Help choosing bullet for 16.5" 308 @ 1000 yards

hondakilla98

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2011
Beaverton, OR
I know that a 16" 308 isn't ideal for 1000 yards. I'm not looking to shoot f class or even shoot that far regularly.

I have a 16.5" POF P308 with a 1:10 twist barrel. My local range goes to 600 yards, and that's mostly what I'll be shooting. But this summer I'd like to take a class in eastern oregon. It's 400-1000 yards. I want to start developing a load that will work out to 1000, but will mostly be shot 200-600. I have 200 once fired fgmm cases, 300 cci br-2 primers, and 1lb of Varget. Now I'd like to order some bullets and develop a load. So far I'm looking at the 175 smk, 178 amax, and 178 bthp. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm open to different powders, brass, primers, bullets, etc... The sooner I decide what to order, the longer I'll have to find it in stock.

Help choosing bullet for 16.5" 308 @ 1000 yards

Hmmm. I don't shoot short precision barreled rifles, but I would be concerned that you may not be able to get the velocity needed to stay supersonic at 1000k yards.

What are you using now? And what velocities are you getting? Have you punched the numbers into JBS ballistics to see what range you can get?

Hopefully, some one here with experience in this situation would chime in. But, I would have concerns that this setup may not keep you supersonic at 1000 yards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just bought the rifle and I'm just getting started reloading(so far just 9mm and 44 mag). I'm lookin at chronographs now, I'll order one soon.

I haven't messed with any calculators yet, pof's site says fgmm 168 will chrono 2500 fps in the 16.5".

It seems the consensus is the 155 works but suffers if there's wind. The 175s, 185s, up to the 208 work well. Varget or Re15. Good luck.

You'll be right on the edge with 185 Juggernauts @ 2400 or 155 Scenars @ 2600.

168s won't do it, and 175s will require over 2550fps, which is unlikely for you.

My best guess for success would be H4895 or IMR8208xbr, 155 Scenar and Winchester brass. I suspect Varget will leave some velocity on the table in the 16.5" barrel, as compared to the faster H4895 and 8208. Winchester brass has the best (highest) case capacity, giving you a little extra boiler room.

It's going to be close. Even if it works, hits @ 1000 will be tough. Fear not though, I doubt your class will be "focusing" on 1000 yards. Even if you have to skip the 1000 yard target, I'm sure there'll be plenty of good shooting for you to do.

Getting there isn't a problem. There are a number of bullets that transition to subsonic reasonably well. What you'll actually be able to hit with any reliability using that setup if there's any wind at all is another story. Absolutely no question you can use it to get bullets out to 1000 yd. Just be aware that a 16.5" barrel .308 gas gun is far from ideal for precision shooting at that distance.

You may also be somewhat restricted in terms of heavy (long) bullets because of mag length. My suggestion would be to go a different route. Specifically, something like Berger 168 Hybrids or 175 OTM Tactical bullets sitting on top of enough Power Pro 2000-MR or H4895 to get them moving along. Either of these bullets have much higher BCs than any of the 155s, yet are short enough to be loaded to mag length and still let you get enough powder in the case to push them along at a reasonable velocity. My guess is that loading bullets in the range of 185 gr and above to mag length with decent velocity is going to be challenging. Just remember, BC is your friend. You can use JBM Ballistics (or similar) with many different bullets to get a rough idea of how they might perform. If you have Quickload software, you can very easily get velocity estimates for different powders with various bullets. Plugging these numbers into JBM can give you a rough idea of which combination is likely to give the best combination of BC and velocity. After that, it's up to you develop the load get it working the best you can. Good luck.

Last edited:
I shoot F-class regularly and shoot 1,000yards with semi-autos...M1A, 20" 308, and AR-15 service rifle (A2 config; 600yards only).

Firstly, you'll discover that 16" 308 + 1,000yards is a good combo only on the internet...There is a reason guys that shoot this regularly do so with 30-32" barrels.

That aside, there are a number of bullets that will work; 168/178AMAX, 175SMK, 190SMK, 208AMAX, 168/175/185 Bergers, list goes on.

With that short of a barrel, you will also need a powder that will produce peak velocities...2000MR, CFE223, RL-17(175s and heavier), etc.

Shooting 1,000yards is not a big deal. once you have your elevation set, you can/will make 100% hits on target...without wind and assuming proper trigger control.

What will separate the top of the heard from everyone else is the wind....If you are not very good at reading wind, you might get blown off target if the wind is strong enough...the quality of your reloads will also come into play.

If you plan on doing 1,000 regularly, i recommend that you invest in a longer barrel...nothing less than 24".

i shoot f-class regularly and shoot 1,000yards with semi-autos...m1a, 20" 308, and ar-15 service rifle (a2 config; 600yards only).

Firstly, you'll discover that 16" 308 + 1,000yards is a good combo only on the internet...there is a reason guys that shoot this regularly do so with 30-32" barrels.

That aside, there are a number of bullets that will work; 168/178amax, 175smk, 190smk, 208amax, 168/175/185 bergers, list goes on.

With that short of a barrel, you will also need a powder that will produce peak velocities...2000mr, cfe223, rl-17(175s and heavier), etc.

Shooting 1,000yards is not a big deal. Once you have your elevation set, you can/will make 100% hits on target...without wind and assuming proper trigger control.

What will separate the top of the heard from everyone else is the wind....if you are not very good at reading wind, you might get blown off target if the wind is strong enough...the quality of your reloads will also come into play.

If you plan on doing 1,000 regularly, i recommend that you invest in a longer barrel...nothing less than 24".

this is the straight skinney..... Listen.....

You will come to learn that there is a large difference between "getting it there" and "competing". No one will have to tell you, you will find out on your own. A lot of guys erroneously believe that they can "will" their bullet to the x ring because they "want" it to go there and that they can tweak and do all sorts of mumbo jumbo to their shorty rig to get it to shoot like a 30 inch, long throat match rifle slinging a 200gr.+ bullet at 2800fps. but the cold hard facts come to reality when they show up at a match and find out the truth. Can you have fun? yeah! Can you win? not unless everyone else stays home.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I have no delusions of competing at 1000 yards with a 16" 308 ar. I have regular access to 300 yards, once a week I can shoot out to 600. And probably other than the class I want to take, I'll only shot past 600 maybe once a year for fun with some friends. I'll see what I can find in stock and go from there. Hopefully my rifle likes 178 amax, because those look to be the most affordable.

190 SMK or NCC is your best bet. Varget / RL15 / N140 / 4064 or similar burn rate.
I assumed you were looking for an OTM round, if that is not the case then above suggestion is not as accurate as it could be.

Last edited:
Shoot it with 175 smk Varget Xbr or Reloader 15 or whatever your favorite 308 powder you have. Dont worry that your barrel isnt a 30" . I shot my OBR 16" at 1100 yards all the time, windy days few hits but thats the only downside . Apply the fundamentals and youll do fine out at distance.