Flashers for ELR steel targets

Hello Diver - our (URSA's) experience with IRIS has been very good. The need for delay seems to be associated with testing with a hammer (up close and personal to confirm the gear is good to go for an event). Lynn shot the NorCal event last weekend and shot it fast - no problem getting the lights to flash. For now we are sticking with IRIS - and hoping that RTAC will stand behind their assurance that they will repair if needed. They (RTAC) are also working on a project that was already in work when the sale was made - a longer range remote. That is where we experienced "problems" - shooters think they "must" have had a hit but no light. Lynn and I have both shown that NOT to be true within minutes after the complaint was raised - hits and lights. So, possibly we'll "soon" have a remote that works with our current gear and we can promptly demo that the lights are working just fine.

Not sure about your idea of good, I stopped attending the NorCal matches the winter before last because none of the URSA's 6 IRIS systems could be made to work several events in a row. We found impacts on the target when there had been no lights. We made 3 trips to the target one event when the system would react to the first hit, but ignore the subsequent ones. The system can react to some hits, but not others.

Also, the remote only tests that the flash unit is charged and switched on. An impact detection module doesn't have to be functioning, or even on, for the remote to trigger the flash. The impact detection modules and their mounting are where the problems are.

The system is fast enough for ELR, but not much else. Again, the delay is built into the impact detection module, probably to give time for the target to stop ringing. You can press the remote as often and as quickly as you like and it will flash. I can't trigger it that often with the impact detection modules.

Not sure about your idea of good, I stopped attending the NorCal matches the winter before last because none of the URSA's 6 IRIS systems could be made to work several events in a row. We found impacts on the target when there had been no lights. We made 3 trips to the target one event when the system would react to the first hit, but ignore the subsequent ones. The system can react to some hits, but not others.

Also, the remote only tests that the flash unit is charged and switched on. An impact detection module doesn't have to be functioning, or even on, for the remote to trigger the flash. The impact detection modules and their mounting are where the problems are.

The system is fast enough for ELR, but not much else. Again, the delay is built into the impact detection module, probably to give time for the target to stop ringing. You can press the remote as often and as quickly as you like and it will flash. I can't trigger it that often with the impact detection modules.

There are only 6 URSA IRIS targets and NorCal has 4 of them - never had 6 of them, so unclear how you could have seen an attempt to make 6 work. What I can tell you is that last weekend Lynn shot fast and the IRIS kept up. In two YEARS of using the IRIS system in SoCal I have never seen an occasion where the IRIS lights did not work properly. I have seen instances where they were not (literally) attached to the plate and they (surprise) did not flash - the unit had fallen on the ground because it had shaken loose. But no problem flogging a dead horse, right? BTW, yes, correct, the remote cannot simulate a hit - assuming that is what we are trying to do with the remote. Just for you - we use them to make sure the light is functional.

The NorCal lights have work perfectly all year. I just started in March and there have been no problems except for a battery that was not fully charged and it was fixed before the match