• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Grizzly Gunsmith D1-5 Back Plate

I've got several of these - the price was right and I didn't have to spend an afternoon chasing all the bits and stock to make one from.

I use a pair of them on one lathe I have - one on the outboard end of the spindle, and another on the inboard end, unless I have the Set-Tru on it.

Outboard end - slips over the spindle where the collet used closer used to reside.

Just bolted to an adaptor for the spindle, fit and keyed. It MAY come off if I use the lathe without a barrel in it, no axial retention. Makes it easy to remove though.

Set tru on inboard end

Have one for the big Grizzly gunsmith lathe also, just don't have a picture handy. It's like the one you posted, the gunsmith lathes already have a spider on the outboard end, just that the brass tipped screws are too long with a barrel in them, they don't clear the lathe. I understand this has been fixed on later lathes, shorter screws are supplied.

I made mine and fitted it to a D1-4 backplate. I like using it much better than a 4 jaw, plus I can work on shorter barrels. Go for it, you will like a spider.

Attachments

• IMAG1298.jpg
    IMAG1298.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
Does this or can this just bolt to one of their d1-4 back plates?
The problem with using the Bald Eagle spider on a plain D1-4 back plate is no matter how you orient the spider, one of the four holes interfere with one of the back plate pins. This is the reason I made my own with 5 mounting holes. The 6" hunk of 6061 I used for mine came from eBay...ran about $20.

The problem with using the Bald Eagle spider on a plain D1-4 back plate is no matter how you orient the spider, one of the four holes interfere with one of the back plate pins. This is the reason I made my own with 5 mounting holes. The 6" hunk of 6061 I used for mine came from eBay...ran about $20.

I didn't have that problem- I threw the backplate in the mill vise, made sure the pins weren't at 12, 3, 6 or 9 and hit my bolt hole pattern on my DRO and it works great.

reference grizzly backplate spider

That's how I've made all my spiders except my Haas.

Dave, I just received a backplate spider from grizzly, D1-5 and the screw holes do not match the outboard end screw holes 12,6 & 3,9 o'clock. Is this important? I always try to mate my 4-jaw chuck with the screw holes on the outboard end.

Dave, I just received a backplate spider from grizzly, D1-5 and the screw holes do not match the outboard end screw holes 12,6 & 3,9 o'clock. Is this important? I always try to mate my 4-jaw chuck with the screw holes on the outboard end.

If you have a Grizzly lathe, you can loosen the set screws securing the outboard spider and rotate it to the orientation you prefer. But it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

On another note, I index all my chucks so they go on the spindle in the same spot every time since the cam pins are adjusted accordingly.

On my spiders I drilled and and threaded the adjusting screws oversize to 1/2-20.

Sure- but if you already have a faceplate you just drill and tap four holes. I typically run this with the rear spider for barrels under 20".

Yup! I just took a D1-4 adapter plate, turned down the OD to match the spindle diameter and drilled/tapped it every 90 degrees. I got the backplate from Blue Ball machine for $25.00 used. One of the holes interfered with the cam pin, just trimmed the pin a smidge and it works fine.
The really nice thing is it netted me about 2" of advantage over any other setup.

Last edited: