I need opinions on my first 260 build

Savage-10FP

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2007
Tracy, Ca
Hi Guys,
I really need some opinions.
I am looking to build my first rifle from parts. I have only had a bone stock remington action. Remington 700P. But had it in a nice AI stock which was a 308cal. I sold this. It was a right hand rifle and I am a lefty.

My goal. To be able to shoot long range. Up to 1K. I want to get involved with shooting at the steel matches,etc at ncpprc club out in Sacramento, ca.

The cal I have decided to go with is the 260.
Who do you guys recommend I buy the barrel from.
What barrel length has worked for you guys shooting a 260????

I cant afford right now to buy a custom action. I dont think I have seen one under $850
So what I was thinking about doing was buying a left hand remington 308 sps varmint for roughly 500 and have the barrel swapped. What do you guys think of going this route.

The bottom metal I am leaning towards will be Rad Tac Latch bottom metal.
The stock will be a mcmillan A5 non adjustable in gap camo.

I already have the scope,base and rings. Its a nightforce 3.5x15 mil/mil with speed turrets,mlr. Base is a badger 20moa base. Rings are burris xtreme rings-low.

I cant thiink of anything else right now. I am sure I am forgtetting something.

Brian

Re: I need opinions on my first 260 build

I would add up all the costs for truing the remington action, chambering the barrel, etc. Then you add on a $300 barrel. I think you are going to be looking at 1400+ for that alone. A barreled action from GAP with their templar action I believe is $1700. For $300 more, you get the custom action.

I would recommend talking to whoever will be doing your build and get them to price out both options for you and then make your decision.

i have been this route,i have a dam nice shooting remington but i really didnt save anything over using a custom action.

Get a custom action. Won't cost that much more. Any top barrel maker will be fine, unless you want one in a hurry. Then, check Bruno's or one of the vendors here, bugholes just listed some 6.5 barrels yesterday he had in stock, I believe. 24-26" range will do fine for matches, and choose a lighter contour like Med Palma or Rem varmint.

The least expensive way to get a Remington action is an ADL for $400. It is the model you find at the discount stores with a cheap scope on it.

Everything else will be the same. So the difference will be between the 400 for the Rem action and whatever you pay for a custom action, bottom metal and magazine (usually around 1200 but varies). Also, the custom action comes with the desirable bolt knob and it is 100 to put that on the Rem 700. So if you do that, you are are at $500 for the Rem 700 route.

The other thing is the Rem action and an AICS stock are available NOW. Only thing you will have to wait on is the rebarrel. My rebarrel took 2 months.

If you want to go custom, find a gunsmith that is familiar with custom actions and has a 260 reamer. There are a LOT of different actions out there.

The other thing is to pick your bullet so you get the chamber length you want. I went with the 140 Bergers and got a chamber that touches the lands at 2.85" and that is good with the AICS magazine max OAL of 2.88". The is a close tolerance between OAL, magazine length and chamber length. You have to balance those issues so it comes out right.

I'll throw another option out there if you aren't bent on sticking with Remington.

Savage Stevens LH .308 (sell stock/barrel $50) - $300
McGowen or PacNor barrel - $300-400
Competition Recoil Lug - $30
Action wrench - $50
Nut Wrench - $40
Timiny Trigger - $80
Choate Tactical or B&C Tactical or alike - $250
CDI Bottom metal - $300
AICS Mags - $70 each

Right about $1400 and will shoot .5 MOA with good ammo. Fun builds and don't need a smith.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll throw another option out there if you aren't bent on sticking with Remington.

Action wrench - $50
Nut Wrench - $40
Timiny Trigger - $80
CDI Bottom metal - $300
AICS Mags - $70 each

Right about $1400 and will shoot .5 MOA with good ammo. Fun builds and don't need a smith. </div></div>

Very similar to the route I just took. I couldn't be happier with the results and I did it all myself which adds a little something extra to the build.
I bought a cheap Savage with the accu-trigger and installed a 26" 1-8" twist CBI barrel, new SS barrel lug, and dropped it all in the A5 Choate with CDI bottom metal . Jim Briggs at NSS will sell you evreything you need for the rifle and Jeff at CDI Precision will help with the stock and bottom metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll throw another option out there if you aren't bent on sticking with Remington.

Action wrench - $50
Nut Wrench - $40
Timiny Trigger - $80
CDI Bottom metal - $300
AICS Mags - $70 each

Right about $1400 and will shoot .5 MOA with good ammo. Fun builds and don't need a smith. </div></div>

+1 for this route.
I picked up the Stevens 200 for $179 though.

tater

so....you want to play the game...right?

this will become an equipment race.....and from my look see at several matches in several states to include yours.....i don't see any savages in the winners circle......there ain't nothing cheap about being decent in the games played at norcal.....find someone local that will help you into this endeavor easily....

I just got a Mcgowen barrel for my Savage took exactly 6 weeks. And if you do go the Savage route don't waste money on the action wrench you don't really need it.

I decided to suck it up and spend the funds and buy a Left handed Stiller Tac30 in all black. I think it would be best to fork out the extra 300 bucks and be done with it. It will just take me a little longer then planned to finish it up but I think that will be a good starting point. If anyone has a good source for one I am ready to buy.

If you are absolutly hell bent on not buying a custom action then atleast have an action you already own trued. If your going to buy a new rifle, just for an action for around $500 why not save some more pennies and go with a custom action? The way I see it is if your going to build a rifle take the time to do it right. Every once in awhile you can find actions for sale on here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remington700-P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I decided to suck it up and spend the funds and buy a Left handed Stiller Tac30 in all black. I think it would be best to fork out the extra 300 bucks and be done with it. It will just take me a little longer then planned to finish it up but I think that will be a good starting point. If anyone has a good source for one I am ready to buy. </div></div>
This is a great start, and seller is Good to go.
SScott
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...993#Post2386993

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Remington700-P said:
I decided to suck it up and spend the funds and buy a Left handed Stiller Tac30 in all black. I think it would be best to fork out the extra 300 bucks and be done with it. It will just take me a little longer then planned to finish it up but I think that will be a good starting point. If anyone has a good source for one I am ready to buy. </div></div>
This is a great start, and seller is Good to go.
SScott
http://www

I would be all over that, But its not the tac 30 and it grey on grey, Sucks. I would have snaged it for sure.