• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Fixed power (~12-14x) with MRAD adjustments and reticle suitable for PRS?

skidhc

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2018
Newnan, GA
Does something like this exist? I searched existing threads and hit the major optic players websites and haven't come across anything yet...

I recently started shooting PRS (bolt action/6.5x47) and I think if something like this exists, I should be able to get more scope for my money than what I can afford (<$1.5k) in terms of a FFP with variable power. I know that long term, I would like the ability to use higher magnification but for now, I think if I could find something around 12x (fixed) with good glass that tracks and has a reticle that could be used for holding elevation and windage corrections, it should would work just fine. Am I crazy? Is anyone else doing this?

Thanks,
Stephen

I’m currently running an old USO ST-10 w/ GAP reticle, but I’m not “competing,” I’m just out for a good time at local matches. Seems to work fine overall, though it’s only a 10X. The SWFA SS 12x42 is the only thing I can think of at a fixed 12X though.

For your budget, drop Scott at Liberty Optics a line. You might be surprised what he can get into your hands for $1,500 (or maybe just a little more if you can wait and save just a little while longer). ;)

There aren't really any high(ish) end fixed power tactical scopes left and virtually noone puts modern reticle into them. The best is probably is S&B PM II, but the reticle is kinda aging.

SWFA still makes the 10x42 HD with Mil-Quad reticle which is also aging, but gives you more than the P3 in S&B. Then there are the classic 10x42 and 12x42 SWFA scopes with the same reticle. If you want to see how you get on with a fixed power scope, I'd probably try one of these.

ILya

USO also brought out the BFX10 this year with thr JVCR reticle. Might be worth a look.
Looks nice but I guess after thinking through it a little more, I would likely be inclined to go with the Bushnell DMRII if I go with the top of my price range. I looked through one this weekend and it was clear and they are known to track reliably. The reticle choices are limited and none are my favorite but I guess I could adapt... Anyway, I guess I should have thought through my original question a little more and stated ~$1k as the budget for a fixed power.

BTW, do you have any experience with the 12x SWFA that you mentioned previously? I have no experience with the brand (don't guess I have ever even seen one IRL) so am curious about any insights you might have regarding optical clarity and tracking.

Thanks,
Stephen

SWFA (preferably with HD glass) in 12x updated with:
- a nice Xmas tree reticle
- a side focus
- a real zero stop(!)
- 10 mil per rotation (but now maybe I'm just getting greedy)
- a little more forgiving eyebox (yep definitely getting greedy)

Would make a fine inexpensive scope for PRS IMO.
That would be easy seller.

Personally I rather get slightly lesser quality glass variable than a fixed power. I spend a lot more time at lower powers. There are a lot of shots taken from 200-600. Not all shots are long shots and spotting your impacts is easier if its dialed down not up. I would rather have too little than too much magnification, but then again I spent the first half my life shooting irons. $1500 gets you a plenty nice variable. Didnt see where you are but here in Texas the mirage can be pretty wicked most of the year and less is more on magnification.

Personally I rather get slightly lesser quality glass variable than a fixed power. I spend a lot more time at lower powers. There are a lot of shots taken from 200-600. Not all shots are long shots and spotting your impacts is easier if its dialed down not up. I would rather have too little than too much magnification, but then again I spent the first half my life shooting irons. $1500 gets you a plenty nice variable. Didnt see where you are but here in Texas the mirage can be pretty wicked most of the year and less is more on magnification.
I am pretty much on the same page (lower power seems better almost all the time, shot irons for 30+ years, etc.), but was hoping to find some better glass with lower magnification to help with seeing trace. I live in Georgia so lots of mirage here (and other places in the SE) too. I guess after rethinking my original post a bit, I was really hoping for a low magnification fixed power option in the $1k range that would allow me to spend a little less than my max budget. I think you are correct in saying that $1500 will buy a variable power that will everything I need.

