• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Sidearms & Scatterguns I need help with my Strider SNG edge?

reewik

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 8, 2009
    La Vergne, TN
    I have my best and favorite knife I have ever owned. I love it but I will be damned if I can get an edge on it. I sent it in to be sharpened and it is just not all that sharp. Yes I know it is hard to put an edge on this type of steel but someone has to have done it, Any suggestions?

Re: I need help with my Strider SNG edge?

If you aren't good at freehand on stones, get a good kit like an Edge Pro or alike. Get some diamond stones and go slow. Progress down to fine ceramic.. don't go crazy with the diamonds though..they take lots of metal. Good luck.

It is a big fat edge. I could get mine to sherd paper but not shave hair. I gave up and bought an edge pro. Remember too, stropping makes a major difference.

Good luck

Get a knife that is made to cut instead of pry?
    smile.gif
    Just kidding, I like Striders...but I've never met a sharp one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a knife that is made to cut instead of pry?
    smile.gif
    Just kidding, I like Striders...but I've never met a sharp one. </div></div>

A lot of wisdom in this. Those blades are designed to take a lot of abuse, and their geometry doesn't lend them to ever getting razor sharp. They do hold their edge a while though......

Bumping this up, I have a SMF which is a little larger and a little thicker than your SNG. It isn't the slicer that my Military is because of the blade thickness, but I managed to get it sharp enough to shave with (will even shave the stubble on my face.)

I use a sharpmaker, and take time to make sure the knife is consistently vertical. I put a 30 degree inclusive back bevel on it followed by a 40 degree cutting edge. Stropped with a bit of cardboard, and the results are very good.

Another observation is that depending on the finish you have on the knife, changing the profile of the cutting edge to narrow it and thus make it consistently sharper will destroy the look of a finished knife. That said, waterstones and a strop are the way to go IMHO.

If I was you I'd invest in a Wicked Edge sharpener. They're a little pricey but they'll put an unbelievable edge on a knife. You can get mirror polished edges with one of those babies! They're pretty much idiot proof too. Anyone can sharpen a knife with one.

Strider is an expensive knife so I'm sure you'd be willing to buy the proper tool to keep it functional right?

Here's a link: http://www.wickededgeusa.com/

You can re-profile nicely with an EdgePro. Go slow and take your time. I spent three hours or so getting mine dialed in. If you bring the edge down you will be able to get it wicked sharp and that s30v holds an edge like a champ. Lots of info out there on preserving the finish when re-profiling. It has become my goto edc now, and I have only had to ceramic stone it occasionally to keep it in line.

SNG.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zazenist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can re-profile nicely with an EdgePro. Go slow and take your time. I spent three hours or so getting mine dialed in. If you bring the edge down you will be able to get it wicked sharp and that s30v holds an edge like a champ. Lots of info out there on preserving the finish when re-profiling. It has become my goto edc now, and I have only had to ceramic stone it occasionally to keep it in line.

SNG.jpg
    </div></div>

I should add that the Edge Pro is for experienced sharpeners or someone that's willing to learn. It takes some technique where the Wicked Edge does not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a knife that is made to cut instead of pry?
    smile.gif
    Just kidding, I like Striders...but I've never met a sharp one. </div></div>

By the nature of the extremely thick edge it is true Strider knives are not be the best slicers made.
    That aside with the right skill set (or Edge Pro/Wicked Edge) a Strider can easily be made hair popping sharp.
    Not toilet paper slicing sharp, but plenty sharp enough for utility work.

For light duty work I pack a Spyderco Stretch in ZDP-189 (or similar) along with one of my Striders.
    They aren't for everyone, but there is no denying the brute force reliability of Mick Strider's Blades.

Was having great results with my Sharpmaker. Having even better results with my new Wicked Edge. I reprofiled my SMF to 32 degrees inclusive, and it is a great slicer now. Been working on the polish of the bevel...
    2011-12-27203942.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Probably meant 19 per side. </div></div>

Yes, 19* per side. The main edge is shaving sharp, the short edge of the tanto still isn't shaving sharp at 19* and I will leave it that way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Probably meant 19 per side. </div></div>

Bob,

I have a wicked edge on the way and am wondering which stones/strops you got. I got the basic kit and will eventually be looking for the accessory stones.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Probably meant 19 per side. </div></div>

Bob,

I have a wicked edge on the way and am wondering which stones/strops you got. I got the basic kit and will eventually be looking for the accessory stones.

Josh </div></div>I got the basic plus the 800/1000 stones, and the 5/3.5 micron strops. That said, I am working on figuring out what to buy next, as I am trying to get an even better mirror finish. I am probably going to get the 1200/1600 ceramics and the two highest grit Choseras.

It should be noted that the edges I am getting with the stones I have are rediculously sharp and am basically chasing the perfection of a mirror edge this point. I don't expect an increase in functional sharpness.

I finally got my Wicked Edge in and played with it a bit this morning. The 800/1000 grit diamond and 1200/1600 grit ceramic I ordered are still back ordered but I did get the curved stones as well as the 14/10 micron and 5/3.5 micron strops in. Spent a few hours playing around and brought my little Strider fixed blade back to fine working order. I cut the piss out of my finger wiping the blade off.

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

See how the edge looks a tiny bit flagged (especially the bottom pic)? Zoom in on your pic and you will see a squared off section that does not meet at all...This will not feel very sharp.
    Also in the lower pic I see a section of flagged (white scratches) section to the right is more of the same thought the edge is beginning to mate.
    The two edges must come to a point or the knife wont get that sticky sharp feel.

Striders are thick edged beasts making this a bit more difficult of a knife to begin with.

To get sticky sharpness you have to get the finish to the very tip of the cutting surface.

Try this cheat:
    Apply magic marker all along the edge on both sides Let dry for a minute.
    Back out your cutting angle 1 degree and look to make sure you are removing the marker to the very edge. If they are not meeting try 2 degrees. Then go to work making sure you get it all along the blade...both sides.
    You do not need to re-cut the entire surface 1/4-2/3 will do, but the smaller surface area means you need to go with a lot less pressure on the stones and even less so on the strops.

The edge will build some serious stickiness that you don't currently have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I cut the piss out of my finger wiping the blade off.

</div></div>
    What no pix???
    grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">See how the edge looks a tiny bit flagged (especially the bottom pic)? Zoom in on your pic and you will see a squared off section that does not meet at all...This will not feel very sharp.
    Also in the lower pic I see a section of flagged (white scratches) section to the right is more of the same thought the edge is beginning to mate.
    The two edges must come to a point or the knife wont get that sticky sharp feel.

Striders are thick edged beasts making this a bit more difficult of a knife to begin with.

To get sticky sharpness you have to get the finish to the very tip of the cutting surface.

Try this cheat:
    Apply magic marker all along the edge on both sides Let dry for a minute.
    Back out your cutting angle 1 degree and look to make sure you are removing the marker to the very edge. If they are not meeting try 2 degrees. Then go to work making sure you get it all along the blade...both sides.
    You do not need to re-cut the entire surface 1/4-2/3 will do, but the smaller surface area means you need to go with a lot less pressure on the stones and even less so on the strops.

The edge will build some serious stickiness that you don't currently have. </div></div>

Thanks for the help. I used the sharpie marker trick to get the initial angle set but didn't use it along the entire length of the blade and didn't notice that the edges weren't meeting at the base of the blade. I went back at it last night and got it straightened out.

Worked on my SNG a bit this morning. Took it to 32* inclusive since that seemed to work well for others. I sill don't have the fine stones so I taped some 1500 & 2000 grit wet/dry paper to the stones I do have and polished it up a bit. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg