• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

How do I get to 200yds. with rimfire?

FoxtrotBravo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2010
Texas
I understand how long distance works with centerfire. But, what do I need to be thinking about to reach 200yds. with a .22LR successfully? I am particularly concerned with optics/mounting and ammunition to use.

Thanks.

Re: How do I get to 200yds. with rimfire?

These ballpark sight settings which have worked to get me on paper. The numbers will vary depending on ammo etc. I use 25 yard pistol targets or any other large cardboard just to get on paper at first. A safe bet once you have a 50 yard zero is about 7 MOA of up to get to a 100 yard zero. Once you have your 100 yard zero about 21 MOA of up will get you to 200 yards. If you decide to go farther......from a 100yard zero you will need about 39 MOA of up to get to 300 yards. From your 100yard zero you will need about 70 MOA of up to get to 400 yards. That is the farthest that I have shot my 22lr. You'll have a blast.
Once you see how much "up" you have in your current setup you can make a better decision as to what you may need to reach your goal.
Semper Fi

I have a Bushnell SportView 20-60x60 spotting scope that I have used easily out to 300 yards. I think it was about $75. As for the rifle scope, don't go cheap just for higher magnification. You will get better results by paying a little more for something nice, crisp, sharp, and clear. All of the targets in the link in my sig were shot with my 5-15x50 Bushnell Elite 3200, while I do have a really low budget scope that goes to 24x. Also getting some shoot n c's will make it a little more fun. I shoot with a .17 HMR, but optics-wise it's pretty much the same. Check out some pics in the competition section. There are some guys there that go out to 200 pretty regularly.

1. of course the whole sloped moa base will get some of that much needed moa, and example of two of them:
DIVERSIFIED INNOVATIVE PRODUCTS (formerly of rimfire technologies) / EGW BASE REVIEW

the moa insert rings that burris has could also get you out there, but i do like the picatinny rail for attaching other goodies (level, cosine indicator, other).

2. consistant ammo - very crucial. wolf, sk, eley, etc. the more top shelf ammos will give you better results and hold their line better from round to round.

3. optic - i like a 4-16x or higher magnification optic. the 6-24 or higher power is really nice to have on IMO as you can see your hits without the spotting scope.

4. good data - the ammo i'm using is aguila match rifle - it's not quite as good as the wolf or sk match, but is about half the price with just being a little off in consistancy of the before mentioned. it drops 69" from a 50 yard zero out to 200. with 1/8" adjustment turrets on my mkii optic, i have to go past 0 on the turret 4 times. you could use holdover (mildots, fat part of the 30/30 reticle, etc), but i like the idea of having crosshairs on target.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1235795#Post1235795

this'll keep you busy:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2015300#Post2015300

once you do it and start doin it consistant, you'll be hooked.

off course a light rigger, steady rest, good shooting form, etc. comes into play, but those top 4 above with a "plain jane" set up will keep get you and keep you on paper.

Tasco Super Sniper ver.1 in Leupold rings on my 504 has taken me out to 300 with sub sonic ammo.
Use JBM or something like it to figure out your comeups.
Watch the wind carefully.

If you are wondering about whether high velocity ammo is better, it is not. While the 22LR bullet will handle going transonic better than most centerfires will, it is best to keep it transonic the whole flight.

If you need more elevation than your scope will allow, get a base with built-in cant. I have a 20 MOA base and have no issues going up. My come-ups are 7.5 mils from 50 to 200 (that is about 26 MOA).

^ Yeah I think mine is 25 MOA. When I was a member of the club up north, there was this guy who, with a .22 LR and iron sights, would aim about 3 feet over the 300 yard gong and peg it almost every time. I have no idea how he did it. But it was awesome.

I'm using a NF Uni-mount (20moa slope) with a NF BR 12-42x56 (only has 40moa) on my Kidd 10/22 to reach out to 200yds. With a 100yd zero and shooting Wolf MT I need about 26+ MOA elevation to reach out to 200yds.

Thanks for all the replies and links, they have been quite informative and give me a good feel of what things to be thinking about.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are wondering about whether high velocity ammo is better, it is not. While the 22LR bullet will handle going transonic better than most centerfires will, it is best to keep it <span style="color: #3366FF">transonic</span> the whole flight.</div></div>

I would appreciate a clarification on this. Did you mean to say subsonic? And, I <span style="font-style: italic">was</span> wondering about HV ammo!

A question I've been meaning to ask, on the match quality ammo, or maybe just better than plinking ammo, is there a B.C. listed to use with JBM and other ballistic calculators?

Or, does a shooter just use trial and error to find the POI?

Transonic is a way of keeping the air pressure around the bullet as equal as you can from the barrel to the target. When the bullet goes from supersonic to subsonic, a turbulence is created that effects the flight path of the bullet. I think what he is trying to say is to just keep it one way or the other. Stay supersonic throughout the entire path, or subsonic. Choose one way or the other. But try not to fall below the sound barrier during flight. This will lead to better accuracy. But I could very well be wrong.

I have read that average ammo from a .17 HMR doesn't usually fall below the sound barrier until about 400 - 450 yards, so I never really have to worry about it since the farthest I've ever even fired it was out to 300. At 100 yards, where I usually fire at, the bullet is still traveling at about 1800 fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Neoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JBM already has the BC for most rimfire ammo in the dropdown list </div></div>
thumbs_up.gif

Well, I was going to say put your target at 200 then walk back to the truck and get a .308, but there is some good info in this thread.

I have shot to 300 with my Anshutz 64, but I just never found it to be as much fun as shooting at 50 and 100. Even with Eley match which is in the 0.1's on the 50, I was dissapointed at anything over 100. I think that even with match grade ammo, the consistency for truly accurate shooting at these distances is just not going to happen with my setup and my skill level.

Good luck with your shooting, I hope you have a better experiences at that distance than I do.
madd0c

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FoxtrotBravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A question I've been meaning to ask, on the match quality ammo, or maybe just better than plinking ammo, is there a B.C. listed to use with JBM and other ballistic calculators?

Or, does a shooter just use trial and error to find the POI? </div></div>

One thing I have noticed this year, and last year, is that when the weather changes (cools down) my 26 - 27 MOA is not enough.

My setup on my Savage MKII FVT is; 20 MOA EGW Base with Tasco Target/Varmint 6-24x42mm Scope. When the weather cools down the cross hairs won't carry the target with a center hold at 200 yards and I need to use the mil-dots on the scope.

Come Spring and nice weather everything works fine with the center hold & cross hairs. The ammo I use is the Eley Sport which works well at the elevation I live.

Naturally it's not top grade ammo, but for dinging a 4x5 inch gong from 200 yards off the bench with my setup it's pretty darn consistant.

It sure doesn't hurt to do some ammo testing and see what works best for you and your firearm. I tested 3 or 4 sub and standard velocity ammo's, and at 3900 feet above sea level, I found them all to work well, but the Eley Sport did work best for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madd0c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I was going to say put your target at 200 then walk back to the truck and get a .308, but <span style="color: #FF0000">there is some good info in this thread</span>.</div></div>

That's for sure! This thread has given me a lot more info than I had even hoped for!
cool.gif
And, I want to say a big "thank you" to everyone who has contributed.

The reason behind asking about this is that a local club is looking at putting on rimfire matches that involve shooting from 50 to 200 yards. All of my .22 shooting has been "old school" to quote someone on another thread.

Generic data -- your mileage may vary (this came out of a very old book and I have not shot it):

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">.22 Long Rifle</span></span>

Zero at 50 Meters. Add 25 X 1/4 minute clicks to get to 100 Meters.

From 100 to 150 add 21 clicks.
From 150 to 175 add 18 clicks.
From 175 to 200 add 28 clicks.

Shoot steel or an NRA SR (200-yard) center. Mini-Palma says a .22LR at 200 is affected similar to 7.62 at 1,000 -- you have to stay on top of your winds.

The information the guys are sharing is right on the money! From our .22LR experience, to go from a 100 yard zero to a 200 yard zero requires 20 Minutes of "up" adjustment. In terms of a 1/4 minute scope adjustment, it is 77-80 clicks up from 100 to 200. That will change with temperature.

In contrast, the .17 HMR needs 4 MOA "up" from 100 to 200 yards.

