• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

I'm a big fan of Owls personally...

LuckyDuck

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 4, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    1726636630774.png

Been listening to one of these guys for a few hours tonight trying to find a lady owl friend. As far as I'm concerned, I'd love for our back woods to be absolutely full of raptors and have been looking into owl/kestrel boxes I can hang in the trees there. Does anyone have any experience/success in growing a hawk/owl population in their backyard woods?

-LD

View attachment 8504518

Been listening to one of these guys for a few hours tonight trying to find a lady owl friend. As far as I'm concerned, I'd love for our back woods to be absolutely full of raptors and have been looking into owl/kestrel boxes I can hang in the trees there. Does anyone have any experience/success in growing a hawk/owl population in their backyard woods?

-LD
    My old place had a big oak out back with a breeding pair of bald eagles that nest in it.

Put up a bird feeder and enjoy the party as the doves and songbirds become hawk snacks in a giant ball of floating feathers. Especially if you have a utility pole or large tree nearby and above the feeder to make for a handy hunting perch. Owls, not so easy. You just kind of have to enjoy them where/when you see them.

Reactions: Cody S
    office owl.jpeg

This one was hanging out at my work for a while. I think it was living on the roof of the building next door. They had a lot of work going on up there and this guy came down from the roof and was sitting on the fence. I guess they called animal control and the guy tried to capture it with a net. He failed and the owl barely flew away and now I get to see it often. No fear of me when I get close to take pics with my phone. It's cool to see how bright their eyes are in low light. The pic doesn't do it justice.

Last edited:
    View attachment 8504518

-LD

Night hunting this summer I was standing beside my truck bed, with shoulders and head sticking up higher than the bed. I was just there scanning with the Therm. for some dogs for maybe 20 minutes. I had an Owl swoop my head so close, I was glad to be wearing a helmet, Owl was so close that I even heard it make a 'weird' soft little muffled vocal in my ear.

If you do want to attract them near your home just make sure if you have kids they don't have any smaller pets left outside after dark.
    We're we lived when I was in high school we had a great horned owl that was around fairly ofter.
    There was an area light on the telephone pole in the back yard outside my window and my brother's Bob tailed Manx cat was out chasing bugs one night and I heard start screaming.
    When I looked out the window I saw that big ass owl on top of it killing it and fly off with it.
    Also always had barn owls in the equipment barns since there were always pigeons in and around them.

Dude....you always have the most off the wall topics.

My ex step-son had some ADHD issues, but was generally just an a-hole. Anyway, one time he went to stay at his dad's house and he bought some owls from a garage sale. He was maybe 11-12 years old. They were porcelain and had white round the eyes just like all the pictures above. He must have gotten 12 of them. He was so thrilled and excited. Talked about the stupid owls all night, almost giving his sister shit, because they didn't have any owls. These were like the ones you would see in your grandma's hutch. He placed those things all over in his bedroom. Whatever, do what you want. On the dresser, night stands, window sills, etc.

His bedroom was on the side of the house facing the road, so he got a little bit of light through his window at night. I went in Monday morning to get him up for school. All of those owls were turned 180 degrees away from his bed. I guess those owls staring him in the face in the dark, got the better of him.

He would get home before me, and when I got home I went back to ask him about the owls, just to kind of give him shit. I walked in and all the owls were gone. I couldn't say shit, I just turned around and chuckled to myself for 30 minutes. Just writing this, I'm laughing. None ofus heard about, or ever seen those owls again.

I don't mind owls around the place, they take care of mice and other undesirables
    They are hard on little cats though, not so cool.
    I see allot on the highway at night swooping down for kangaroo rats in my headlights
    I have bounced them off the Herd, fenders and even windshield
    Sometimes they don't bounce.
    IMG_20151229_195031839.jpg

• Wow
    Reactions: LuckyDuck

-LD
    Get some yard chickens and don't put them in a coupe at night and you will get the big owls. All sizes of them are periodically around my barns for mice. Also if you really want some raptors raise rabbits and turn a few loose at a time. The small and large hawks will show up.

About 18 months ago I was out spotlighting possums late one night. I was looking through some trees and a large moth flew at the light.

A morepork (an NZ owl which makes a call like "more pork" ) came out of nowhere and took the moth about ten feet from my face. It was quite cool and unexpected.

There are heaps where I shoot possums, but they are normally only heard and rarely seen. There's (at least) one near my house in the suburbs. I often hear it at night.

View attachment 8504668

This one was hanging out at my work for a while. I think it was living on the roof of the building next door. They had a lot of work going on up there and this guy came down from the roof and was sitting on the fence. I guess they called animal control and the guy tried to capture it with a net. He failed and the owl barely flew away and now I get to see it often. No fear of me when I get close to take pics with my phone. It's cool to see how bright their eyes are in low light. The pic doesn't do it justice.

Animal control around here knows not to mess with wildlife and wildlife management (DNR) would tell you to leave it alone if you called about it.

We lived down a canyon on a dirt road in Utah when I was a teen, and one evening after sunset my mom and I were driving down the road, and we came upon a large owl sitting in the middle of the road on top of a rabbit. We stopped and watched it in the headlight beams until it decided to fly off with its kill.

The owl was huge. It had to have stood at least three feet tall, or it seemed that large, looking back through my memory banks. This was roughly 35 years ago.

Man, I haven't thought of that in years.

There's one in the woods on my property that my wife and I can sometimes hear at night while we're laying in bed.

We have a big dead maple tree at the edge of the woods with a perfect owl hole in it. For years we would look to see if there was ever an owl there and nothing. Then one day my wife looked out the window and spotted this one. She named it McHootlemuggins. Stayed there for two weeks then left. Came back one more time and we haven't seen another owl since then. Was awesome to look out the window and see it there every day while it lasted.

No idea how to attract or keep them there but we do hear them quite often out in the woods. Rarely see them though.

IMG_5357.jpeg

IMG_5347.jpeg

View attachment 8504668

Great Horned, also known as the flying wolf. Can and do prey on adult wild turkeys. Can knock a turkey off of its roost perch and ride it to the ground. If one finds a turkey carcass with only the head and neck area eaten, it’s undoubtedly a horned owl kill.

I have had a couple bounce or skim off the roof/windshield of my truck at night. Usually the all white ones for some reason. I am not sure what type they are. I hate it when it happens. I respect birds of prey. I do not like Cormorants and other trash birds.
    Animal control around here knows not to mess with wildlife and wildlife management (DNR) would tell you to leave it alone if you called about it.
    Yeah I told the guy to leave it alone. Of course he walked up and took pics with his phone before trying to net it. I asked him what was he going to do with it if he captured it. "I will release it somewhere else to find a new hunting ground". I just shook my head and told him he was an idiot. Near my office there are several open fields and old orange orchards. Plenty of hunting space for it. There are all sorts of hawks and falcons around here working the area. Once in a while we will see a pair golden eagles high up circling. Usually a few times per year.

There are several birds of prey around here. I have a couple of falcons around my house that like to take down smaller birds and sometimes fat doves. They are cool to watch come in at speed and crash into the trees to grab those annoying birds that make noise all night. I can't remember if they are prairie or merlin falcons. Where I grew up there were Peregrines that hunted some sports fields. Pretty cool to see those things diving at crazy speeds.