• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Intro to Barbeque, or barbeque for newbs

Switchblade

muf kin poser
Minuteman
It has been brought to my attention that many of oyu do not know exactly how to barbeque a piece of meat in the traditional smoking method as done here in the USA. Since I am a bit of a dillitante myself, I figured I would place what I have learned here and share my experience.

Rub. Says it all. It's your special blend of spices that go onto the meat the night before. It has a few required components to work right. It needs flavor(pepper, paprika, cayenne, onion, chili), enhancement(salt, celery salt, seasoning salt), and sweetness to help make for a good bark(sugar, brown sugar, maple sugar). This rub goes onto the meat the night before so it can do what it does, that is, add flavor.
Brisketrubbed.jpg

You will need a smoker. This can be a DIY affair as seen in the 'Smokin'' thread(job very well done), a simple inexpensive commercial model as seen at Lowe's, Home Depot, or Walmart with a fire box, and a smoke box, or you can locate a Landmann, or Brinkmann which is made of heavy duty steel, right here in the USA as seen here:

readytosmoke.jpg

When you get your box, make sure you get some good natural charcoal. It burns hotter, longer, and cleaner that briquets. To insure a good fire, use a chimney lighter. It works well, is simple and easy to use. If you sprinkle a little salad oil on the newspaper in the chimney, it burns better to insure better lighting of your charcoal base. You will want chunks(4x4) of Hickory, Oak, Apple, Cherry, Maple, Mesquite woods.
Mesquite is sharp flavored, Hickory a little mellower. Oak is very melow, and cherry, maple, and apple woods offer a very light flavored, sweet smoke.

Now it's time to get going. You have a solid fire, your wood chunks are on the coals, and it's time to do it up.

intothebox.jpg

Good steady temperatures of 200* - 250* is what you want for low and slow cooking of your beef, pork, ribs, or chicken. You want a good amount of smoke coming through your box. The outside should look nice and smoky.

210perfect.jpg

smokin.jpg

At this time, after you have your meat in the smoker, you may want to smoke your beans for a couple hourse before putting htem into the oven to bake at a higher temperature.

smokinbeans.jpg

Now you know your 'Panty 6' has an egg timer somewhere. Hijack it and set it for 45 minutes. When it goes off, reset it, and mop your meat, check your smoke wood(add if needed), and go back to what you were doing(usually enjoying a nice pour and a cigar).

After about 4 hours on a brisket or pork butt, you will wrap it in fpoil to finish it off for the next two to four hours. This will give the meat a good bark as well as help it to retain moisture.

moppedready.jpg

wrapped.jpg

Continued in the next post. 8 pics per post limit.

Re: Intro to Barbeque, or barbeque for newbs

After your meat is finally finished, you need to let it rest for ten minutes before slicing, shredding, or cutting. This helps to keep the juices inside for a nice moist barbeque.

sliced.jpg

Now that your meat is ready to serve, you can remove the beans form the oven. A simple, easy corn recipe can be found on

http://www.goinglocal-info.com/files/winter-sweet-corn.pdf

So you have it on the plate, ready to eat, and your mouth is watering. A cold beer, sweet tean and lemonade, a good Zinfandel, or a bourbon with tonic and lemon goes well.
Enjoy your hard work. Remember, when you do this, it's fun. You are not working, you are enjoying the day!

YUM.jpg

Looks awesome man!

Are you going to define/explain the 'finishing sauce'? That would cap it all off, well.

I'm going to do some googling on the "natural charcoal" as opposed to "briquettes".

I typically catch the "On the Grill" radio show on Saturday while at work, or when doing chores. I've learned a lot from having listened the last couple years.

But I just learned a whole bunch more in two excellent posts!

Thanks James

heh heh, roscoe, I got Panty 6 and No2 here so I have to make sure they get theors first, and No2 has first call on seconds.

Finishing sauce:
It is the basic barbeque sauce you can find or make from scratch.
On the beef we had some Sweet Baby Ray's because the kids wanted it. Normally we get some really good Jalapeno Finishing Sauce from up north, or make our own.