Flash

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROGER4314</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The information the guys are sharing is right on the money! From our .22LR experience, to go from a 100 yard zero to a 200 yard zero requires 20 Minutes of "up" adjustment. In terms of a 1/4 minute scope adjustment, it is 77-80 clicks up from 100 to 200. That will change with temperature.

Flash </div></div>

Anyone have extended range dope on the 17 further than 200. Obviously your fighting the wind that much more, but I didn't realize it shot that flat out to 200. I would be interested to see what you guys are getting at 250, 300, 350 and 400 if anyone has pushed that little pill that far. Honestly I have had one on the to do list, but that makes me want to move it up a few notches!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROGER4314</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The information the guys are sharing is right on the money! From our .22LR experience, to go from a 100 yard zero to a 200 yard zero requires 20 Minutes of "up" adjustment. In terms of a 1/4 minute scope adjustment, it is 77-80 clicks up from 100 to 200. That will change with temperature.

Flash </div></div>

Anyone have extended range dope on the 17 further than 200. Obviously your fighting the wind that much more, but I didn't realize it shot that flat out to 200. I would be interested to see what you guys are getting at 250, 300, 350 and 400 if anyone has pushed that little pill that far. Honestly I have had one on the to do list, but that makes me want to move it up a few notches!!! </div></div>

Well, I gave up at 300, because 20MOA at 200 didn;t seem that flat to me. Maybe if I layed the targets flat on the ground I could drop them on it like a mortar at 400.
smile.gif

EDIT: Ooops, didnt see you were talking about the 17HMR, disregard this post
smile.gif

madd0c

This is with about 80 degrees, sunny, 1200 ft elevation.

im looking at about 5 mil to the 200 from a hundred yard zero.

for the 350 yard target I crank in all the elevation on the buckmaster (20 min base too) and give it a 3 mil hold at 12x lol... not precise but 2 liter bottle accurate without wind. Unknown distance would not be my friend here however lol.
SBS, it is easy to do it with open sights if you find a good aiming point with the scoped rifle lol.

for the 450 I leave the elevation maxed and dial the magnification back to 4.5. at 3.5 mil hold here will drop them right onto a steel torso, or at least close enough to scare the bejesus out of it and get me some dust to correct off.

I am trying to do some unknown distance stuff, and have been doing ok out to about 250. Beyond that is pretty wild stuff though. do they make .22 lr tracers lol? Id love to see the arc on the thing.

Cabela's use to sell .22LR tracers. Don't know how good they are for your barrel, or if they even handle them anymore?

^^^the same thing can be done for range finding. a paper with rough estimates of game sizes (squirrel, groundhog, turkey, coyote, etc.whether its' head to toe or back to belly - your choice) with a line drawn across it.

adjust the magnification, when the post and horizontal crosshair or even the next post brackets it, make a note of what power it's on at the distance you have the paper at, and now you have a way to range find for multiple target sizes at multiple distances. match that against your drop or holdover and wind data, dial it and squeeze the trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROGER4314</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The information the guys are sharing is right on the money! From our .22LR experience, to go from a 100 yard zero to a 200 yard zero requires 20 Minutes of "up" adjustment. In terms of a 1/4 minute scope adjustment, it is 77-80 clicks up from 100 to 200. That will change with temperature.

Flash </div></div>

Anyone have extended range dope on the 17 further than 200. Obviously your fighting the wind that much more, but I didn't realize it shot that flat out to 200. I would be interested to see what you guys are getting at 250, 300, 350 and 400 if anyone has pushed that little pill that far. Honestly I have had one on the to do list, but that makes me want to move it up a few notches!!! </div></div>

I've shot mine out to 300 several times. My best was a 3.8" 5 round group. This is certainly not the norm though. The conditions were absolutely perfect. However, under normal conditions I can usually peg a 12" shoot n c pretty consistantly. It's been a long time since I have fired out past 100 yards. With a 100 zero, I think I had to come up 8 clicks for 200, while often having to adjust for wind. 300 was pretty wild though. I think I had to come up like 40 clicks or something rediculous like that. That tiny 17 gr. bullet just doesn't really have any energy left after 200. I could only shoot at 300 when conditions were pretty much completely still, leaving elevation the only thing I had to deal with. Windage was just way too hard.