I am pretty much on the same page (lower power seems better almost all the time, shot irons for 30+ years, etc.), but was hoping to find some better glass with lower magnification to help with seeing trace. I live in Georgia so lots of mirage here (and other places in the SE) too. I guess after rethinking my original post a bit, I was really hoping for a low magnification fixed power option in the $1k range that would allow me to spend a little less than my max budget. I think you are correct in saying that $1500 will buy a variable power that will everything I need.
Here is another.
https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...b5e0-0136-2c97-00163ecd2826?variation=1857314

Reactions: ZG47A
Under $1k, this is probably the best option out there now. Do keep in mind, that once Doug runs out of this batch, the price on these will probably go back up to where it originally was. He cut some sort of a deal with Steiner for these, but I am not sure it is here to stay once these are sold.

ILya
Have you ever used one of them? Do you have any insight as to clarity, tracking, etc.? It does seem like a great deal but reviews are mixed. At this point I am debating between the Bushnell Elite DMRII and this one. Definitely like the Steiner reticle better...

Thanks,
Stephen

Have you ever used one of them? Do you have any insight as to clarity, tracking, etc.? It does seem like a great deal but reviews are mixed. At this point I am debating between the Bushnell Elite DMRII and this one. Definitely like the Steiner reticle better...

Thanks,
Stephen

I have one and did a review on it. Here is a brief video with some comments.

ILya

I am a huge fan of SWFA SS fixed power scopes. You can get them for less than $300. If you want inexpensive and dead nuts reliable, look no further. The 12x mil quad will serve you well for entry into PRS.. I use the 10x MOA quad without issue

Last edited:
Reactions: D_TROS
The discussion on fixed power scopes is interesting and pops up with reasonable regularity. A bunch of people lament that they miss higher quality fixed power scopes, but the truth is that very few people buy the ones that do exist. How many 10x42 PMII and USO scopes do you think are sold? The only reason they are still for sale is that they are already designed and there is very little cost involved with making a batch every ten years and let it sit on the shelf while it slowly trickles out to nostalgic people.

It is the same thing with tactical and hunting scopes. Meopta makes 6x42, 7x50 and 8x56 hunting scope that are excellent. I suspect that their cumulative sales are probably less than one tenth of the 3-12x56 Meostar.

WIth tactical scopes, there is still a place for the inexpensive scopes like the SWFA SS line, simply because how rugged and repaetable these are for the price point. SWFA's position in this regard is sorta unique and I suspect it may be worth their while put a tree reticle in there. However, I doubt that is is financially viable to add illumination.

ILya

BTW, do you have any experience with the 12x SWFA that you mentioned previously? I have no experience with the brand (don't guess I have ever even seen one IRL) so am curious about any insights you might have regarding optical clarity and tracking.

I have a 12x in Mil and a 10x in MOA. Both bought for like $260 a piece during their twice a year sales the last couple years.

The two things you mentioned are the two things it does best: clarity for its price and tracking at any price. You’ll have to spend a lot more — like double or triple — to get more glass clarity, and not many offerings at any price will out-track it (how do you track 101% correctly, ha).

Downsides are addressed in my wishlist post. Eyebox is unforgiving in the 10x and outright tight in the 12x. No zero stop. Focus for the 12x is only available on the ring rather than the side. Not a great reticle for PRS. Otherwise it’s a fantastic scope, especially for the money. You could absolutely get started with one (I think I’d do the 10x in Mil with the side focus if I had to pick a model) and then upgrade when it starts being a weaker link in the chain than some of your other equipment/skills.

When SWFA has their sales, it's almost impossible not to buy one, or two. $260 for the scope, rings, bubble level. Sometimes they throw in butler creek caps.

Looks nice but I guess after thinking through it a little more, I would likely be inclined to go with the Bushnell DMRII if I go with the top of my price range. I looked through one this weekend and it was clear and they are known to track reliably. The reticle choices are limited and none are my favorite but I guess I could adapt... Anyway, I guess I should have thought through my original question a little more and stated ~$1k as the budget for a fixed power.

