• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Help deciding on a mount and scope level

DDFan86

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2018
Florida
Hi all! I recently purchased the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 FFP MOA, and I just want to make sure that I choose the right mount for it. I am using it for an 18" Daniel Defense V7 Pro for precision shooting up to 500 yards. I had chosen the Vortex Precision QR Extended Cantilever Mount (CM-404), but saw that someone on here has a bobro precision optic 30mm mount low standard for sale for $150. I can get the Vortex QR Mount for $175. The most that I would like to spend is $175, so is the Vortex the best choice at the price, or is there something else that you guys would recommend?

I am also looking to add a bubble level, so what would you guys recommend? The standard vortex level? The lo pro vortex level? or something else?

Thanks!

Holy crap! Such a simple idea. I had a vortex slim level that drove me nuts because it would catch on things and always seemed to just be enough in the way and out of position to see while behind the gun that I removed it and tossed it into the parts bin. I'm going to have to pull it out and mount it upside down and see it that fixes that issue. Thanks for the idea!

I've got the Vortex 34mm lo pro level on my ATACR and really like it. I mount mine "upside down" where the level is under the parallax knob vs above it.

I like the American Defense QD mounts. They can be had for 100-130 if you can hold out. Primary arms had them on sale for 120 a few weeks ago. I run them on both of my ARs and they have held up just fine. Also I bought a bubble level from Brownells. It’s the MSR brand I believe and it’s worked great for me and they are only 30 bucks.

Accuracy 1st levels are cool. I appreciate that they are graduated so you can put a specific amount of cant in if you want. Plus, they have a compartment so you can put a tritium tube next to the level if you want it illuminated.

I thinknnthe accuracy first levels are the best design, and the most accurate. Others have copied their design, but not their accuracy. Its a good tool to help you learn, but not essential on all guns.

careful with the ADM mounts if you are doing "precision shooting"

i love them for my ARs with 1-6x close quarter stuff, but I had one on my bolt action and the vertical split rings caused tracking issues in the scope. known problem apparently that I wasn't aware of and had to learn the hard way.

Most QD setups will have some minimal POI shift. On an Aimpoint its not an issue but I wouldn't use a QD on a precision rifle. Most of the issues are with removing and reattaching, but if you're not going to remove it then why are you getting a QD mount?

FWIW I prefer the ADM mount for stuff like lights and bipods and stuff; Bobro is also good. I do not car for the Larue mounts.