I went out to 300 today with my Savage 93. Conditions were ideal, low seventies, zero wind. Even without being able to feel any wind I still have to put in 6" of windage to get on target. I couldn't believe how far off it was. As for elevation I came up 44 clicks to get on target. If the wind stayed down I could hit clays every other shot. Definitely not easy, and it started to get frustrating because changing conditions affected the bullet so much. One shot would be right on and if a little breeze picked up the next one would be another 6" left.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogmessiah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that drift might also have something to do with 22lr ammo not being that consistent. </div></div>

If you were referring to my post, the Savage 93 is a 17. However I do agree with you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nighthawker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for elevation I came up 44 clicks to get on target. One shot would be right on and if a little breeze picked up the next one would be another 6" left. </div></div>

Come ups were exactly the same for me. And 6" of drift on a fairly calm day is pretty normal. That's why I just slap a 12" shoot n c out there. If it drifts that far one way or the other and still hit, I could consider myself at least getting a torso shot out of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madd0c</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROGER4314</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The information the guys are sharing is right on the money! From our .22LR experience, to go from a 100 yard zero to a 200 yard zero requires 20 Minutes of "up" adjustment. In terms of a 1/4 minute scope adjustment, it is 77-80 clicks up from 100 to 200. That will change with temperature.

Flash </div></div>

Well, I gave up at 300, because 20MOA at 200 didn;t seem that flat to me. Maybe if I layed the targets flat on the ground I could drop them on it like a mortar at 400.
smile.gif

EDIT: Ooops, didnt see you were talking about the 17HMR, disregard this post
smile.gif

madd0c </div></div>

Hell, madd0c. Sounds like a good idea anyway.

For those here in Ohio I think Dale is working on putting together a rimfire shoot for possibly one this year and next year. Max range at this time is 300 yards. Rifles or Pistols can be used. So far, I'd not want to be a lil target at the 300 yard line.

Topstrap

Took my old JC Higgins .22 to 200 a couple weeks ago, had to hold at 6.5 mils w/ my 50yd zero. Was shooting Fed Lightning 40gr solids(1.50/box at Wally World), kept most of the rounds in about an 8" circle. not too bad for first go at 200 w/ my CenterPoint 4-16, use it on 10x and dial up the mag to see the holes. Fun shooting, but man the wind does play hell at 200.
Eric

50 yds.

Shot a 50 round box of a new ammo at this target after running a few patches with Hoppes.
10 shots on left; last 5 shots on right

100 yds.

dialed up 7 MOA and did this on first shot! (first time to dial in for a rimfire at 100 yds and was pretty excited to see this; and, it's because of the great advice above in this topic!)

two 10 shot groups

on to 200 yds.

first shot at the top above "200" and the second shot at the very bottom; third shot is right on the 10 ring to the left of the "9"; 20 shots total; final dial up was 75 clicks/18+ MOA from 100 yd. setting

I know it's not great shooting compared to you experienced folks, but I was happy to be able to get a .22lr out to 200 yards. And once again, I was able to do it because of the great info posted above by you guys. Thanks for making this such an informative thread.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run a similar setup on my "working gun" foxtrotbravo. My 77/22 All Weather is very light handy but most importantly accurate.

This thread is a little old...so far what have learned since your last post? Clearly your doing quite well.

Have you tried target speed and subsonic ammo yet?

Are you using JBM or have you went on to other calcs? From my experience with sub rounds using 10yd increments works best for keeping field dope info.</div></div>

Yes, this thread is somewhat old! But, it has taken me a while to get to this point due to "life". When I started the thread, I did not have this rifle. So, I've bought the rifle, bought the slanted rail, and a bunch of ammo to try out. This was only the second ammo to try, and it was the first subsonic I've ever used. I also had to get answers to some questions (by way of this Rimfire forum) to be confident that I was using a good approach.

I did run a JBM table to get drops.

What have I learned? A nicer .22 is good to have and fun to shoot. You really can get to 200 yards using a calculated method! Also, based on only two ammo types, it appears that there is a big difference in grouping by the time you have sent 50 rounds downrange.

Anyway, I wanted to post the results of my efforts after opening up this topic in case someone else came along that could benefit from it.