• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes FNG question...

Jaeger_308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2008
Indiana
<span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> <span style="font-style: italic"> </span> Hey guys.. I live in Indiana where you can only hunt with shotgun slugs for deer. I have a chance to hunt in Kentucky this year. So I bought a Thompson Center Pro Hunter in .308.. Sooooooo, what optics do you guys recommend ? I really don't want to put a grand into glass that will only get used once or twice a year... Prefer something SS to match the weapon..

Re: FNG question...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Counter Sniper All the way.....its a Military overrun, how could it be bad? </div></div>

Have you looked through one of these yet? I have and imo not worth the money?
Just my 2 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledog57</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Counter Sniper All the way.....its a Military overrun, how could it be bad? </div></div>

Just my 2 cents. </div></div>

Not sure if serious...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledog57</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Counter Sniper All the way.....its a Military overrun, how could it be bad? </div></div>

Just my 2 cents. </div></div>

Not sure if serious... </div></div>

Yes I am. I live and work for the local range for Central coast of CA as a result I am lucky enough to look through a lot of scopes. My roommate and I were not impressed at all? They seem to be very dark? Imo i think for the money you can do better?
Just my 2 cents? Ymmv?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are fucking with you, counter sniper is a joke. A weaver grand slam will get you good enough hunting glass for what the OP wants and hold up 10x better than the CS will. </div></div>

Amen Brother....the CS has been nothing but a huge marketing scam. Guess they really tried hard to polish a turd and sell it as gold.

Wayne

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are fucking with you, counter sniper is a joke. A weaver grand slam will get you good enough hunting glass for what the OP wants and hold up 10x better than the CS will. </div></div>

I'm not sure how I'm fucking with him? I said in a previous post to go with the Weaver. I'm actually a Vortex guy. Then i said that they were not worth the money? They are dark. Did I miss something here?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Counter Sniper All the way.....its a Military overrun, how could it be bad?</div></div>

This is the post I was refering to. Some people buy the CS and then say they are great scopes because they cant admit they were conned. I just didnt want the OP to actually waste his money. I am not sure of any Silver vortex scopes that would match the OPs gun.

"I said in a previous post to go with the Weaver. I'm actually a Vortex guy."

Vortex doesn't make a silver scope that I have ever seen? One of my reasons for suggesting the Weaver. The other is the quality which was my experience with them. I think we are saying the same thing.

Thanks guys.. I actually have a guy on my Dept that fell for the CS hype, spent like $3000 on it, and I wasn't impressed at all.. I have Leupold's on my other rifle's, but I can seem to find a SS Leupold, I found a Nikon but I don't know anyone who's had any hands on experience with the Nikon's..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaeger_308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys.. I actually have a guy on my Dept that fell for the CS hype, spent like $3000 on it, and I wasn't impressed at all.. I have Leupold's on my other rifle's, but I can seem to find a SS Leupold, I found a Nikon but I don't know anyone who's had any hands on experience with the Nikon's.. </div></div>

I've got two Nikon Buckmaster scopes....one is a side focus model. Both are on rimfire rifles. I have absolutely no complaints...I think they make a very nice scope for their price point. Very clear glass and seems to be very repeatable with turret adjustments. The scopes that I have probably aren't what you're looking at...but if their lower line of scopes ( Like mine ) are really decent...I would think the better lines would be a very nice option for you.

Something to consider anyway...YMMV,

Wayne