• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Final Build Pics / Range Report Thanks to the HIDE

jakerz3

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2011
Oklahoma
I started a thread a few weeks ago ( http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2777869&page=1 ) asking everyone for advice on an SPR style AR. I took everyone's advice and added a few things of my own and came up with one hell of a rifle. This thing can flat out shoot.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Parts List</span></span>

-Spike's upper receiver

-WOA SPR 18" barrel 1/7 & Bolt

-Spike's bolt carrier

-Samson evo 12.37" rail

-Gun fighter Mod 4 charging handle

-AAC blackout 51t flash hider (host for my next purchase)

-Vltor low profile gas block

-Spike's lower receiver with CTR stock (for now) and MIAD grip

-Geissele SSA-E trigger

-Larue/Troy BUIS (already have these)

-Burris XTR 1-4x with P.E.P.R. mount (already have these)

The groups in the pics below were the first shot out of the barrel, trying to put it on paper and see what it could do. Still need to sight the scope in to the rifle. The one hanging out there on the left was a called flier. Theses groups were shot from 200 yards with a Burris XTR 1-4x (set on 4x for these shots), setting on a gripod only, using 55gr PMC bronze. Definitely a sub-moa rifle. It's scary to think what the rifle could do with some match grade 69gr ammo and a higher power scope.

On a side note, I have never used a high quality trigger before. I can't say enough good things about the Geissele trigger. The thing is just amazing. I was hoping I wouldn't notice that much of a difference (so I wouldn't have to replace the trigger in my other AR), but I can't deny how much of a difference this trigger makes.

Thanks to everyone that helped me with this build. I couldn't have done it without y'all.

-Jake

Re: Final Build Pics and Range Report

P9173783.jpg

P9173784.jpg

P9173781.jpg

P9173785.jpg

P9173787.jpg

Re: Final Build Pics / Range Report Thanks to the HIDE

Nice job! Always a relief when it not only looks good but it can actually shoot too!!! A build like that will have you grinning like a fool just to take it out and look at it, let alone when you get to take it out and shoot it.

All that research and head scratching that you put into putting this together has paid off. Now you can kick back and reap the rewards of your efforts. Enjoy!
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Awesymoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love it, Always wanted a 5.56 precision rig... However the power of the $ and the "budget" do not allow Great build, Where did you find the evo rail? </div></div>

Thanks.

I purchased it direct from Samson.

http://www.samson-mfg.com/ar-15_html/product/Evolution-12_37.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice build. Should be a shooter. I would ditch the grip pod and get a real bipod though. </div></div>

I'm torn on the grip pod. I want a grip (i like the AFG) for run and gun, and like a bipod for the longer range stuff. The grip pod is not the best grip or bipod. It does however, bridge that gap pretty well though. the bipod only really gets used when I go prone (or when sighting in a rifle), so i'll prolly ditch the bipod idea all together and just use a AFG. I want to keep this rifle as light as possible for run and gun. I don't know... I'm on the fence on this subject.... i'll just have to try each and see what works out best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shredder58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice job! Always a relief when it not only looks good but it can actually shoot too!!! A build like that will have you grinning like a fool just to take it out and look at it, let alone when you get to take it out and shoot it.

All that research and head scratching that you put into putting this together has paid off. Now you can kick back and reap the rewards of your efforts. Enjoy!
cool.gif
</div></div>

Thank you very much. There was a lot of homework involved on this one, but i'm glad to see how it turned out. Next mod will be the 'ol rattle can.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 32tudor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice I have built 2 on my own ,the reason I went woit build was they want way too much to buy assembled </div></div>

yeah. I figured it's like anything else. I can pick and choose the parts I want. For example, instead of $400 rails, I can buy $200 ones and spend the extra $$ on a nice trigger. Building is definitely the way to go. Plus it was fun. Except the gas block... It was a pain in the ass to get the gas tube pinned in. Other than that, it was a breeze. This was my first build too. Anybody can put an AR together as long as you have the right tools.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice build. Should be a shooter. I would ditch the grip pod and get a real bipod though. </div></div>

I'm torn on the grip pod. I want a grip (i like the AFG) for run and gun, and like a bipod for the longer range stuff. The grip pod is not the best grip or bipod. It does however, bridge that gap pretty well though. the bipod only really gets used when I go prone (or when sighting in a rifle), so i'll prolly ditch the bipod idea all together and just use a AFG. I want to keep this rifle as light as possible for run and gun. I don't know... I'm on the fence on this subject.... i'll just have to try each and see what works out best. </div></div>

Why don't you just get an additional rail section to run your AFG and keep a rail section out fron for a Harris on a QD mount (or whatever bipod you run). That way you can pack your bipod if you want for precision work but can still run and gun if that's how you want it.

I use a YHM mount for my MEGA and have my AFG mounted back a bit. I haven't shot it this way yet but throwing it up and handling it is fine with the bipod mounted there. I just have the AFG back aways so the bipod doesn't interfere with my grip. And no, the Podlock doesn't get in the way.

You might give this a try. The Gripod does bridge the gap as you said but its not great at either application.

1361.jpg

The rail is F'n awesome. It's a great piece. To be honest though, the barrel and the trigger make this gun. I feel like I could you any other manufacturers pieces and get the same results, as long as I had this barrel and trigger.

But yeah, I like the way the Samson rail feels, and it bolts up nice and tight. Alignment was perfect. Adding rail pieces is a breeze too. And it is super light. Just a great rail. Thanks for pointing me in their direction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice build. Should be a shooter. I would ditch the grip pod and get a real bipod though. </div></div>

I'm torn on the grip pod. I want a grip (i like the AFG) for run and gun, and like a bipod for the longer range stuff. The grip pod is not the best grip or bipod. It does however, bridge that gap pretty well though. the bipod only really gets used when I go prone (or when sighting in a rifle), so i'll prolly ditch the bipod idea all together and just use a AFG. I want to keep this rifle as light as possible for run and gun. I don't know... I'm on the fence on this subject.... i'll just have to try each and see what works out best. </div></div>

I don't have a ton of experience with a grip pod but my assessment was the same as yours. Doesn't do either task very well.

Harris on a ADM QD mount is what I have on my quasi-SPR. I saw the SS barrel and assumed you were going SPR'ish. I think as long as you get a QD mount you can have best of both worlds.

Not a huge AFG fan. I don't hate them but I don't think they do anything special. I use hand stops or short fore grips (I really like RVG's cut down to maybe 2" long). I achieve a similar hold as an AFG but am able to grab more of the handguard. I think it gives me better control.

Hey just a heads up the YHM isn't a qd mount, its a bolt on, but all you have to do is throw on a harris. Its about 30 bucks as opposed to 60-80 (our whatever qds run). Its a trade off.

lol, i'm torn on the AFG as well. On my other AR's I just run a stubby and use it as a handstop like you were saying. I thought I would try the AFG for better muzzle control since it has a longer barrel then i am used to. time will tell. you might see one for sale soon.
wink.gif

I see what your saying on the YHM, which is a valid point. Definitely cheaper and i can basically get the same results. I think i'll try the QD out, so it will be easy to swap from host to host. Thanks for the heads up on it though. Options are always nice!

With everything you see on the rifle in the pic (sling, optic, empty mag, etc) it comes in around 9 lbs. There is definitely more weight in the front, but nothing that isn't manageable. I'd like to install a UBR, but I had a spare CTR already and it is doing it's job for now. I just don't know if the extra pound the UBR is going to add is worth it...