FNGUN - Internal Ballistics Software Suite

Re: FNGUN - Internal Ballistics Software Suite

Link says:

The FNGUN Internal Ballistics Software Suite is fully compatible with Windows 95 and NT4.0 and is operated via a sophisticated user interface

Sounds bit old to me.
You might want to take a look on QuickLoad.

JL:

Your point is well taken and I've e-mailed them asking a number of questions, including currency, support, and compat with later OS. QuickLOAD is great because it includes powder metrics - updated over time. The FNGUN page does not mention the capture of such metrics, so I'll assume it is user input. I'll update the post when I get a response.

In any case, my question on the Hide is whether anyone has actually used this application for the noted purpose.

Emouse:

Thanks for the info. Very interesting but not to the point.

JL:

FYI. I looked at Prodas's site and found that the only "system requirements" info stated that the OS should be Win98, NT4, 2000, or XP. No Vista, no Win7. Appears no need for a more "modern" OS.

It was to the point,...the software you mention is not being used by professional end users for the purpose it was intended. For ELR projectile design and ballistics they use PRODAS. PRODAS has a variety of modules covering internal and external design/modelling and development. It is not for general public consumption and extremeley expensive.

Emouse:

My post was asking about a specific piece of software being used for a specific application. PRODAS is another product, different company - not the point of my post. Your first post was not to point. Since the company did not respond to my inquiries, I have no idea what they might say it is being used for - or even whether it is a currently marketed and supported application.

All:

Having received no response from the company (Frazer-Nash), I'm considering the thread closed for the purposes for which I posted my inquiry. Other uses of the thread are up to members.

ELR,

If emouse is in the UK, he can't even purchase the software. I have the basic software, and the internal ballistic package on the way to me. If you have any questions you can PM me. It is completely available for public consumption, despite what emouse says. It is expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Ditto.

It is also worth noting that the external ballistic package is based upon empirical models, and the further that a projectile design diverges from standard projectiles, the less value it has in predicting flight performance.

He's most likely describing PRODAS. PRODAS is an empirical code and one way the software evaluates the level of confidence in its outputs is by listing how many similar projectile shapes it references. PRODAS is pretty shaky on any sort of projectile design where it has no similar data to pull from.

Sorry, but no. My experience is limited to PRODAS only. I had considered an FNGUN training course a few years ago but never got around to it. With PRODAS now offering a GUI-interfaced version of IBVGH2 as an add-on pack it'll do some level of interior ballistics and encroach on some of the FNGUN functionality. The same is true of the deformation modules being added to PRODAS for elastic/plastic behavior of the case and bullet. However, in the small-cal world it's usually easier and cheaper to test multiple iterations/concepts than devote the time it takes to validate models in the software unless there's some very specific effect you're interested in. I can see more of a home for FNGUN in some of the medium/large cal system development where single tests can run in the tens of thousands of dollars at times, but even at that complex interior ballistics analyses have been run for years on ANSYS or other FEA software (and CFD-based codes for the real hard-core fluid flow stuff).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: saojao</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ELR,

If emouse is in the UK, he can't even purchase the software. I have the basic software, and the internal ballistic package on the way to me. If you have any questions you can PM me. It is completely available for public consumption, despite what emouse says. It is expensive, but you get what you pay for.</div></div>

Sorry friend but your talking nonsense,...PRODAS is and has been in commercial use within the armaments industry for years now in the U.K. Purchase is subject to ITAR however its not the complex bogeyman so many make out, to complete the simple paperwork.

Yes, it is expensive but certainly worth it.