• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes First scope at $400 or less

Re: First scope at $400 or less

You can do much better imho. You don't say what you want to use it for, but if it's just a scope to get started in shooting and use for range/hunting work then I'd look for a Zeiss Conquest. Cabela's had them on sale for $399 earlier this year, they are a very good value at that price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stewart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Order a rear focus 10x super sniper from SWFA. Best bang for the buck around.</div></div>

I would not recommend a fixed 10X for a first scope without knowing what he wants to use it for, deer hunting with a 10X in some parts of the US is darn near impossible.

I am goning to mount it on a 30-06 or a 308
At Academy they have these I like so far.
Leupold VX-II 3 - 9 x 50 Riflescope $379.99
Bushnell Elite® 3200 3 - 9 x 50 Riflescope $269.99

only optices I have is:
Bushnell Trophy 1 x 32 mm MP Red Dot Riflescope
on my ak lol not for shooting over 100
laugh.gif

and a streamlight tlr-2 for my .45

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Raven David</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am goning to mount it on a 30-06 or a 308</div></div> Where are you at and what will your application be?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Raven David</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi all I am looking at a scope for less then $400.
At Gander they have a Leupold VX-II 3 - 9 x 50 Riflescope.
What do you think?
</div></div>

You'll probably pay a 25% premium at Gander Mountain (plus local tax) unless they have a very good sale going on. In that budget, I would also look at the SWFA super snipers or Wotacs. You should also be able to find a nice Nikon in that range.

on swfa ss riflescope web site they got
SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS10X42M
$399.95
Stock # - SS10X42
$299.95

Lol what the diference of these scopes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Raven David</div><div class="ubbcode-body">on swfa ss riflescope web site they got
Stock # - SS10X42M
$399.95
Stock # - SS10X42
$299.95

Lol what the diference of these scopes?
</div></div>
The $399 model has a side focus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Raven David</div><div class="ubbcode-body">which would be better the cheaper one with options or the more expensivfe with no options? </div></div>

The rear focus SS is fine, but I'm not sure you want a fixed 10X for hunting hogs in the woods ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Raven David</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Acadamey & Gander = Zeiss Conquest 3 - 9 x 40 Riflescope $399.99
</div></div>

Hunting hogs at night you may prefer an illuminated reticle. What about this: Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10? Plus you don't have to pay any tax ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Raven David</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gander has a
Nikon® Buckmasters 3 - 9 x 50 Riflescope $309.99 on backorder </div></div>

I had this as my first riflescope, and it was a great scope. If I was just looking for hunting and not trying to shoot matches I would've had this scope for years.

I sold that scope and got a Falcon 4-14x FFP. It's been rock solid, and still performing like the day I got it. I don't imagine I'll have problems with it anytime to come, and it's still got a couple of years left on the warranty.

Now that the Vortex PST FFP's are starting to trickle out though I'll probably be upgrading to one of those and selling the Falcon. Not because the Falcon doesn't work, but because I've saved some money to upgrade and eventually I'd like something much nicer.

Of course a few years from now the Vortex will be making room for a NF F1, and then later on probably an S&B, but that's to far in the future to worry about.

For now for my money the Falcon has been an awesome scope.I don't hesitate to recommend them for that reason.

The top 3 beginner scopes for deer/boar/target in the pine woods in texas for less than $400
1. acadamey $269.99 Bushnell Elite® 3200 3 - 9 x 50 Riflescope
2. gander $309.99 Nikon® Buckmasters 3 - 9 x 50 Riflescope (when they get them instock)
wink.gif

3. acadamey & gander $379.99 Leupold VX-II 3 - 9 x 50 Riflescope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Raven David</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the pine woods of Texas
hunting hogs and deer amd targets </div></div>

Not sure where all these recommendations are coming from, but something more along the lines of a 2-7x32 Vortex, a fixed 6x Leupold, or a 3-9x40 4200 Bushnell or Zeiss would work better for this application. A 50 mm obj would only add weight and get in the way. A 2-7 new Redfield is a pretty decent scope for this kind of thing, and for $130 it's hard to justify spending more for a hunting scope.

A good red dot is effective way beyond 100 yards, and would work well at night...actually day or night, as hogs are frequently moving targets.