Tomato/vinegar based sauce:
Tomato Sauce
Rub spice
Bufalo Chipotle 'HOT' sauce
Liquid Smoke
Apple Cider Vinegar
Maple and Brown Sugars
Molasses
Dried Chilis
Espresso
stuff

http://firegirl.com/1293-02.html This 'Origanl Finishing Sauce is the stuff! It's been a family favorite since we were introduced to it in Indiana at a big giant party where I enjoyed some killer smoked food, my first Walkaround, and many a fine cigar. The highlight of that day was dining across from the late Rene Deforneaux who was only too kind to tell this 'young warrior' many of his tales from WWII and beyond

Great post Switch.

That finishing sauce you posted is my absolute favorite. The guy who owns the sauce company is a local fireman who grows acres of peppers. If someone wants a really hot hot sauce, I recommend the Stupid Sauce. The name is totally appropriate

Enjoy your smokin summer folks

One of my favorite things about summertime is all the different crap I get to put on the grill! I don't use a smoker, I leave that up to the GF's dad, but there isn't much I can't grill. Looks f'in delicious Switch. I'm always looking out for different concoctions for the grill Switch, if you have something that is really killer you don't mind sharing, shoot me a PM lol. Enjoy that great meal.

Kelly

Very similar to my method. I usually do the rub, and let the pork shoulder sit wrapped in it for 2-3 days, then will run 3 dhoulders on the smoker at 180-200 for 18-20 hours. The sop sauce that I use uses Cider Vinegar, Mustard, Honey, Butter, onion, Red pepper and a few other odds and ends. I've got at least 8 more of them to do this summer.

Bravo Switch. I have a Brisket that is going in the UDS on Monday or Tuesday. My folks are coming out for a visit and I can't deprive them. Great tutorial and I'll surely be adding some of the other fruit woods to my need to buy list.

Josh

Woods for smoking:

Mesquite - The sharpest flavored wood, lends a very sharp smokiness and can easily be overdone if used...go light with it

Hickory - Now I can already hear texas yelling at me, but her it is. Not as sharp as Mesquite, but adds a noticable bitterness if overused, go light with it over time and you wil be happy

Oak - Mellow and good. Your typical base for smoking meat

Maple, Pecan, Apple, Cherry, Pear, Peach, Apricot, Plum
All offer the mellowest smoke with great sweetness

For a good mix that wors very well fr me I typically go:
25% Hickory or Mesquite
50% Oak
25% Fruitwood

This has been my smoking experiement for some time, trying the different mix to get a nice smoky flavor to teh meat, but lose the bitterness found with straight hickory or mesquite that had plagued me for years. Shoot, I heard hickory, mesquite and drove the hell on. Meat tasted bitter, like a old fireplace or chimney but dammit we was barbequin!

The perfect smoke is done over time, we know this. I also know that too much is too much. IF you use straight hickory or mesquite use it lightly so you do not get a huge heavy smoke with it, but a more wispy lighter smoke. This is what will keep your hickory base or mesquite base mellow and not bitter

Nice!!!

I've found all the equipment locally and sure will try it this summer. Now i'm off to parents house for something similar (tbones and chicken drums
smile.gif
).

Btw if anyone cares there is also a good recipe for beans (serbian recipe originally maybe brought ages ago by turks rampaging through Balkans..)

You need:

pound of beans (white sort)
3 pounds of onions
a bit of finely chopped garlic or dry variety
2 fresh paprikas (you can skip it if you don't like)
half a pound of fresh or canned tomatoes (remove skin if bothered by it or just use preskinned)
a little oil (olive preffered)
pepper
salt
1 laurel leaf
chili or hot peppers - depends on your taste but we don't like sweetnes of chili so we usually use either hot paprika or peppers
---So far the original (which needs improving to bring it to mans standards with mans best friend...pig)

add smoked ribs or "hamburger" - here we call fat and meat from ribs which is lightly smoked, smoked sausages or anything salty, smoked and made of pig meat - DON'T exaggerate (half a pound is max) and cut to fine pieces

Preparation:

Cook beans to soften it up (don't overcook and save the water from cooking). Cut onions to stripes, not to thinly and fry until onions get glassy, add garlic, smoked meat and fry for few minutes,add paprika,tomatoes, spices, beans and cook for 20 minutes, if too thick add a bit of water that you saved. Mixture should be rather thick and barely running.
Now pour mixture into ceramic (preffered but any cookware for use in an oven will do) bowl and bake in oven 380-400°F for an hour or until you get hard skin over it. However better to use a BBQ device which bakes from below and above on charcoal (a metal cover over bowl and charcoal put over it).

