• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Favorite Caliber & Why?

TEAMSENDIT

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 22, 2008
    whidbey island
    So i have read so many different threads on calibers choices, i thought i would give you guys a chance let everybody know. I am not talking favorite tactical, target, hunting, plinking, etc.... i am talking favorite overall cartridge.

Example

Currently my favorite cartridge is the 6x47 lapua because it is great match round. shoots like a laser, accurate, bucks the wind well, very little recoil, mag feeds great, short coal. It is good for matches, f class, hunting or p-doggin all you need to do is change the bullet selection. Plus it is alittle different which is something i enjoy for some stupid reason.

I am not looking for you guys to argue with each other just your opinion about your fav. not why you don't like someone elses choice to each there own.

Thanks scott

Re: Favorite Caliber & Why?

22lr. Fun, cheap to shoot. Helps with learning to read wind. Accurate with the right set-up. <span style="text-decoration: underline">Most importantly</span>, its easy to get kids involved with the softer report and no kick.

Eddie

I like my .243, I can deer hunt with it. Plan on trying my tactical match shooting with it this January in the mammoth cave match. Its low low recoil. Shoots under .5" @100 yards. Its cheap to shoot, easy to find ammo and can easily go to 1k yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Currently my favorite cartridge is the <span style="font-weight: bold">6XC "long"</span> because it is great match round. shoots like a laser, accurate, bucks the wind well, very little recoil, mag feeds great, short coal. It is good for matches, hunting, p-doggin and <span style="font-weight: bold">coyote chasing</span>,all you need to do is <span style="font-weight: bold">load 105gr or 115gr bullets</span> . <span style="font-weight: bold">Brass is simple to make from 22-250's readily available and cheap</span>. Plus it is different which is something i enjoy for some stupid reason.

</div></div>
    That was easy...!

.22-250 Its my favorite out of all the calibers I own. I liked my first Rem 700 in .22-250 I had to get another one. They are perfect for shooting grounhogs. I like the low recoil and high velocity they provide which gives me the perfect varmint caliber. IMO

6.5 Creedmoor for all the reasons Diggler loves his 6.5x47 Lapua plus the availability of affordable Match ammo. Great bullet selections with high BC's for all the guys reloading for this cartridge and it's gaining popularity and is being offered in more and more factory rifles

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HN7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5.56 :Cheap, plenty surplus ammo and can reach out there if you reload.</div></div>
    +1

All the benefits of easy to find, very accurate round, minimal recoil (i have buddies that shoot 223, because of shoulder/neck injuries), and its more fun from a bolt gun, than it is from a AR.

I'm gonna go with .22lr too. I can afford to shoot it all I want and it is really entertaining at distance. Too bad I can't load my own match shells for it lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Currently my favorite cartridge is the <span style="font-weight: bold">6XC "long"</span> because it is great match round. shoots like a laser, accurate, bucks the wind well, very little recoil, mag feeds great, short coal. It is good for matches, hunting, p-doggin and <span style="font-weight: bold">coyote chasing</span>,all you need to do is <span style="font-weight: bold">load 105gr or 115gr bullets</span> . <span style="font-weight: bold">Brass is simple to make from 22-250's readily available and cheap</span>. Plus it is different which is something i enjoy for some stupid reason.

</div></div>
    That was easy...!</div></div>

very nice editions since we are virtually shooting same ballistics. only difference is brass and primer size.

if i had a 6x47..that would probably be my favorite. but since i really have no experience with one id have to say...

i have alot of fun with good surplus 7.62x54r. when shot with my finnish or polish nagant, they are surprisingly accurate. usually more accurate than i can shoot open sights with my bad eyes.

also, 8mm mauser when i used to be able to get bandoliers of 70 rounds for 2.99..those days are gone.

i love the oldies. not because they are the most accurate or efficient, just cuz i remember having a blast with them as a kid.

edit: i realized this post makes me sound alot older than i actually am. im only 20 haha. but seriously 10 years ago that ammo was dirt cheap! oh well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22lr. Fun, cheap to shoot. Helps with learning to read wind. Accurate with the right set-up. <span style="text-decoration: underline">Most importantly</span>, its easy to get kids involved with the softer report and no kick.

