• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes I want to scope my TRG .300 mag. Advice appreciate

sakoluvr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2010
North Carolina
I am new to long range shooting/hunting. I bought a TRG in .300 Win Mag as an alternative to getting a custom built. My primary use with this rifle will be beanfield hunting for whitetails.

I am overwhelmed when looking at scopes. I decided I want to wait and spend money on one of the big 3 brands: S&B, Swarovski or Zeiss. What I find even more overwhelming is finding a reticle that will be hunting friendly in low light, I want to spin turrets and I want to get a ranging reticle.

Right now, I am looking close at the S&B 4-16 PMII. Thinking about going with a Holland ART reticle, but worried about the possibility of close shots at dusk, and not seeing the reticle on the FFP scope.

Any inputs as far as mounts and tubes will be greatly appreciated as I continue my research.

Re: I want to scope my TRG .300 mag. Advice appreciate

http://www.nearmfg.com/

Richard Near makes the best Bases, Rings, and Mounts for the TRG. Here are some pis of his TRG Base with his Alphamount....

102_2782.jpg

102_2781.jpg

102_2775.jpg

Near does indeed make a fine product and has great customer service. As far a being the "best" I can't say but on my 22 and 42 I run 20MOA Near base with steel Badger Ord rings with PM2'S, one tough combo.

Not knocking Richard Near's product (I have his base on my TRG), but take a look at Spuhr mounts. He just did a group buy on this website and the reviews were very positive. The nice thing about his mount is that it mounts directly to the action dovetail...you don't have to buy a base.

Link

As far as optics go, anything reputable will work. If you have a laser range finder and are not planning on doing too much ranging with the reticle, you can get a second focal plane Nightforce. I personally run a US Optics. A buddy runs Premier and Nightforce. They are all solid scopes. Of course, S&B and Hensoldt are top tier optics as well. It really depends on what you are going to use it for and how much you want to spend. Do a search using the Sniper's Hide google search. It will yield tons of great information.

Sniper's Hide Google Search

Josh

Well, low-light, spinning knobs and moa moa makes me think of my buddy's Razor HD. It's illuminated, FFP and eye relief is decent enough for use on a 300 win and I haven't heard a lot of complaints about lack of durability. S&B has better glass though (and they do make a MOA MOA PM2, 4-16 and 5-25 not sure if it's ffp or not).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, low-light, spinning knobs and moa moa makes me think of my buddy's Razor HD. It's illuminated, FFP and eye relief is decent enough for use on a 300 win and I haven't heard a lot of complaints about lack of durability. S&B has better glass though (and they do make a MOA MOA PM2, 4-16 and 5-25 not sure if it's ffp or not).
</div></div>

What MOA reticle does S & B offer?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What MOA reticle does S & B offer? </div></div>

Nvm, I thought the P4 was but it doesn't look that way. My bad.

Re: I want to scope my TRG .300 mag. Advice apprec

I have to agree that Richard makes some very fine products. I use his base , rings , and break on my TRG I highly recomend them. As far as hunting and low light long range hunting in my opnion would be a S&B pmII 5-25x56 w/ the p4 fine. It has a illuminated reticle. The p4 fine is about the best all around reticle for anything. Most important the Benders are known for their low light quality. The other option is a Zeiss or the Hensoldt 6-24x72 they are designed for low light use. If you are on a budget (as most are these days) the Nightforce NXS is damn hard to beat for the price.

Hey , good luck and enjoy the TRG , if its your first you will love it and the 300WM is great round.

Had a Near (plain ol' Pic style) on my TRG42 in 338LM. It worked great. Do not waste money on the standard Sako pic rail. The Alpha mount is awesome. If you spare no expense get one.
I ran NF scope. But Hendsoldt's are top notch. A shameless plug for my friend Nathan!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are on a budget (as most are these days) the Nightforce NXS</div></div>

Nightforce = budget scope? LOL you must have more $$$ than I do!

Regardless if you go for a mount from Sako, Near or me, my recomendation is to go for a direct mount.
Can't see any reason why a perfect action such as TRG or AI should have a picatinny rail, that in worst case scenario can come loose when there is a perfect 17mm rail on it machined in one piece.
Here is a few example pictures of our solution, also with the secondary sight mounted half past one.

Regards Håkan

36006_465815554407_680984407_6430258_4652169_n.jpg

37367_465816919407_680984407_6430291_4869608_n.jpg

36006_465815539407_680984407_6430255_5002440_n.jpg

For a scope I would get the Schmidt&Bender PM II 5-25x56 with the Klein reticle. For a mount I would decide between Spuhr and and Spuhr.
A direct Spuhr mount if you don´t use any picatinny rails on any other guns. Then direct mountig is absolutely the best. If you already have any scoped guns with use a picatinny rail I would get a pic rail, probably from near and a Spuhr mount for picatinny rails. Then if a scope breaks you can easily swap scopes and find the issue. Just my opinion.

Hakan, I think I just had an affair with my computer screen after seeing your mount on the TRG. Wow. That looks like it is as solid as the receiver. No weak link there. Absolutely love the set-up with the S&B. Is that the Sniper/Marksman Sight Mount?

I went to your web page. Do you have a price list/order info someplace? OK, just saw your group-buy thread again. Sending you an email to make a catalog request. Thanks.

Will look into the Klein reticle Dan. Thanks.