• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors HK SP5: GSL Phoenix or Dead Air Wolfman

redhead522

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2010
Hello everyone,

I walked into my gun shop ready to shoot sporting clays, noticed an HK SP5 behind the counter, and walked out after shooting a round of sporting clays and carrying my new HK SP5.

After lots of research on suppressors I've narrowed it down to a GSL Phoenix (which is basically a revamp of the popular Gemtech MK9K) and the Dead Air Wolfman.

GSL Phoenix pros:
40 db Sound reduction!
Integrated Tri lug attachment
Serviceable
Full auto rated

GSL Phoenix cons:
Heavy (18 ounces)
Long (8.75")
Not modular

Dead Air Wolfman pros:
Modular (full size and sub size)
Excellent sound reduction
Full auto rated

Dead Air Wolfman cons:
Not serviceable (my biggest concern)
Tri lug attachment sold separately
Concerns the mounts and modular connection might come loose

I'm leaning towards the Dead Air Wolfman just for the modular ability of full and sub sizes, but the inability to service it concerns me, and I'm curious if it ever works itself loose at the attachment and modular connection.

What would you get?

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I walked into my gun shop ready to shoot sporting clays, noticed an HK SP5 behind the counter, and walked out after shooting a round of sporting clays and carrying my new HK SP5.

After lots of research on suppressors I've narrowed it down to a GSL Phoenix (which is basically a revamp of the popular Gemtech MK9K) and the Dead Air Wolfman.

GSL Phoenix pros:
40 db Sound reduction!
Serviceable
Full auto rated

GSL Phoenix cons:
Heavy (18 ounces)
Long (8.75")
Not modular

Dead Air Wolfman pros:
Full auto rated

Dead Air Wolfman cons:

I'm leaning towards the Dead Air Wolfman just for the modular ability of full and sub sizes, but the inability to service it concerns me, and I'm curious if it ever works itself loose at the attachment and modular connection.

What would you get?

Thanks!
Of those choices: Wolfman, all day, everyday. Don't let the inability to remove baffles concern you, there is no reason to take them out. If it has issues, Dead Air will take care of it.

Reactions: redhead522
Another vote for Dead Air Wolfman. I have the predecessor, Wolf9SD. Its very quiet and very durable. I would not worry about the serviceability of it. It will last for a very very long time and any problems with it, deadair will take care of you.

I will also suggest the Surefire Ryder 9-MP5. I am still waiting on my stamp to take it home. But, I have been able to shoot one a bit at the range. It is very rock solid on a 3 lug mount and nice and quiet.

Reactions: redhead522
Hello everyone,

GSL Phoenix pros:
40 db Sound reduction!
Serviceable
Full auto rated

GSL Phoenix cons:
Heavy (18 ounces)
Long (8.75")
Not modular

Dead Air Wolfman pros:
Full auto rated

Dead Air Wolfman cons:

What would you get?

Thanks!

I guess its been a long freakin time since Ive been on here.

This isn't really comparing apples to apples here.
the wolfman is a great can, but it does offer the ability to shoot pistols AND PCCS where the phoenix is a PCC dedicated can.

yes, the phoenix is much better sound reduction, that is what its designed for.

if you are considering this only for the MP5, i would chose the GSL Phoenix all day.
if you were to compare two similar cans, i would look at the GSL Stealth vs the Wolfman.
the GSL Stealth has the pistol piston capability also and is lighter weight, can be used on both the PCCs and pistols, and includes the 1/2x28 pistol piston mount with it. the GSL Stealth is user serviceable, which sounds important to you... I would chose the GSL Stealth 9mm can over the wolfman.

the stealth is lighter weight, lower priced, shorter length, smaller diameter, and has more mount options available for it

check out this comparison guide of similar cans attached

Kevin Kinzer
Law Enforcement & Dealer Sales Consultant | GSL Technology
(cell) 706.828.1770
[email protected]
Find Us Online: GSL_LINKTREE

Attachments

• 1GSL-Stealth-VS-Competition.pdf
    667.5 KB · Views: 29
Another 2024 option for PCC’s is the Otter Creek Labs Lithium 9. It was designed for PCC’s, and it had lots of its testing performed on/around the MP5 specifically.