Pics: Pics

Baking device pics:

Baking device - sac

Here is a basic construct for a rub. Remember this is for BBQ (low heat 225-275 over a longer period of time) not grilling. The sugar content is high and if used over high heat will scorch your meat.
Shit in shit out. If you want good results fresh spices are the way to go.

Basic Rub:

Equal parts of sugar and salt 1 cup each. Sugar of choice is turbinado. Cane will work. If you choose to use brown dry it out before mixing into your rub or it will clump. I leave mine on a baking sheet in the sun for a bit.
Equal amount of salt. Now here you can be creative, you can use white or seasoned or both, onion celery etc. Equal to the amt of sugar you started with.
Paprika, also for color, I usually use about 1/2 -3/4 cup here. Sams or similar will sell this in the larger container.
I use 1/3 to 1/2 c pepper here. I like the restraunt style pepper, it is a bit bigger and looks better in the rub.

2 tbs chili powder is pretty standard for me here

Now here is where you get to start designing your rub. Start with 2 tbs each of your signature spice. Choose spices that compliment each other. Garlic powder, onion powder etc. The 2 spices you use are your choice and every cut of meat you put them on will change the flavor. After a burn or two you will get an idea of what you like and can add subtract spices to your pallet as you choose.

Last is Cayenne. I like just a tsp to start. Just enough for a little zip. It is easy to add too much heat and then you loose some of the complexity of the smoke, fat and spices. Be judicious with the addition of heat at first till you find out what works for your rub.

Soon you will have your personal rub that you can impress the neighborhood with.
Hope this helps.

On a side bar note to Switch's wood selections NEVER PINE OR CONIFEROUS WOODS! Only hard woods. If it produces a fruit or nut you are usually good with your selection. Pine released antigens that most folks will react badly to.
Walnut being the exception, it is very bitter, but does a good job grilling steaks. Nothing will screw your pit up faster than Quing with Green mesquite. Produces a foul creasote that you will never be able to remove from your pit seasoning.

I guess that just grilling on a Weber has become my forte. I have been interested in getting a smoker, since my ex-grandpa-in-law used to pecan smoke his own sausage and meat. Another hobby to pass while enjoying the days off.

Good info, Switch.

Good post UMC80. Thanks for the site
A whole packet brisket is the way to go if you can find one. I check local mexican groceries and have found there.

Just cook em long and slow and you are g2g.

Never thought to finish it in foil wrap looks like a good idea. I just did a boston butt the other weekend and injected it thoroughly with plain old apple juice then rubbed it down heavy and let it sit for 24 hrs in the fridge. I put it out to smoke at about 225 degrees for 7 hours with applewood smoke and basted with apple juice as it dried out. Very, very mild flavoring and juicy to the bone. Will have to try mixing up the applewood with a little mesquite here in a while when my ribs go on. Great tips guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good post UMC80. Thanks for the site
A whole packet brisket is the way to go if you can find one. I check local mexican groceries and have found there.

Just cook em long and slow and you are g2g.</div></div>

just look for 'choice' grade or better. Most grocery stores only carry select, which aren't as good

As for using Mesquite. If you use the Mesquite lump charcoal it will provide just enough smoke to really get the flavor in there without over doing it. I've been hit or miss on Hickory the last batch I did with it got a metalic taste to it. Another wood I do like is Alder. Good flavorful smoke that can be used as heavy as you like without screwing things up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmc80</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good post UMC80. Thanks for the site

Just cook em long and slow and you are g2g.</div></div>

just look for 'choice' grade or better. Most grocery stores only carry select, which aren't as good </div></div>

I read the whole link and saved it? Thanks USMC80.

I buy the packet brisket at Sam's club usually ranging from 8 lbs to as much as 12. Not sure of the grade it is but their meats are all pretty damn good and I haven't had a bad one yet.

I have never done any serious smoking and want to learn. In the mean time however I have been using indirect heat on the gas grill for a couple years now (learned from the "On the Grill" radio show mentioned earlier) and have found a groove both with Ribs and Brisket as well as chicken and Pork. I usually work in the 275 -300 degree range and add various hard wood to the hot side for smoke.

