• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

factory .22lr w/ >16 twist, preferable bolt action

logic factory

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2011
connecticut
i am curious as to what ones options maybe to stabilize the heavier subsonic .22lr rounds? if anyone knows of any options to buy either a factory rifle or swap barrels it may help me abandon this idea or bring it to fruition. thank you for your time.

Re: factory .22lr w/ >16 twist, preferable bolt action

Might wanna try in the rimfire section. The only .22lr that I know of that can't be stabilized with a 1:16 is the Aguila 60gr. I don't recall anyone having incredible results using that round either, so it doesn't make sense to dedicate a rifle just to those.

The most accurate twist for standard subsonic rounds (40gr) is 1:16 (or according to some competitors, 1:16.5).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.</div></div>
i did a quick look for a more appropriate sections and failed to see it. i agree, based on what you mention about the 60grainers it does not make sense to pursue this topic any further. thank you for also sharing the data on twist and bullet weight as it allows me to go forward with my plans, confident i am making a good compromise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jv8246</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.</div></div>
this was another option i was hoping someone else could expose for me. i just wanted to have an idea what a replacement barrel would cost and i assumed it would be for the 10/22 platform. thank you for the link and sharing your experience with the manufacturer's barrel in a different twist.

with the help of the two posts here i have just about solidified my decision. we'll see where another nights sleep brings me.