• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Impulse purchases that just worked out better than expected.

LuckyDuck

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 4, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I'm usually pretty careful with how I spend our money but I'm also guilty of have the few impulse purchases here and then despite trying to be careful. Sometimes it works out, usually it's a waste of money. But for those rare instances where impromptu purchases far exceed expectations, figured we'd start a thread to talk about them.

I'll start it off, a couple of months ago, we were at a popular membership club and ran across some pots and pans that were a little bit different than the standard teflon coated options, dang if they weren't the best pots & pans I ever used. We even went back to buy another set for my Bride's sister as a home warming gift because they were that impressive.

Any other similar experiences?

-LD

Garmin forerunner watch for 50% off in a flash deal. Didn't need it. Definitely not much of a runner.

Ended up liking it so much that it's my daily.

Last edited:
    Reactions: LuckyDuck
    True story.....in my early 20s, I once bought one of those little pocket vibrators for a gf. I thought it would be entertaining to use during sex. Anyway I poked that little fella up there and followed behind it. Much to my surprise and hers, those thing keep traveling into the abyss unless tethered.

At the time we were both freaking out about how to get that sucker out. I was playing it cool as tears started flowing from her. She was bearing down like a woman giving birth.

Anyway, after about shitting herself pushing, she laid down to catch her breath, and the little guy made his way out.

No way will I ever forget that! Best $19.99 I ever spent.

There is more to the story which makes it even more entertaining, but Im trying to become a better person as I get older, so I will just stop there.

I'm usually pretty careful with how I spend our money but I'm also guilty of have the few impulse purchases here and then despite trying to be careful. Sometimes it works out, usually it's a waste of money. But for those rare instances where impromptu purchases far exceed expectations, figured we'd start a thread to talk about them.

I'll start it off, a couple of months ago, we were at a popular membership club and ran across some pots and pans that were a little bit different than the standard teflon coated options, dang if they weren't the best pots & pans I ever used. We even went back to buy another set for my Bride's sister as a home warming gift because they were that impressive.

Any other similar experiences?

-LD
    Must have been recently. I think I know the set. It looked interesting. Coated, but with a square pattern in it? Calphalon I think it was.

Some Colt 727 (demilled lower receiver) kits were released not too long ago. APEX, Atlantic, Clyde and I am sure others had some. Pictures ranged from looking not bad to some looking like hammered crap from a tropical warehouse (APEX had some photos listed that looked ROUGH). These were complete kits, to include the cut-in-half lower receiver bits.

Total impulse buy, and I was not exactly in a good position to spend that kind of money. At the time, there were some online discussions, many noting that newer parts could be purchased to piece together a 'close enough' clone if so desired (lots of Blood Diamond and Blackhawk Down clone rifles). Anyways, I impulse bought one of the Atlantic kits. Could not be happier. Such a neat collection of old Colt parts (the 727 is a COTS M16A2 Carbine) that is neat from a retro collector Colt nerd perspective, and turned out to be a very handy and nostalgic kit for someone who carried the (full size) M16A2 many years ago. One of those where it is fun to imagine what stories it could tell, from beginning to eventual police department inventory, to demill and release to the market. It's my favorite, warts and all.

Reactions: LuckyDuck
    I was looking at the local online auction a couple months ago and a Lincoln dual Flex feed 84 popped up. I didn’t have time to go look at it, but ended up impulse buying it, not having much of a clue what the hell it was, but it looked cool. Anyway, I picked it up for $280 (plus the 10%fee and tax). Dropped it off at the dealer/ service center for a check up and it came out with a clean bill of health. I ship it out on Monday to its new owner after I cash the $2250 check they wrote for it. :p Happy purchase.

I was looking at the local online auction a couple months ago and a Lincoln dual Flex feed 84 popped up. I didn’t have time to go look at it, but ended up impulse buying it, not having much of a clue what the hell it was, but it looked cool. Anyway, I picked it up for $280 (plus the 10%fee and tax). Dropped it off at the dealer/ service center for a check up and it came out with a clean bill of health. I ship it out on Monday to its new owner after I cash the $3250 check they wrote for it. :p Happy purchase.
    Sounds like you made out quite well on that deal.

