• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Good Hunting/Target scope- max range 300 yards-recommendations?

Hotled

Private
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2014
Looking for a good hunting scope plus paper puncher to put on my 308 Savage. My last cheap scope could not handle it, it was a CenterPoint 4x16x40. The windage turret became useless.

Now I know my budget is pretty low here at about 225.00 and I do think a 3x9 would more than suffice and a 4x12 would just be gravy.
Things I want: finger adjustable turrets with quick 0 reset and a good focusing eye piece.

I have looked through the Nikon and loved the clarity but the BDC and Nikoplex reticule I did not like that much, I am more of a mil-dot but may switch.
I looked through the Vortex Diamondback, I liked the reticle allot scope had blurred edges at max power but still was nice enough.

Now I am not expecting a whole lot for 225.00, just something to withstand the recoil and stay accurate.

I know I get what I pay for, but please make some suggestions keeping in mind my budget.

Look for used Leupold VX-2 or VX-3. Might be able to find a good bargain. Or maybe a new Redfield revenge, which is also owned by Leupold and has the same great warranty. They have a 4-12x42mm very reasonable.

I have a 6-18x44mm on one of my varmint/plinking 22-250's, and it is a good little scope for the money.

At that pricepoint, I would suggest the Redfield revolution Tac, you get the hand turrets. MOA MOA.

Made in the same plant as the Leupolds, the Revolution has the same warranty and they are tough as nails.

Not going have the same image qual as a Leupld VX3, but those run in the $450 range. Image qual is up there with the standard Vortex Viper scopes.

Went to Academy Sports to look at the scopes again.
I was really impressed by the Redfield Revolution 3x9x40. Not to mention clearance sale of 149.00
The Redfield Revenge 4x12x42 was listed at 199.98.
They were MUCH clearer than the Vortex Diamondbacks and about the same as the Nikons.
All the Nikons are on clearance but I am a bit iffy on those as I tend to bang my stuff around and heard they are pretty fragile.

Good Hunting/Target scope- max range 300 yards-recommendations?

$149 is pretty good. I like the accu-range reticle on the hunting line. You set max point blank range and point and shoot. The circle in the middle really makes acquisition a breeze. If you have a bit more money take a look at the Leupold VX2 they are running a Rebate. Google leupold rewards.

All in all I have scopes from Nightforce to Leupolds I also have a few Redfields and have no issue taking them on a hunt. Especially if I am climbing through some rough stuff.

I am running a Nikon Buckmaster on one of my Hunting rigs this fall. I really like it, I went a little higher on magnification 6x18x40, it has BDC reticle in it which I normally don't care for, but they have a pretty cool app for Iphone that is called "Spot On" (they have most of their scopes/reticles in there) That shows the drops based off your ballistics, tracks pretty damn close for me. I also have the Kenton Industries Turret on there that still has the MOA designations along the bottom which are useable, but they also engraved my drops (for the 185 Grain Bergers that I am running in my Model 70 30/06 for elk hunt this fall) they have drops out to 600 yards on the upper portion of the turret.

screen shot of expanded view of reticle from "spot on" program