Eddie </div></div>
    Them reasons, plus if I go on a few day camping trip/ in a survival scenario, you can carry an excess of rounds without it weighing to much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.338 Lapua. I'm on my 3rd. I just love slinging 300gr bullets out there at hogs, coyotes, and whatever else comes my way. </div></div>
    I'm guessing "overkill" is definitely NOT in your dictionary.
    grin.gif

223AI- 75 AMAXs @3100 FPS is hard not to like, and burning 26grns of powder doing so simply feels like cheating...

Next would have to be 7mm08. 162s @ 2700 leaves little to be desired. Boringly accurate, good ballistics, and good bbl life.

Great for goofing off, killing bad or misunderstood guys, varmints, or small critters. ammo and component availability is very good. You can take the 90s to 1k Yards (paper killer) or punch 500 rounds at 50 yards w/ out breaking your self.

5.56 because you can modify the stock of an ar by taping a meat mallet to the buffer tube instead and use it to bash a hogs head in if yer out of ammo in a combat scenario. just dont break glass with the muzzle though because it will plug the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22lr. Fun, cheap to shoot. Helps with learning to read wind. Accurate with the right set-up. <span style="text-decoration: underline">Most importantly</span>, its easy to get kids involved with the softer report and no kick.

Eddie </div></div>

Gonna have to agree with Eddie on this one.
    .22's are tons of fun to shoot, target or small game.
    Especially hunting squirrel with a handgun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthew Lundy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6mmbr Norma, easy to load for, tiny recoil, arguably the most accurate cartridge for 200 yards to 600+. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AWP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthew Lundy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6mmbr Norma, easy to load for, tiny recoil, arguably the most accurate cartridge for 200 yards to 600+. </div></div>

+1 </div></div>

+2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HN7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.338 Lapua. I'm on my 3rd. I just love slinging 300gr bullets out there at hogs, coyotes, and whatever else comes my way. </div></div>
    I'm guessing "overkill" is definitely NOT in your dictionary.
    grin.gif
    </div></div>

If your going to kill something, why not kill it good LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 331V8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm gonna go with .22lr too. I can afford to shoot it all I want and it is really entertaining at distance. Too bad I can't load my own match shells for it lol.

</div></div>

same here love the 22lr set up right shoot 1moa about all day given that u cant reload and will have ther shot here and there thats a flyer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So i have read so many different threads on calibers choices, i thought i would give you guys a chance let everybody know. I am not talking favorite tactical, target, hunting, plinking, etc.... i am talking favorite overall cartridge.

Example

Currently my favorite cartridge is the 6x47 lapua because it is great match round. shoots like a laser, accurate, bucks the wind well, very little recoil, mag feeds great, short coal. It is good for matches, f class, hunting or p-doggin all you need to do is change the bullet selection. Plus it is alittle different which is something i enjoy for some stupid reason.

I am not looking for you guys to argue with each other just your opinion about your fav. not why you don't like someone elses choice to each there own.

Thanks scott </div></div>

Hey I'm right with ya on that.You forgot to mention the friggen brass lasts forever!

6mmAR Turbo 40 degree and 30-375R are fantastic too.

<span style="font-size: 26pt">6x47L</span>

I can't believe noone has said this...

I have tried others, and like them alot, particulaly the 6.5s, but I always find myself shooting 308, it is the stand by.

Easy to load, easy to find ammo and components, enormous selection of everything, barrels last damn near forever, and, with the right components, you are not really giving up much in the performance department.

It is solid, it is comfortable, it works. There are other calibers that are better at certain tasks, but 308 is pretty good at everything.

300 Win Mag, 260 Rem, and 270 Win, and not in any order. I love the 300 WM because it hammers shit HARD! And can go a long ways with good energy. The 260 is great for the light recoil, high BC bullets, long range capable and fairly cheap to shoot. The 270 is awesome, since that's what I learned to shoot on, and shot a ton with it. It, too, is a hammer of a round. But if I could only shoot one caliber, it would be a 300WM. It's not new, but is still somewhat sexy of a caliber, and is easy to load for with abundant bullet options. Everyone should own some form of a .308 caliber.

