• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Horse Power, Track Shit, Torque, Cubic Inches, Liters, Run What Ya Brung, Auto or Cycle

EDIT: it seems the more I read on studs the common consensus is at least 1-2 threads protrusion from the nut so that tells me the shortest stud is out as my math tells me it will be at least 1 thread down inside the nut. Still open to others opinions.

Here's a question for the more educated/experienced on the topic... I've never messed with studs before.

Building an aluminum Ford 8.8 IRS for my Miata.

Doing what I can to keep any case flex under control so I am putting studs in the carrier caps. ARP makes them and they are only like 35-40 bucks so just an off the shelf part.

The 8.8 stud is 3.125 in length and I was TOLD this is to short for the aluminum case as the caps are different.

I was TOLD that I needed the 9" H case studs which are 3.400 in length.

There is also the regular 9" version which is 3.250 in length.

Well this was what I ended up with with the 3.400 length stud.

Now I didnt torque the stud into the case as I wanted to be able to return them if needed, but I cant imagine I get anything more than 1/4 turn as torque on a stud is only like 10 ft. lbs. And of COURSE the battery on my caliper was dead so I need to grab a battery later. I used a micrometer to eyeball it and its at least .250 long. Nut is also not torqued onto the stud(which would make stud protrusion even worse). So I may end up 1/4 turn further in, but then when torquing simply regain that same 1/4 turn giving me essentially nothing.

Here is the rear cover I will be using(ford performance cobra 8.8)... I dont have one on hand to actually measure for clearance. Just from looking at the picture I ASSUME I have enough clearance for at least the nut sticking out past the case. The caps stick out past the case as it is.

So with these 3.400 being obviously to long. My estimate is .250 to long. Do I go down to a 3.250 stud and have .100 estimated protrusion from the nut? Or do a I go down to a 3.125 and have the stud down in the nut a little bit(estimate .025)?

The other thing i have seen people mention is there is enough hole at the bottom that you can run a bottoming tap another ~1 turns in the hole which I think would eat up ~.07 of my extra .100 length and thus give me only .030 protrusion which is almost nothing.

I can get both other lengths to try, but I would like to avoid needing to do that if I can as returning them is a pain.

You're supposed to fill the entire length of the nut with full threads, which means that you'll typically want to have 2-3 threads protruding from the nut (the first couple threads on a bolt aren't guaranteed to be full due to manufacturing). So if you've got 20 TPI threads on the stud, you're typically forced into 0.100-0.150" of protrusion if you want to follow the rules. (Note: ARP themselves do not always follow the rules.)

Tapping the case with a bottoming tap is a fine way to start. You can also face the portion of the stud that goes into the case and pick up a bit of additional insertion (don't go crazy, obviously - just take off the "cup" that typically exists at the end of a rolled thread). That might get you sufficient clearance. Beyond that, I'd personally explore some options that involve ditching the thick washer in favor of a thinner part, shortening the stud and accepting the loss of the broached hex recess but also understanding that it's unlikely to be removed ever again, and/or clearancing the cover as necessary. The older I get, the more I find myself grinding the cheapest part first.

You're supposed to fill the entire length of the nut with full threads, which means that you'll typically want to have 2-3 threads protruding from the nut (the first couple threads on a bolt aren't guaranteed to be full due to manufacturing). So if you've got 20 TPI threads on the stud, you're typically forced into 0.100-0.150" of protrusion if you want to follow the rules. (Note: ARP themselves do not always follow the rules.)

Tapping the case with a bottoming tap is a fine way to start. You can also face the portion of the stud that goes into the case and pick up a bit of additional insertion (don't go crazy, obviously - just take off the "cup" that typically exists at the end of a rolled thread). That might get you sufficient clearance. Beyond that, I'd personally explore some options that involve ditching the thick washer in favor of a thinner part, shortening the stud and accepting the loss of the broached hex recess but also understanding that it's unlikely to be removed ever again, and/or clearancing the cover as necessary. The older I get, the more I find myself grinding the cheapest part first.

Guy on another forum with a very similar setup says my current protrusion is fine and will clear the cover I am looking at. I still think I am going to swap to the slightly shorter stud and have about .100 protrusion.

Reactions: E. Bryant

Got the other studs that were .200 shorter... perfect as I am going to get.

I bent and broke the hitch on our John Deere ProGator due to some inadequate fabrication by the previous owner and maybe a bit of abuse on my behalf. Fortunately, the older boy earned his Welding merit badge at camp this summer and is ready for more practice.

Yes, the younger one is wearing shorts and sandals. He's been warned several times, but has always been the learn-by-personal-experience type when it comes to these things.

PXL_20240901_184513835.jpg

PXL_20240902_140135089.jpg
PXL_20240901_223928249.MP.jpg
PXL_20240902_135851387.jpg

PXL_20240902_172613549.jpg

Spent another great weekend at Ozark International Raceway. Car ran great, cant say the same for all the cars in my group.

Ended the weekend with a 2:58 lap which for 140hp is pretty good. Buddy with a similar car, but lighter went 2:55. My Garmin showed an optimum of 2:56 on one of the sessions so I know the car has more in it. I was really growing some balls in a few places and letting the aero hold me to the track and just going all out. Was up a bunch of Porsche GT3 asses all weekend LOL. If I had more HP(cant wait for the LS) I would be ravaging them.

One buddy went off first session on Sunday(same basic car as me) and his front splitter(wood) folded under and exploded. Took out his radiator, crank sensor, reluctor wheel, radiator mounts, and a few other things. His weekend was over...

Another was torquing lugs Sunday morning and discovered a massive crack in one of his rotors...weekend over.

One guy doing shake down in a Champ Car they recently got, lost the throttle... 2 of the 3 bolts on the throttle cable bracket were gone... easy fix with a run into town.

Buddy with C6 Z06 with built motor, cage, etc... has had lots of issues and finally thought they were solved... kept filling the air/oil separator and puking oil everywhere. Shop said "gotta be over filled, just keep draining it" and by the end of the weekend it was ok, but the car wasnt running right... wrong tune loaded... my buddy doesnt mess with that stuff so only one source of that... and the exhaust came loose because the clamps werent tightened...again shop was only one that touched it...

Had a C8 Z06 out in our group and he was sending it by the end of the weekend. Also had a regular C8, a Gen 6 Camaro ZL1 1LE, Porsche GT4, E46 M3 and a 2021 Miata ND(I used to own and sold it to this guy who has done a really nice build on it)...

So Sunday afternoon I was out and it was hot and I was about to come in a bit early and saw my buddy Peter with the Miata I sold him... I said "mother fucker" and spent like 2ish laps catching him and getting a pass and then slowly leaving him... I earned the pass. He was like "damn bro im super impressed by your car". Another session the guy in our group who had the E46 M3 came onto the track as I was going through turn 1(which is also pit out blend line). He chased me but we only had like 4 laps left and he couldnt catch me.

Tuesday I went and got a 4 post I had ordered 2 weeks ago and my neighbor helped me install it... the humidity had to be hovering at like 99%... miserable.

And when I was putting the Miata on it I discovered I have a coolant leak... oh joy... and where I think its coming from is almost impossible to get to and its easier to pull the head to repair so...we shall see.

I own a bunch of property right next to that track. LOVE hearing the cars run!

Reactions: oneshot86