TC

I am also in the market for a sub $400.00 Scope, I was thinking about a Falcon Menace FFP, I think Swfa now carries them for around the 400 mark, but I am also considering just getting a Vortex crossfire the one that they advertise for 99.99. for the time being,so I can save for the scope I really want,The Vortex Viper FFP, and from what I understand Vortex has a unconditional lifetime warranty on their products

WOTAC
Don't buy one!!! Not because of the quality but because of the CS. I have been without an optic on the wife's rifle since I sent it back in at the end of September 2010! He said he sent it when he replaced the one off of my rifle but it never showed. Then he said he would figure out where it went. He couldn't figure it out. So he said he was sending another. Two weeks after I asked where that one was, and he didn't know. I called the PO to see if it was sitting there but it wasn't. So he said that he was sending one via UPS (on Jan 5) so he could give me a tracking number and it was sitting for UPS to pick it up the next day and that was two weeks ago. Now I can't even get a return email. Buy a different optic

I my self have been in the market for a scope I have currently a 6x24x40mm mil dot. bushnell 4200 elite sitting atop a savage 30-06 good for shooting prairie dogs at 800 yards I rencently picked up another savage model 12 and am setting it up for pd's as well chambered in 223. for cost and coyotes dont care how fast 52 grainer that hit him was goin im looking at spending some money but is a mil mil scope better? i would like a side focus ive heard good about the ss scopes but i dont want a fixed power any suggestions would be great from the guys that do this everyday thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Raven David</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would a 50 mm lens give me more light & view area then 40 mm? </div></div>

No. Better glass with better coatings will give you more light, and you'll only see the difference at twilight.

View area, or field of view, FOV, is mostly a function of power...

lower = bigger...

A 3x scope, or a variable set at 3x will have a larger field of view than when set at a higher power.

TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
200451_448X169.jpg

http://swfa.com/Burris-35-10x50-Fullfield-30-European-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P10994.aspx

Or one of these other Burris closeouts that are priced below <span style="text-decoration: line-through">dealer</span> distributor cost.

http://www.opticstalk.com/major-savings-on-discontinued-close-out-burris_topic26571.html </div></div>

That seems like a heck of a deal, it's everything you wanted, too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Raven David</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the pine woods of texas
hunting hogs and deer amd targets</div></div>

I see no need for 50 obj with that range. Thus the realm of your options with 3-9x40 opens up tremendously. For your price I rarely see anything recommended more than the Zeiss Conquest. However I wouldn't jump on that before checking out stuff like the Burris Euro recommendation from SWFA.

It is alot of scope with alot of nice features for the price range you are talking about... and it would do all that you are intending to do with it and more.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
200451_448X169.jpg

http://swfa.com/Burris-35-10x50-Fullfield-30-European-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P10994.aspx

Or one of these other Burris closeouts that are priced below <span style="text-decoration: line-through">dealer</span> distributor cost.

http://www.opticstalk.com/major-savings-on-discontinued-close-out-burris_topic26571.html </div></div>

THIS!

Super prices on these closeout Burris scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vortex Viper.. </div></div>

+1 on this. The glass on the Viper is great for the price. Great quality and at $399.00 it is right in your budget. I have a VXIII and a Viper, glass is very comparible to one another and it is <span style="font-weight: bold">way</span> better than that of my 16XSS. And, yes, the warranty is unconditional, lifetime, transferable, forever.

Oh and the Crossfire.....well while its "nice" for the money
crazy.gif
once you look through a Viper, you'll want to use the Crossfire to support your targets....I'm just say'n....

Just a suggestion, but take a look at a discontinued Nitrex by Weaver TR2 2-10x42 scope at www.natchezss.com Final price on it after $100 Nitrex rebate is $150 plus shipping. This scope is basically a Weaver Super Slam scope and same power Super Slam sells for about $390. Have a couple of the Nitrex TR2s with higher magnification and they both have some really good Japanese optics in them. Only gripe I've read about the TR2 models is their weight...not a scope you'd want for a light carry rifle.

For my first scope, I had good luck with a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 sf. Paid about 350.00 for it on ebay. I used it for a three day basic sniper school on a 700p and it held up well...

If you want a traditional no-nonsense hunting scope (in the same league as the Leupold 3-9 you were looking at), the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 is great. It's only $400 right now, and it has glass that is head and shoulders above anything in that price range. No lit reticle, no huge objective, it's just a great scope.

I like the previously mention Nitrex and a great deal at Cabelas, a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 for $199.99. (backorderable)

+1 on the 3-9 Conquest for $399 also.

Thanks everybody for there post.
I goning to go look at my local Academy for
Bushnell Elite® 3200 3 - 9 x 50 Riflescope with firefly.
It has a glowing duplex that will help in low light.
$269.99