Has anyone seen this group pattern before?

Bydand

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2024
Utah
I was wondering if anyone may have suggestions to help with the cause of this pattern. It was shot with a Browning BLR Iin 6.5 Creedmoor. 147 ELDM with H 4350. The first 3 shots were one after the other. With the 1st being in the center 2nd in the upper and 3rd in the lower. Shooting began with the barrel warm to the touch from the summer heat and additional shots from before. After the first 3 shots a break was taken to allow cooling . During the 4th-6th shots additional cooling took place that was random while I delt with kids and dogs removing a warming trend. But the last 3 bullets followed the fist 3 in order making 3 different groups into a 1.1 inch group at 100 yards. Although the first 3 shots were fired in a rapid succession, the last 3 had cooling in between shots. The 6th shot had a good 5 min or more of a cool down. Curious if any would have some insight. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_5523.jpeg
    IMG_5523.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 105
Just a wierd anomaly in the random sample that your load produced. My bet is that if you had repeated that process three or four more times that you would see everything start to spread out a bit more evenly.

Thats still pretty good for a BLR.

Reactions: Modoc and Bydand
I was wondering if anyone may have suggestions to help with the cause of this pattern. It was shot with a Browning BLR Iin 6.5 Creedmoor. 147 ELDM with H 4350. The first 3 shots were one after the other. With the 1st being in the center 2nd in the upper and 3rd in the lower. Shooting began with the barrel warm to the touch from the summer heat and additional shots from before. After the first 3 shots a break was taken to allow cooling . During the 4th-6th shots additional cooling took place that was random while I delt with kids and dogs removing a warming trend. But the last 3 bullets followed the fist 3 in order making 3 different groups into a 1.1 inch group at 100 yards. Although the first 3 shots were fired in a rapid succession, the last 3 had cooling in between shots. The 6th shot had a good 5 min or more of a cool down. Curious if any would have some insight. Thank you.
My question is what size groups do you usually shoot...like with premium factory ammo (thus taking the hand load out of the equation to an extent). Do you generally shoot much better groups than those shown from these hand loads?

Reactions: Bydand
I will see if I can get out and try again this coming week. I suspect it’s Me some how. Just odd that something I’m doing could cause a pattern like this. This BLR is new to me. I have had some 5/8 to 3/4 groups with this BLR. The other BLR I have in 300 WSM has produced 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups. With 225 ELDM and Berger 215. Both rifles have shot 1 MOA with cast lead, which is a hobby of mine. I am always puzzled by different groups inside of a group.

Reactions: Baron23
I will see if I can get out and try again this coming week. I suspect it’s Me some how. Just odd that something I’m doing could cause a pattern like this. This BLR is new to me.
Probably random dispersion mixed in with a new rifle and not quite finding the sweet spot consistently yet when shouldering the rifle. Some days I can't believe how good I shoot and it's like I'm shooting a .22 with how well I handle the recoil. Other times it feels like I'm shooting without a muzzle brake. Some days are just like that and you aren't on your game.

Reactions: Bydand