Hodgdon memo- no more kegs!

Re: Hodgdon memo- no more kegs!

I'm sure they'll get crap for this, but it makes sense. They can't keep up with demand and lots of guys are at stores with empty shelves, if they can't find 1# bottles of Hodgdon then they are buying something else and switching brands. Hodgdon is probably just trying to serve the masses and protect their market share. Guys like us that buy a few 8# jugs at a time are not the norm....and we'll just buy 16 1#'s if needed.

It sucks, but I can see why they are making the choice.

Enough to make me order some more powder. Just placed an order for an 8# keg of Varget and since I'm paying a hazmat fee, I picked up 16#'s of Reloader 22.

-X

No matter to me. I've given up on Varget because NOBODY has had it when I looked and had money to spend (even the on-lines) for months.

Last time, we bought 4 1-lbs because nothing else had been available for...MONTHS...in 9 stores in two cities.

My guy has Varget in 1# cans and it's $20 before tax. Widners has it or $133 in 8# jugs. $20 Hazmat plus shipping and I'm not that far off the mark.

I don't have the cash to buy 24# of powder at a time to offset the Hazmat $20 fee, so I'm not worried too much.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and we'll just buy 16 1#'s if needed</div></div>

And will they all be from the same lot? That's the issue I'm loathe to deal with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and we'll just buy 16 1#'s if needed</div></div>

And will they all be from the same lot? That's the issue I'm loathe to deal with.

</div></div>

The mix all 16 together and make your own "lot"

My take on this current situation is that now is a good time to sideline the chamberings that get poor gas mileage, and concentrate on the economy loadings.

Costs less to shoot the .223 than the .3338LM, for instance; and the powder jugs do tend to empty out a lot slower. I'm even getting ready to switch (maybe) from .223 to .222.

Harder times dictate harder choices.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and we'll just buy 16 1#'s if needed</div></div>

</div></div>

Take a clean large bucket pour all same powder containers from separate lots in it mixing it carefully as you add different containers, carefully mix and then refill the jugs - issue solved. I do it with Varget anyhow as lot to lot variations can sometimes be as much of a few grains different with the same caliber and bullet.

Memo to Hodgdon:

See if Mulwex or whoever it is in Australia can get some of that $200,000.00 per job created stimulus package money to build a plant here in the US to make Varget.

Looks like they would sell all they could make, and not have to worry about shipping it halfway around the world, to boot!

I'd be happy to help negotiate the land purchase or lease, set up the US corporation, and do the employment agreements.

I think a joint venture co-owned by Hodgdon and whoever would be in order.

They could probably pop out a batch of H4895 every couple of lots, too.

Heck, if it costs $2/lb to ship the stuff, they could cut the price here by a buck and still be ahead financially.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe-n-TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, how do you mix it? Just turn it with a wooden spoon? </div></div>

Electric mixer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Just Roy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe-n-TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, how do you mix it? Just turn it with a wooden spoon? </div></div>

Electric mixer. </div></div>

uh i'll pass on that. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Just Roy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe-n-TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, how do you mix it? Just turn it with a wooden spoon? </div></div>

Electric mixer. </div></div>
Throw it in my big brass tumbler!!
laugh.gif

Yes, you can, but I never have. I would worry about the actual consistency of the mixing. If you could truely mix it evenly, then it would work. But if you are precision shooting, and you get some that had more of one lot, and some of the other, now you're worse off.

Some of you guys really over think shit. If you worried about you lot(s) being constant, dump the powder (only the same type) in a clean plastic 5 gallon bucket and stir it with a wooden paddle. Re-bottle in the original containers. Work up you load from there.

Good luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and we'll just buy 16 1#'s if needed</div></div>

</div></div>

The mix all 16 together and make your own "lot" </div></div>

I thought I was the only one who did that... LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ordered 10 1lb bottles of Varget from my 'source'...

He's a good dude for sure... and Shaggy says he cuddles nice too....laffin' </div></div>

You're killin' me Smalls!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver Bullet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all,

I CALLED Hodgdon this morning regarding no keg memo.

sales said it is an ugly rumor.8# kegs will continue. </div></div>

That's interesting because Midway no longer lists 8# jugs of Varget but lists all the others.

Holycrap I was worried there for a minute. I am glad I read this thread the whole way. I have not had an issue with the powder as of yet. However PRIMERS on the other hand are a ghost in the night. My local shop was only selling 2 sleeves at a time to people, I thought WTF. So I got a diff. supplier and he ordered me a case of mag and a case of large...I think I am good for a while. Everyone is in panic mode because of the "election". A guy that would by 1 lb of powder is buying 8 lbs now and a guy that was buying a sleeve of primers buys a brick and so on.

Yeh a while back someone comented on this abou not being able to get 8lbs kegs. I emailed Hogden imediatally and the response was they are still packaging the kegs. With all the hoarding going on the first ones to disapear will be the more popular ones. Varget and RL15 are getting scarce. It's out there though.