• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Finally got my 10FCP-K

Vedak

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
Hi Guys,

New here, thought I'd share a few photos I took. Picked this up last week, and slowly the parts I ordered started showing up.
Mounted everything up, and realized the med. rings were too high. But it will do for now, since money is tight.

I am looking to save up for a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 scope. I'd also like to go with a Mcmillan A3-5 stock in the future.

Rifle is currently setup as follows:
Savage Arms 10FCP-K .308
SWFA SS 10x42
EGW 20MOA Base
EGW Med. Rings
Karsten Cheek Piece
Butler Creek Flip Ups
Harris 6-9'' Bipod

FCP-K_6.jpg

FCP-K_4.jpg

FCP-K_3copy.jpg

Re: Finally got my 10FCP-K

Thanks Axeman!

I am already looking into a new stock, and setting it up with a 10rd mag.

Any suggestions for drop it parts, or something with minimal work that I can do myself?

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/Magazines.html

Prepare to have a wait.

Give the accu-stock/karsten combo a chance. I had that exact same set up (minus the magazine/DBM suggestion) and it performed just fine the way it was.

Congrats on a set up that makes sense and will be fun to have.

Once you look into the ability to run a new barrel in under an hour without a gunsmith- you will be obsessing over every short action cartridge that uses a .473 bolt face.

Nice stick I have one too. A new stock will be tricky due to the accustock having the bolt release on the bottom. As of now I don't know anybody doing bottom metal for this application that will let you use AI mags. You can get 9 rounders from Sharp Shooters. This means to go to a aftermarket stock you need them to inlet to your stock DBM. I thought about doing the same thing but, When 175SMK and 178AMAX shoot 3/4 groups at 100yds all day its hard to put more money into it.

I'm picking up a fcpxp on Thursday and I'm super excited! This is my first Savage am I understanding this right you can have one gun with multiple calibers as long as they use a .473 bolt face?

Welcome to the dark side, I to went over about a month and a half ago. I mounted a cross fire scope on it while I am saving up for a pst. Mine so far likes 175 smk's and I am trying to be consistent in my shooting. Some groups great some groups not so great. Me not the gun.

thats right sith, but master that 308 first. after that, and a few tools, barrels are on and off in 10 minutes. also click on my name and view my posts. there is a lot of savage info there and some DIY stuff too. stuff on making a barrel vise and where to get the wrench cheapest. if you need any help, just shout out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sithlord</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm picking up a fcpxp on Thursday and I'm super excited! This is my first Savage am I understanding this right you can have one gun with multiple calibers as long as they use a .473 bolt face?</div></div>

you just gotta change the barrel out first
smile.gif

part1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsM6_J8doIE
part2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeCaeoNNREg

There are good written tutorials online as well.

The Choate tactical stock is available inletted for the Savage DBM. It is a good stock, you can use the karsten on it.
The Savage accustock and new non-accustock rifles are the same rifle with the same action with the holes in the same place. The accustock models have the bolt release on the bottom of the trigger guard, but it does not matter, it will fit.

The accustock is a very good stock, there is no reason to change it, unless you just don't like it. Just make sure that when you remove the stock, you torque it exactly like they tell you. The wedge is a pain in the as, but it works very well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TinKnocker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice stick I have one too. A new stock will be tricky due to the accustock having the bolt release on the bottom. As of now I don't know anybody doing bottom metal for this application that will let you use AI mags. You can get 9 rounders from Sharp Shooters. This means to go to a aftermarket stock you need them to inlet to your stock DBM. I thought about doing the same thing but, When 175SMK and 178AMAX shoot 3/4 groups at 100yds all day its hard to put more money into it. </div></div>
I know for a fact that choate makes stocks that are a drop in fit for the fcp-k. I have one on mine. And any other stock that fits other savage model 10's that have a detachable magazine and same action screw spacing(4.410" i believe) will work.
You are right that aftermarket bottom metal would require custom inletting, but that is true of any rifle. Personally, however, I'd rather wait for an $80 magazine from SSS before I spent $300 on the likes of cdi precision bottom metal.

Thanks for the replies guys. There's really nothing wrong with the rifle as is, but I often like a more aggressive look to things I own. I wish AI or Sako had stocks for the FCP-K, as those have been my favorite stocks by far in terms of looks.