-LD

Reactions: JJMoody
    Impulse bought a month before Covid hit the supply chain March 2020. They expected the C8 mid engine models to come in, so they were blowing these 2019 C7 models (7 speed manual) out for 8K below MSRP + 0% for 84 months. C8s took forever to come in, and then apparently they are having some transmission problems? (don't quote me on that). All I know is I've had the car for 4 + years, and the resale value (retail) is not terribly lower than the $49.9 I paid for it.

IMG_9847.jpeg

Last edited:
    Oh a few. 60" snapon box with wrenches, pry bar, wobbly impacts and a few small impacts for 350.

Couple machine guns for half of what only one(the cheaper one) is worth.

A house that i bought sight unseen, sold later and paid for my current homenwith cash.

Some 556 855 ammo for $200 per 1k that 6 months later sold fpr 1200 per 1k to a dealer(who i am sure doubled his money).

A quad that i paid 800 for and sold 2 years later for 3200.

I have more, i am very lucky, but i will never win at gambling. As i see it, its an excellent trade off.

Reactions: IowaPlinker
    True story.....in my early 20s, I once bought one of those little pocket vibrators for a gf. I thought it would be entertaining to use during sex. Anyway I poked that little fella up there and followed behind it. Much to my surprise and hers, those thing keep traveling into the abyss unless tethered.

At the time we were both freaking out about how to get that sucker out. I was playing it cool as tears started flowing from her. She was bearing down like a woman giving birth.

Anyway, after about shitting herself pushing, she laid down to catch her breath, and the little guy made his way out.

No way will I ever forget that! Best $19.99 I ever spent.

There is more to the story which makes it even more entertaining, but Im trying to become a better person as I get older, so I will just stop there.

Pics or it didn’t happen.

P

Reactions: 458win
    Mini PCs have become super popular in the nerd world. Last year I broke down and bought one for $200 to mainly use it for emulating retro video games. Well, it has become my main PC for internet and I love it!

Impulse bought a month before Covid hit the supply chain March 2020. They expected the C8 mid engine models to come in, so they were blowing these 2019 C7 models (7 speed manual) out for 8K below MSRP + 0% for 84 months. C8s took forever to come in, and then apparently they are having some transmission problems? (don't quote me on that). All I know is I've had the car for 4 + years, and the resale value (retail) is not terribly lower than the $49.9 I paid for it.

View attachment 8499836
    I impulsed a 2011 C6 off the showroom floor. Spotted it when I dropped my truck off for service, and the salesman was the friend of a friend. He said he was tired of looking at it, and the 2012s were moving in so this one would be relegated to the parking lot soon
    DSCN0971 - Copy.jpeg

Chibson guitar. Its a chinese forgery of a Gibson guitar. Gibsons are $3k on up, older ones like 1959 reissues are around $5-6k on up.. I found one on ebay for $100. said what the hell.. They need a little tlc and setup and few minor parts replaced but compared to my real $3k one I like it better and it has the more 50's feel and thickness to it.. Worked out so well I bought 2 more. 3rd one just showed up today. Kind of like an AR15 I guess, you can have a really nice high end one that isnt an Armalite/Colt.
    Anyway i am still giggling like a school girl how nice of forgeries they are for how cheap and glad my first impulse buy was worth it.
    IMG_8417.JPG

My most recent for me was two pieces... of art if you can believe it. Even 10 years ago if you would have told me I'd spend more on a single painting than I would on my latest gun focus, I'd have called you crazy but... here I am. Married now, homeowner now, my impulse purchases are diminishing to life 'responsibilities' anymore.

Truth be told, I had a good run up until recently. I need to keep the wife happy and the new house furnished for a little bit but hopefully I can go back to random splurges.

-LD

Reactions: Jsp556