• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Guide rod doesn’t fit . Help!!

Cheeseburger1976

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2012
Zionsville PA
OK, so tried putting my guide rod into my new seven PRC however it goes in at too much of an angle because of the height of the cheek rest. Wondering if I can just shorten the Boretech rod by cutting an inch off the front end of it or any other solutions. pics included

Basically the guide rod is too long and goes in at an angle . I do know per Boretech customer that the guide rod will fit my Zermatt action . Just the cheek rest gets in the way and creates an angle

Attachments

• IMG_1243.jpeg
    IMG_1243.jpeg
    410.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1242.jpeg
    IMG_1242.jpeg
    418.3 KB · Views: 117
I know this isn't helpful ... but ... that's why I only buy rifles with folding stocks (currently own folders from Barrett, MPA, and Tikka). Helps with fitting in the safe, and during transport too.
For me, width has always been a much bigger storage concern than length. But yeah, adjustable cheek rests and folding stocks both make life simpler.

Reactions: Aftermath
For me, width has always been a much bigger storage concern than length. But yeah, adjustable cheek rests and folding stocks both make life simpler.
Yeah ... I get that it's not always helpful. For me, I have a fairly small long-rifle safe, and folders let me use a big ammo safe I have for "over-flow" allowing for storage under the upper shelves that are full of my "election-dispute perimeter-defense contingency-ammo".

Yeah ... I get that it's not always helpful. For me, I have a fairly small long-rifle safe, and folders let me use a big ammo safe I have for "over-flow" allowing for storage under the upper shelves that are full of my "election-dispute perimeter-defense contingency-ammo".
Shouldn’t that ammo be in mags and guns strategically placed around the home? 🤣

It’s a manners pro hunter, and it’s not adjustable or removable
I looked at your stock on the Manners site. If the cheek rest is adjusted all the way down it should work. The fancy rod guide you have might be too long. I use their standard one and it's shorter.

That said, I see in your picture that the rod guide collar is already in contact with the back of the action while there is more than an inch of the rod guide tube left behind it.

Release the rod guide collar lock by loosening the brass handle on it and then move it all the way to the back of the rod guide. That will give you more wiggle room to fully insert the rod guide.

Then move the collar lock back up the rod guide until it enters the back of the action all the way to where you can fit the collar's brass handle securely in the rifle bolt handle cutout on the stock. If it doesn't go that far then you need a different size collar lock or a different rod guide.

Also, I'm almost certain you might need a longer cleaning rod because with that stock and too short a rod the rod handle will hit the top of the stock and wont go over your stock unless you flex it - not a good thing.

Call Boretech tomorrow morning with credit card in hand and tell them what you got. They are well aware of such problems and will straighten you out.

I looked at your stock on the Manners site. If the cheek rest is adjusted all the way down it should work. The fancy rod guide you have might be too long. I use their standard one and it's shorter.

That said, I see in your picture that the rod guide collar is already in contact with the back of the action while there is more than an inch of the rod guide tube left behind it.

Release the rod guide collar lock by loosening the brass handle on it and then move it all the way to the back of the rod guide. That will give you more wiggle room to fully insert the rod guide.

Then move the collar lock back up the rod guide until it enters the back of the action all the way to where you can fit the collar's brass handle securely in the rifle bolt handle cutout on the stock. If it doesn't go that far then you need a different size collar lock or a different rod guide.

Also, I'm almost certain you might need a longer cleaning rod because with that stock and too short a rod the rod handle will hit the top of the stock and wont go over your stock unless you flex it - not a good thing.

Call Boretech tomorrow morning with credit card in hand and tell them what you got. They are well aware of such problems and will straighten you out.
Luckily I live 20 min from Boretech, I can just bring the setup down there for him to look at and give me ideas. I am definitely not removing the action from the stock each time I want to clean. There has to be a better way with just a shorter length guide rod therefore the back of the guide rod not hitting the cheek rest 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

The patch guides on some of those Bore Tech rod guides are held in place with an Allen key detent. If yours is like that & the guide tube isn’t stepped/shouldered, it would be very easy to just remove it, cut some off the rear, deburr, then reinstall

Measure twice

Reactions: Cheeseburger1976
Luckily I live 20 min from Boretech, I can just bring the setup down there for him to look at and give me ideas. I am definitely not removing the action from the stock each time I want to clean. There has to be a better way with just a shorter length guide rod therefore the back of the guide rod not hitting the cheek rest 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
Excellent! They'll fix you right up - Great people. And you're not the first. They see things like this often. By the way This is the one I use:

https://www.boretech.com/products/bore-guide-bolt-action-centerfire

It’s a manners pro hunter, and it’s not adjustable or removable
Doesn't help you now, but this is why I always buy stocks with adjustable cheek rests. Once I find where I want it as far as height, that's pretty much where it's going to remain, other than removing it for cleaning.