Somewhere down the line, I'd like an AI rifle- but financially it's too pricey.

With the break and the extra cushion of the butt pad, the recoil is very minimal. 308 is pretty easy on the shoulder with out a break anyway. When I go to the range my 10FCP-K is the last gun I shoot and I put 100 rounds down range an average and if I could afford it I would send more, but you will run out of ammo before you wear out your shoulder.

Congrats on the purchase. Looks like a very nice build. I have something very similar coming together but i went with the FP cause im on a really tight budget.

Get some vids! How do you like the cheek piece?

Vedak I have the same rifle.There are little things I could pick apart but the rifle is a real shooter.I have shot 1/2"and 3/4"groups at 300yds.Of course I shot bigger ones also.I put a rifle basic trigger in mine.A pain in the but to put in with the accu stock.I havn't shot it yet with the new trigger.I like your cheek piece.Was it hard to put on the factory stock?My screws are at 45"lb.Good luck with your first savage.Please let us know how it shoots for you.
Jay

1/2"@300??? Did you submit that to guiness?
I bough the riflebasix sav-1 for mine and quickly returned it - JUNK! All it basically was was the accutrigger without the accurelease and a few more adjustments. Didn't matter though...couldn't get the trigger pull weight or sear engagement to stay set. So off it came in favor of the SSS comp trigger - FAR superior! I have also gotten rid of the muzzle brake and of course the stock. Hardly an fcp-k anymore but still a savage...

Basically what I am doing. The stock was descant, but incredibly uncomfortable when I was shooting prone. So I just ordered the Choate tactical, SSS comp trigger, and SSS bolt handle. I also plan on getting it cut and recrowned in the near future. It will make for an excellent budget minded shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You are right that aftermarket bottom metal would require custom inletting, but that is true of any rifle. Personally, however, I'd rather wait for an $80 magazine from SSS before I spent $300 on the likes of cdi precision bottom metal. </div></div>

I have been waiting almost a month for a 9 shot mag from SSS and heard from them yesterday they are waiting on Savage to send them springs so they can do the mag run. So be prepared to wait for awhile.

I have a choate tactical stock on my 10FP and it is a nice stock for the money. Got mine on the hide with the bottom metal and a mag for less then the cost of just the stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmokinAce</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You are right that aftermarket bottom metal would require custom inletting, but that is true of any rifle. Personally, however, I'd rather wait for an $80 magazine from SSS before I spent $300 on the likes of cdi precision bottom metal. </div></div>

I have been waiting almost a month for a 9 shot mag from SSS and heard from them yesterday they are waiting on Savage to send them springs so they can do the mag run. So be prepared to wait for awhile.

I have a choate tactical stock on my 10FP and it is a nice stock for the money. Got mine on the hide with the bottom metal and a mag for less then the cost of just the stock. </div></div>
Only a month!!!!! Lucky you. I ordered mine back in June, as well as a $500 tactical stock, prepaid...still waiting.

Mine is hardly an FCP-k anymore, but I still love it!
Choate tactical custom
SSS Comp. trigger
SSS bolt handle
Black weapons custom thread protector(had them anneal and turn down my muzzle brake)
(hopefully soon) SSS 9 round DBM...
savagefcp-k.jpg

Bodywerks The same day I shot the 1/2'group I shot a 5/8'and a 3/4'group.they were 3 shot groups and someone was watching thru the spotting scope.The rifle basic trigger is working fine so far.It is a sav.2
There is a lot of controversy about breaking in a barrel.To each his own,I JBed the barrel before I shot it and cleaned it according to precision shooting mag.Built up copper will kill accuracy I don't care what the so called experts say.If you think your barrel is copper free clean it and when you think it is clean use wipe out and you will see how much copper is in your barrel.
I don't give a S*** whether you believe me or not.Some one else shot the rifle at 100yd and had a 5 shot bug hole.Anyone who wants to come here and shoot the rifle is welcome.

