• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Help me out

savage110

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2009
USA
ok so I have reloaded once before but it was with a friend who set up the dies for his press and did not teach me how to do it. I have no clue on how to setup my lee dies for my Redding press, everytime I try to insert a case to full length size my deccaping rod comes out inside the brass and I have to destroy another piece of brass to get it out, anyone have any good tutorials or links with some info for me, the instructions that came with the dies are pretty shitty and I cant download the videos off the lee website (Im running a MAC).
Thanks
-Felipe

Re: Help me out

Try youtube for some videos that should run on a MAC.

If the decapping rod is actually punching the base of the brass out, then it is adjusted so it is way too long.

Look at the level of the base of the brass on the shellholder, then adjust the decapping rod, so the tip (pin) of it is just slightly below that level when the die is brought all the way down on the brass. Enough to punch the primer out, but not to embed the actual rod into the brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jet_lagged</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
then adjust the decapping rod, so the tip (pin) of it is just slightly below that level when the die is brought all the way down on the brass. Enough to punch the primer out, but not to embed the actual rod into the brass. </div></div>
Tried this, not working and I just had to cut open another piece of brass to get the deccaping rod out. I figured out how to adjust my full lenght sizing die (I think) but the deccaping rod is a pain in the ass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuntinAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try tightening the very top nut on your Lee die. On the Lee dies I have when you tighten that it locks the decapping pin in place. </div></div>

+1, you have to tighten up the top nut to hold it in place, AFTER you have set it in the right depth. Thats why I dont use Lee dies anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuntinAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try tightening the very top nut on your Lee die. On the Lee dies I have when you tighten that it locks the decapping pin in place. </div></div>

+1, you have to tighten up the top nut to hold it in place, AFTER you have set it in the right depth. Thats why I dont use Lee dies anymore.</div></div>

Agree, they are a pain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuntinAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try tightening the very top nut on your Lee die. On the Lee dies I have when you tighten that it locks the decapping pin in place. </div></div>

+1, you have to tighten up the top nut to hold it in place, AFTER you have set it in the right depth. Thats why I dont use Lee dies anymore. </div></div>
ill be switching to Redding Micrometer competition dies as soon as I can gather the 200$+ for them. until then Im stuck with these

Lubing the inside of the case mouth as mentioned above is a good suggestion. Or better yet, put a little lube on the the expander ball with a q-tip to really get it lubed up for the first few cases. If the ball is not made of carbide, then it will have much more of a tendency to stick

I think I mis-understood your problem with my first reply. If the rod is just stripping out of the die, then adjusting the tension to hold it in more securely (as already suggested) should also help. I have a big adjustable wrench with about an 18 inch long handle just to really torque the thing in as tight as is needed. It takes more force than you think.

If the decapping rod is sticking in the brass you have it set wrong.
-Install the die body in the press (manufacture of press make no difference) to the size for the correct headspace. Or at least to Lee's written directions to start (FL: contact with shellholder when ram is up plus 1/4 to 1/2 turn, then lock)
-Run the press up so the shellholder touches the die.
-Adjust decapping rod to be level with the part of the shellholder that the case sits on.
-While holding the die body with one wrench tighten the nut holding the decapping rod. And I mean TIGHTEN it.

Nothing wrong with Lee dies. They are not an excuse to not shoot.

I've been doing this for a little bit, and I cannot shoot the difference between ammo made with a Lee Deluxe set and ammo made with a Redding Comp set given all other factors the same, period.

Shoulda showed up earlier and tossed a few downrange with us today.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just tried what ya told me steve and so far no go, this is starting to get frustrating!</div></div>

Did you hold the die and the top nut with a wrench and tighten? Thats what I had to do to my Lee dies and haven't had anymore problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuntinAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just tried what ya told me steve and so far no go, this is starting to get frustrating!</div></div>

Did you hold the die and the top nut with a wrench and tighten? Thats what I had to do to my Lee dies and haven't had anymore problems. </div></div>
Yep and I tightened them real well, the decaping rod didn't come loose this time but its not de-priming the brass and I have no way to tell if im full lentht resizing correctly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuntinAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just tried what ya told me steve and so far no go, this is starting to get frustrating!</div></div>

Did you hold the die and the top nut with a wrench and tighten? Thats what I had to do to my Lee dies and haven't had anymore problems. </div></div>
Yep and I tightened them real well, the decaping rod didn't come loose this time but its not de-priming the brass and I have no way to tell if im full lentht resizing correctly.</div></div>

The de-primming pin is most likely not set low enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It appears to be shaving brass of the neck.</div></div>

I have never had that problem..... I know if you over lube the case it will dent. But I have no idea about shaving brass of the neck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its past the base where the brass sits.</div></div>

Is it pushing the primmer out at all?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No.</div></div>

Thats really weird. Only think I can think of is your de-capping pin isn't in line with your flash hole. Not sure how that could happen, but only think I can think of.