Thanks,
Stephen
I’ve owned three 12x’s, and currently have 2. One of the three wouldn’t parallax out past 500 yards, so I put it on a rimfire which I’m very happy with it there. Like someone previously stated; the eyebox is tight on the 12’s. The 10 is appreciably brighter than the 12’s and has a much more forgiving eyebox. If I didn’t shoot so much rimfire paper with mine I’d likely recommend the 10 over the 12 for brightness, and ease of eyebox. Luckily I run prs or fully adjustable stocks on the guns that have fixed 12 swfa and as such the cheek adjustment and lop adjustment being spot on makes the 12x very useable and very enjoyable but I’ve found you really have to be consistent with your positioning.

Meopta makes 6x42, 7x50 and 8x56 hunting scope that are excellent. I suspect that their cumulative sales are probably less than one tenth of the 3-12x56 Meostar.

The fact that these optics are only available with 1/4 moa clicks, instead of 1cm clicks, might be part of the problem. I was happy to see the announcement that they were being distributed in NZ, some years back, but incredulous when I read the specs.

I am a huge fan of SWFA SS fixed power scopes. You can get them for less than $300. If you want inexpensive and dead nuts reliable, look no further. The 12x mil quad will serve you well for entry into PRS.. I use the 10x MOA quad without issue
What ranges and at what size targets are you shooting with the 12? I have an SS 10x MOA on a hunting rifle, but have thought about just going fixed on the 6.5 since the mirage here is so stupid the variable stays on 12ish all the time anyway wouldn't mind dumping the heavy 5-25 brick if I'm not gonna 'use' it.

What specifically do you not like about the reticle for PRS? Thanks for your insight

Last edited:
What ranges and at what size targets are you shooting with the 12? I have an SS 10x MOA on a hunting rifle, but have thought about just going fixed on the 6.5 since the mirage here is so stupid the variable stays on 12ish all the time anyway wouldn't mind dumping the heavy 5-25 brick if I'm not gonna 'use' it.

What specifically do you not like about the reticle for PRS? Thanks for your insight
I'm using 10x. I have shot 1 moa targets out to 600 yards, and 2-3 moa out to 1000. I like the moa quad reticle just fine.

I used a fixed 10X swfa for 3 competitions and 1 precision rifle class, for range use on prone shots with no time limit the scope worked great and it was reliable, came to zero every time. Under time and on awkward shooting positions it left me wishing for a more flexible eye relief and most importantly a better reticle. It's definitely doable but it won't be long before you start looking into something else.
Keep an eye on the for sale section of this forum great scoped can be had for good prices.

What size targets are you able to hit at distance? My buddy is about to grab an SWFA for his 300 WM....flushed of cash from divorce.....was thinking 12 I let him borrow my 10x for a bit he liked it, but said he felt like he was going to be limited maybe when we get our new LR facility opened up. Thanks

Its not so much a problem is if it is enough magnification but more of sometimes will be too much. Quite often I will shoot at 5 and 8 mag to help with finding targets on stages where I have to change positions and I like it low on movers as well.

I've been shooting a 3-12x all season and had it at 12x except maybe 1 or 2 instances. No problems seeing targets and splash out to 1200yrds and smallest was a 4" plate at about 700 with no problems.

Glass quality will play a big role in what you can and cant see...my 3-12 is a S&B so YMMV

i used to have a fixed 10x and my main concern was to find the targets at short range not shooting long range!
with your budget there is a lot of great options to consider but for PRS style shooting,in my opinion,a fixed power will not be the best tool.

What size targets are you able to hit at distance? My buddy is about to grab an SWFA for his 300 WM....flushed of cash from divorce.....was thinking 12 I let him borrow my 10x for a bit he liked it, but said he felt like he was going to be limited maybe when we get our new LR facility opened up. Thanks
I have shot 1 moa targets out to 600 yards, and 2-3 moa out to 1000. I like my higher mag scopes better, but it's not absolutely necessary for most LR work IMO.