Just giving you shit. Such groups are not impossible with the right conditions, but surprising for a factory gun. But heck, in theory my best 5-shot group at 100 with this rifle could have translated to about a 1/2" at 300. I think I measured it at like .22" center-to-center:
best308group.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is hardly an FCP-k anymore, but I still love it!
Choate tactical custom
SSS Comp. trigger
SSS bolt handle
Black weapons custom thread protector(had them anneal and turn down my muzzle brake)
savagefcp-k.jpg
</div></div>

good looking setup.

bodywerks
Real nice bughole.Some bullets will shoot at 100yds but not at longer range.The only thing to do is try them.That savage is the most accurate factory rifle I ever had.Shoots better than a lot of customs.
Jay

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I am actually quite disappointed,didn't get to shoot the rifle today as planned. My friend changed his mind to Sunday- a working day for me.

It's looking like it'll be another month before I can go out and shoot. DAMN!!!!

Jaybird- The Karsten cheek piece was very easy to install. Just drill holes and mount. I started with a small bit first just to get things kind of lined up. However I still managed to drill crooked. It's not noticeable. The stock is hollow with what looks to be styrofoam near the very end. Be sure to go slow, and it will be fine. I also found the standard shape to be much wider than the factory stock- I used a heat gun and some pressure to somewhat narrow the cheek piece. The heat gun did somewhat burn the Kydex though- so maybe a different heating method would be better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is hardly an FCP-k anymore, but I still love it!
Choate tactical custom
SSS Comp. trigger
SSS bolt handle
savagefcp-k.jpg
</div></div>

I love that stock. Might have to copy. lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vedak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Guys,

New here, thought I'd share a few photos I took. Picked this up last week, and slowly the parts I ordered started showing up.
Mounted everything up, and realized the med. rings were too high. But it will do for now, since money is tight.

I am looking to save up for a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 scope. I'd also like to go with a Mcmillan A3-5 stock in the future.

Rifle is currently setup as follows:
Savage Arms 10FCP-K .308
SWFA SS 10x42
EGW 20MOA Base
EGW Med. Rings
Karsten Cheek Piece
Butler Creek Flip Ups
Harris 6-9'' Bipod

FCP-K_6.jpg

FCP-K_4.jpg

FCP-K_3copy.jpg

</div></div>

I see you say the rings are too high so which rings would you recommend to get the scope lower?
How much lower do you think you can get the scope?

Scope looks high to me also. The EGW bases are pretty tall, I have had to run low rings with all my egw bases (from 40mm to 50mm objectives). I like the warne perm. lows, but could probably run an even lower ring with the egw base.
I have not had problems with my rifle basix triggers, just make sure you loctite the screws, or they will back out with shooting. I have them on 5 different rifles, and as long as they are set with locktite, they have been great.

Vedak, have you looked into the SSS acme detachable mag setup?
Also, check out stockade stocks, but expect a wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2guard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scope looks high to me also. The EGW bases are pretty tall, I have had to run low rings with all my egw bases (from 40mm to 50mm objectives). I like the warne perm. lows, but could probably run an even lower ring with the egw base.
I have not had problems with my rifle basix triggers, just make sure you loctite the screws, or they will back out with shooting. I have them on 5 different rifles, and as long as they are set with locktite, they have been great.

Vedak, have you looked into the SSS acme detachable mag setup?
Also, check out stockade stocks, but expect a wait.</div></div>

The EGW HD base is a little lower than the standard EGW base.
I wonder which EGW base Vedak has on his rifle?

Damn I've been away from this place way too long! The terrible news, ever since posting this thread I have yet to put even 1 round through the chamber. FML

At the moment I am trying to decide whether to save up for a Vortex Razor HD or SWFA 5-20x50 OR build up an AR15.

my (first, I have two) fcp-k in an XLR Evolution. The rifle is the same as this except I swapped the Viper for an SS HD 5-20
smile.gif

DSC01992 by 911bagman, on Flickr

Also, a dude was just selling an fcp-k in a Manners T4A on gunbroker. I asked him how he got it to work, he said they simply inletted and allowed for the bolt release on his stock. He said it was right around 700.00 for this.

