfect if you want to line it up with gravity.

So hang the bob from the ceiling? How far away is ideal? I would think the farther the better.

I will do the playing cardsw/cheap level and plum bob, like both.

What about a vice? I have a typical vice but not a gun vice. I was thinking i would remove the lower reciever and stock and just set the upper flat on the table after i've determined where i want the scope on the rail.

yea im ocd about scope mounting, so what. :rolleyes:

The plumb bob works very well. I shoot prone and can get in the shooting position to level the optic. This way my natural cant is taken into consideration when mounting the optic.

So hang the bob from the ceiling? How far away is ideal? I would think the farther the better.

What about a vice? I have a typical vice but not a gun vice. I was thinking i would remove the lower reciever and stock and just set the upper flat on the table after i've determined where i want the scope on the rail.

+1 on the OCD...

I typically use my Wheeler professional level kit...works well for me. Wheeler Engineering Professional Reticle Leveling System
The Level Level Level kit is OK too if you don't do multiple mountings throughout the year (I tend to move optics around since I have more guns than glass).

Badger Ordnance has a leveling device ("Dead Level") which may show you how they use the plub bob technique... Gunsmithing Tools | Badger Ordnance

I use my Tipton gun vise...but removing the upper or barreled action from the stock will help if you don't have a "gun" vise.

25 yards or so. I use a rock tied to a rope in the back yard.

+1 for plumb -bob and rope. A white rope (bright white) makes it even easier, I have a buddy that spray painted a length(8feet) of repel rope, international orange for this very thing.

+1 on the level-level-level. You can get them at Midway. One level goes in the action of the rifle and the other on top of the scope turret and you are gtg. I carry a set in my range bag in case I or another shooter may need it.

+1 on the level-level-level. You can get them at Midway. One level goes in the action of the rifle and the other on top of the scope turret and you are gtg. I carry a set in my range bag in case I or another shooter may need it.

Will this level-level-level work with typical AR/SCAR variants or is it only for bolt rifles?

One of the levels is designed to rest inside the action to level the rifle; however, this level also has a flat magnet attached to the bottom so theoretically, any flat surface on the rifle could be used to square the rifle. The other level sits on the turrets or any flat spot on an optic. I use the first level to square the rifle and then place the second level on the scope and once both bubbles are equally square, tighten down the screws and its done.

Midway shows various reviews and has a 3 out of 5 star rating for the product but I have never had an issue with mine and it has always worked. I checked the levels with other levels I have and they matched so I have no complaints.

Last edited:
I drape a cellphone charger over a branch ~ 50 yards. Always have one laying around... Turn magnification up and steady with cord. It's easy to eyeball crosshairs to it. I use a digital angle cube on the rifle, set ring bubble level, adjust reticle to plumb. Works well and fast

I just mounted a new Razor with the playing card trick and it worked great. I've got the Wheeler bubble level from Midway and it's junk. For my anti-cant level I lined up the crosshairs on a plumbob string 100 yards away. Pretty simple. Cheap. Works.

get a deck of playing cards for 1.99 or look in your junk drawer(every body has one) for a deck. That or buy a feeler gauge set(which then has more uses).

Start stacking cards(or feeler gauges) between the rail(or mount) and the flat on the bottom of the scope.

I have mounted lots of scopes this way and never had an issue with them not being square to the mount or gun depending on what I was mounting them on.

this... better then the lvl..

Go to the App Store and download "Clinometer" It's worth having on the phone anyway. I use it to level my trailer when I'm camping all the time.

Just balance it on your elevation dial cap and adjust till the bubble level reads zero and tighten.

Just wanted to let everyone know, i ended up:

adjusting eye relief
using a plumb bob to make it "eye" level while shouldering the rifle
installing to top rings in an X fashion, checking level to my eye against the plum bob and gravity as necessary
Ordered the Wheeler level-level-level, found it unncessary and sent it back.