• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

How much brass do you buy for AI fire forming?

Re: How much brass do you buy for AI fire forming?

I bought 1k in virgin LC 5.56 brass for my 223ai, and I have another 2k of once fired R/P on hand. That being said, I might be slightly OCD when it comes to components. I have 300 formed cases that I will retire when the time comes.

I anneal them on the third firing, and have 5 firings on this batch, including the fireform. I anticipate around 6-8k rounds before the barrel gives up its ghost.

Re: How much brass do you buy for AI fire forming?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hyoslvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just get no more than 100 of each brand you want to try. Fire form and work with them until you figure out which one works best for you. After you find your pet load then you stock up on the brass, powder, etc. </div></div>

+1 Try each brand out. Then stock up on the one you think works best. It never hurts to get as much as you can if you find a deal. I got a whole bunch of .308 Lapua brass for $50 a box. 700 to be exact. I don't plan on blowing right through it. But I'm going to form 400 for my 7mm-08 and leave 300 for .308.