Ah...as he said above (and as it seems to me Manners website shows) does NOT have and adjustable comb.

Not to be sacrilegious or anything... but you could just skip the bore guide.

Contrary to popular belief, it won't hurt anything.

As long as you're careful with what you're using for cleaning and mindful to not get too much into your trigger, you'll be fine. You'd have to go out of your way and actually put some effort into it to fuck up a steel barrel with a brass or aluminum jag or brush.

(Just don't tell any fudds :ROFLMAO:)

Not to be sacrilegious or anything... but you could just skip the bore guide.

Contrary to popular belief, it won't hurt anything.

As long as you're careful with what you're using for cleaning and mindful to not get too much into your trigger, you'll be fine. You'd have to go out of your way and actually put some effort into it to fuck up a steel barrel with a brass or aluminum jag or brush.

(Just don't tell any fudds :ROFLMAO:)
Haha for what I just spent on this rifle I don’t wanna skip out on anything. Did speak to Boretech today. They are going to shorten the guide for me and all will be OK. I’m only about 20 minutes from them so going tomorrow morning to get it squared away.

Reactions: Baron23
Haha for what I just spent on this rifle I don’t wanna skip out on anything. Did speak to Boretech today. They are going to shorten the guide for me and all will be OK. I’m only about 20 minutes from them so going tomorrow morning to get it squared away.

Seriously, it doesn't matter. I usually use a bore guide just so I can go fast when cleaning, not because I'm worried about hurting anything.

(If you don't believe me, PRS pros Francis Colon and Chad Heckler have joked about being rebels and not using bore guides many times on their Miles to Matches podcast, among others...)

It's all about girth.

Funny...I have a folder with an adjustable cheek rest (a couple actually). While at the gunsmith picking it up with the barreled action installed the first time, he wants to verify the chamber or something and he removes the cheek rest. I told him that is the primary reason I buy folders now, so that I don't have to remove the cheek rest for cleaning and such. He looked at me for a couple of seconds, like it was registering what had just told him. Then he told me, "I think you just changed my life." :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously, it doesn't matter. I usually use a bore guide just so I can go fast when cleaning, not because I'm worried about hurting anything.

(If you don't believe me, PRS pros Francis Colon and Chad Heckler have joked about being rebels and not using bore guides many times on their Miles to Matches podcast, among others...)
I use a bore guide but not because I think I’m going to damage a SS barrel but rather to keep solvent out of my expensive triggers, to keep mild abrasive like 40x on a patch from getting on the front side of the lug abutments, and…well, I think it helps me protect the coating on my expensive cleaning rods (well, expensive for a rod).

I think these are the common reasons.

Now don’t know anything about Mr Colon or Heckler but in a clay target game I competed at for a very long time, the top dogs weee sponsored and didn’t pay for their equipment…while I definitely did. I think that contributes to a different view of gun maintenance.

Cheers.

Look at the front opening of the bore guide and try to imagine where in the chamber that opening stops. Probably the shoulder. And then try to imagine how that stops the jag from bouncing off the most sensitive part of the chamber and rifling. The throat and beginning of lands. Bore guides do very little to protect barrels. Just being deliberate about how you apply the patch to the jag and how you insert the jag into the barrel does vastly more than a bore guide. Gone are the days of steel cleaning rods and jags. What you're using to clean your barrel with and how much you're you're trying to clean is probably more important than using a bore guide at all.

Big shoutout to Boretech customer service . I took a ride down there today to have him fit me a new board guide, he got me squared away, didn’t charge me a dollar and gave me the newest low profile model a little bit shorter than what I had and it fits perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG_1323.jpeg
    IMG_1323.jpeg
    491.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1325.jpeg
    IMG_1325.jpeg
    439 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1324.jpeg
    IMG_1324.jpeg
    419 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: R_A_W