I too have plunged into the darkside with a purchase of an 10fpc-k love the gun am just starting to break it in. I am going to reload for it and picked the Combined Technology 168 grain ballistic silvertip I chose this round just cause I have been extremely happy with nosler 223 stuff and the reviews were really good on midway. I am wondering if the 168 was a wise choice or does it like heavier bullets better? Any advice would be appreciated. Nosler competition brass, 168gr CT BT. Varget and wichester large rifle primers. Thanks

Oh and I am running EGW 20 MOA base with Burris extreme tactical picattinny low rings with a 6x24-50 Sightron SIIISS scope.

my .308 had good results with 168 smk's but it had GREAT results with 175's. Go with the heavier.

I have an 10FCP-k as well, its my very first gun, and i got it about . . . 3 days ago!
But i did the same thing regarding the rings, i got a 20 mos base with medium rings and i think its gonna sit higher than id like, shoulda got standard!. So il prolly pick up one of those cheek pieces as well.
Perfect timing to, Pops just got a drill press for his workshop!
Once my Scope comes in my setup will be

Savage 10FCP-K .308
Bushnell Elite 4200 3-12X44
Badger Ordnance 20 moa Base
Badger Ordnace Medium rings

Still workin on getting the bipod, pretty much set on the one you have but was wondering if anyone had experience with the Swivel version, HBRMS.

I hate to bring this post back from the dead but does anyone know if the low rings will fit correctly on a Savage FCP-k with a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm lr-t. I was looking at the picture at the top of the post and it looks way high however i also see that it is a 42mm objective and not a 50mm objective. I have the rifle, ordered the scope but still need to get rings and base. I intend on buying an EGW 20 MOA Picatinny base and some Burris Etreme tactical picatinny 30mm rings. I am not sure what height rings I should get. I would like the scope to be as tucked in to the rifle as possible.

Great rifles. If you're looking to get a 10 round magazine, there are two members here that make them. The mags that they make will work with the factory bottom metal. The members are darkeagle and zrat. Do a search on savage mags, and you should find them. Hear is a pic of mine wearing an SSS stock.

DSC_1193-1.jpg
DSC_1192-1.jpg

DSC_1191-1.jpg

The two members are deadeye and z71rat. This is the thread.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...216#Post3137216

I actually need to get lower rings for the rifle. Sadly I have yet to go out and shoot it. Been more than two years now. I'm quite ashamed of myself. Gonna go as soon add I get the new rings though. The ones on there right now are med height, while I actually needed lows.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vedak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually need to get lower rings for the rifle. Sadly I have yet to go out and shoot it. Been more than two years now. I'm quite ashamed of myself. Gonna go as soon add I get the new rings though. The ones on there right now are med height, while I actually needed lows. </div></div>

Looking at your pic, I'm wondering if the scope bell will clear the base with low rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vedak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually need to get lower rings for the rifle. Sadly I have yet to go out and shoot it. Been more than two years now. I'm quite ashamed of myself. Gonna go as soon add I get the new rings though. The ones on there right now are med height, while I actually needed lows.</div></div>

Nothing can stay in my safe for more than 2 days without me shooting at least 10 rds through it. It would drive me crazy. I hate it because I have 4 bolt guns and 3 ars and everytime I go to the range I bring all of them. It is such a pain to setup and shoot all off them but I cant help myself. Then it takes me 2 hours to pack up and put everything away. LOL
As for the ring Height, I have TPS Med height, with a 50mm objective and a weaver base.
I hope this helps

Yup that helps, I ordered the Burris Xtreme Tactical Picatinny Style Rail 30mm Medium Rings and I am paring it with the EGW 20 MOA base. Hopefully it will fit snug on my fcp-k with the leupold 6.5-20x50mm. If not I ordered it from Opticsplanet which will take them back if I need smaller ones. I dont know how you can resist not shooting a new rifle in 2 years. Last year I bought a Ruger Mini 30 189 series (older) from a guy that had owned it for about 15 years and had never shot it. He said he had it for home defense and I am not sure how you can trust your life to something you have never shot(dont worry, I know you dont use a bolt rifle for home defense). When I took it apart it was completely clean and still had factory lubricant on it. It shoots just fine though so I guess it would have worked for him (especially now that I added the accustrut)Still I could not approach a thief in the night with a gun I never shot. Crazy!

I also run your set-up with a Choate tactical stock. Keep the accu-stock if you hunt, I run my accu-stock while deer season is in. The Choate is seriously heavy in a tree stand! And again, welcome to the dark side!