I would say 22 long rifle. It is really cheap to shoot. I have an accurate gun but it is still very challenging to shoot at a little distance. Another bonus is you can almost always find a place to shoot it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5.56 because you can modify the stock of an ar by taping a meat mallet to the buffer tube instead and use it to bash a hogs head in if yer out of ammo in a combat scenario. just dont break glass with the muzzle though because it will plug the barrel.</div></div>

couldnt have said it better, though dont wanna shoot my 5.56 too much, bullets are "precious"

"Henh..., henh.., henh...", says Renfield...

Why on God's green Earth should I limit myself to one single favorite cartridge? That's like limiting myself to one favorite entree, or one favorite beer, one favorite wine.

My life has a lot more choices, and a lot less rigid definitions. It's an approach I recommend for others, too...

17HMR, because it is almost as fast as my 308, I have found it to be fairly accurate to 300yrds. It is cheap to shoot compared to the centerfire ammo. Works on coyotes to 150 at least. And the last and best reason I don't have to reload for it!! Rthur

this thread is making me so proud 4 votes for the 6mmbr and only one for the 308. i would have never guessed.

I love the 6br but would slightly prefer the 6 dasher. you people must really love accuracy because thats what you get with the 6 br based cartridges.

I guess I am the first to mention .204

Super flat, remote switch-like fast, and great up to a yote with a heavy bullet. REALLY enjoyed to watch the show through a scope when a rabbit blew up at 387 yards...lol.

30-06. If you cant get it done with a 30-06 you dont need to do it. 110gr V-maxs at 3500fps will zap a prairie dog out a long damn ways. 208 A-Maxs are good to well over a mile. Hogs, Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, and everything in between has fallen for over 100 years to the '06. Ammo is plentiful, loading data is even more plentiful. Guns chambered in it are more common than mosquitoes. Dont see a down side to 30-06.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Everyone should own some form of a .308 caliber. </div></div>

Quoted for truth... and I agree 100%

i like my 25.06 works great for deer antelope havent got a chance to try it on an elk yet but im sure it would do the trick leaves a big ass hole in coyotes and turns pdogs into grease spots with the right bullet and dont hardly kick

No such thing...depends on use. But, if you pinned me down to one cartridge, it'd be between 223REM and 22LR. If the world came to an end, the ability to carry thousands of 22LR rounds is priceless.
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No such thing...depends on use. But, if you pinned me down to one cartridge, it'd be between 223REM and 22LR. If the world came to an end, the ability to carry thousands of 22LR rounds is priceless.
    smile.gif
    </div></div>

Spot on. Rifles are like golf clubs-you need a different one for each situation (at least that's what I keep telling my wife) But if I had to grab just one rifle and survive the
    .22LR can do almost anything I need it to do and 10K rounds is pretty good insurance.

For Cantalopes,Deer,Elk .270-7mm
    For Bears .338 wm
    For targets,pdogs, and whistlepigs. .223
    For longer range fun. 308.300wm.
    For Zombies and other bumps in the night it's the smoothbores.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunGuru727</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally like MY improved cartridge. It is a .50 case necked down to .308 and then full length sized too .22 then back up to .308 to accept pencil tips for bullets. </div></div>

I do something a bit simpler. I take a 30mm shell and neck it down to .177 and shoot airgun pellets at Mach 13. It's sub-MOA out to at least five thousand fathoms.

In seriousness nothing is more fun for me than shooting some .223 rounds through a naked AR 15.

7mm Rem Mag. I'st Hipower rifle I ever bought. Takes every deer I've shot rihgt off their feet, even at 400+yard. Can reach way out there to 1000yds. Little rough on the shoulder, but I'm ok whith that. I like the 308 and I would love to shoot 6.5 either grendel or creedmoer, not sure which I'd like more, so if there is anybody close to me that has a 6.5 rifle and would let me send a little lead down range, I'd jump on the opportunity! 6.5x47 Lupua has to have something going for it as well since some of the military branches are contimplating it for the new sniper cartridge! just my.02 worth