• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Honda 4trax Forman vs Rancher ATV's

TurdFerguson

thinking sucks
Minuteman
Supporter
Jul 18, 2014
Burgerworld
Looking to get a new ATV for side work and getting around the property. Mainly will be used for side work such as marking timber, TSI work, so it needs to be able to carry paint, or a saw/weedeater with a blade and fit into stocked woodlots. Needs to be able to follow skid trails and climb steepish ground following skid trails.

Also would be used for doing chores around the farm, I am planning to start inoculating/growing shiitake mushrooms/collecting sap from my over abundance of Black Walnut trees on my property. It would need to be reliable enough so I can leave the tractor in my shed.

Anyone have either? I'd like to keep it under 10k and fit in the bed of my pickup when going to possible sites.

Also, where is the best financing, I have not even begun to apply for loans but seeing the interest rates on these things is wild, dealerships are advertising 7.99% interest. I assume I could get it to go lower with good credit/down payment?

I’ve owned both, the last being a 2020 foreman rubicon, wasn’t crazy about the new auto transmission. If I was to do over again I’d just stick with the foreman with the electric shift. The Honda rancher I had was lighter and had plenty of power, it was the electric shift model and was a complete tank. If I was gonna get another 4 wheeler it would be a Rancher 420 ES.

Wife has an older rancher (2014).

Electric shift is nice. Can either be auto or manual. Manual done by clicking up and down arrows, auto just shifts for you.
Electric power steering is necessary.

420 isn't fast. It's also reliable and easy on the rest of the drivetrain. It hits the rev limiter at 50mph on the road.

We take it up in the mountains. It'll go anywhere as long as it's not dragging hard enough to get high centered.

Primarily it moves snow in the winter. I put a 3500lb harbor freight winch on it for less than $200. Used the mount from KSI.

I just change the oil every year, diff oil every other. 2000 miles with no issues.

Ranchers are cheap because they're essentially still a 15+ year old design.
The more expensive you go the more power and better suspension you get. That's primarily what you're paying for.

My credit union finances anything with a vehicle title as a vehicle.
That said, I have been paying cash for the toys and tools with current rates.

Reactions: Stevo86
I have an '08 Rancher. The machine has been bulletproof. It's not fancy but is easy on gas and gets me where I need to be. It's been used as a fencing machine on a cattle ranch and does just fine in that role. My Rancher has the manual shift and while not as convenient as the electronic shift, it has never let me down.

Last edited:
Owned both. Highly recommend electric shift. So easy and zero problems in over a decade.
Check you local credit union or the manufacturer website. Often when sales are slower , like now, manufacturers will have some great rates. Be informed before you go to the dealer. Stay away from prepaid maintenance.
Change your own oil, keep air filter clean, use ethanol shield or PRI-G fuel stabilizer, stay away from Stabil, use a battery tender.