A 10 lb Brisket usually takes 8-10 hours, the last hour wrapped in foil, once I see it's hit 190 Degrees in the heart of the point (thickest part). After that it can stand in the foil under a towel in an insulated cooler, or the oven, until people are ready to eat.

We usually like it shredded in our house so it can't be rushed.

If smoking is outside your current capabilities, indirect heat is a great way to go.

The link provided by USMC80 covers it pretty well. Also Tony "Fatso" Siciliano, here in Tampa is host of the radio show I mentioned and has a great website with "how to" tips and great recipes and methods for Smoking, Grilling and Bar-B-Que.

When smoking with hardwoods I always leave the exhaust wide open and control the temp with the intake. It is very important that the fire burns clean, nothing will ruin a chunk o meat faster than dirty smoke. I also let the meat come close to room temp before tossing it on the pit. A 10lb brisket that is cold may cause the smoke to condense on the meat, this will give it a bitter taste and may ruin your Q.

That looks great sir. Have you ever tried using a baste? (we call it sop down here) If you ever want to try it, we use this one:
Italin dressing
one large onion, finely chopped
LITTLE butter
salt
pepper
garlic
handful or so brown sugar
one can of whole beer(Pearl beer works the best)
one lemon, squeeze it in and then throw the rest in too
bring it to a boil, and then put it on the meat before and after you flip it. I got this recipe from my Dad and it works on just about anything, especially meat seasoned with lemonpepper.
That meat you cooked looks awesome!!

dar dar,
I used a mop(sop, wet down, whatever the local name is) made with a beer, some rub, orange zest, cider vinegar, brown sugar, maple sugar, apple juice and bourbon

If I am doing a chicken I switch to orange zest and oranges and no maple sugar

I have dried peppers and chipotes so I may experiment with that as well to add a little more dimension to my flavor base

Between this link, and the link usmc80 posted anyone should be able to go out and get busy smoking meat. If you get a cheap que at Lowe's, Wally world, or Home D, it will last 5 - 10 years but you will be smoking meat. If you got coin to lay out for one of the Brinkmann or Landmann Professional models, you will be smoking mreat until you have grandkids or will hand it down to your kids if it's properly maintained.
I strongly encourage everyone who knows what they are doing to post here. For all concerned, from here on out, SCHOOL is in SESSION! I got a mean hunger for ribs myself and theyre is another pork butt in the freezer

I love hearing about the differing methods for cooking meats. I am always game to try new ways

Maybe we should atart another thread on proper technique for cooking steaks. I have been working on the perfecting steak preperation for years!

Steaks are an art in themselves. With varying thicknesses, cuts, and requests from 'Blue' to 'Shoe Leather' it's not only about time and temperature, it's about the dry age, spice mix, or simplicity.
Since we all like our's from blue to medium rare, it's an easy thing.
Good hot fire, lump charcoal, grey with flame, nice and hot.
Meat is taken out wrapped in paper towel, placed on a rack, and left to sit in the fridge all day to dry a bit. No BS, just plain red alea, or Hawaiian Salt. Red Alea is Hawaiian Sea Salt that has been picked on the rocks of the ocean then rubbed with red clay from the Hawaiian soil. It gives a nice buttery taste to a good steak and just makes the flavor really come out.
Sam always requests blue, Me an Panty 6 go rare and that other kid Torin always wants medium... Bubba is strange. He was born in that big hospital in Bragg so they musta done something different that they don't do in Hawaii to that one. Medium cooked meat, Eeech!
My favorite movie line ever? "We likes it RAW!"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess that just grilling on a Weber has become my forte. I have been interested in getting a smoker, since my ex-grandpa-in-law used to pecan smoke his own sausage and meat. Another hobby to pass while enjoying the days off.

Good info, Switch.</div></div>

It is possible to smoke on one of those charcoal weber kettle grills, you just have to use indirect heat. My dads charcoal grill was looking pretty shabby so I picked him up a weber kettle grill for his bday and while I was looking in the grill isle I saw these charcoal "baskets" (can't remember what the box called them?) also made by weber that allow you to move the heat where you want it rather than having just a pile of coal in the bottom of the grill. A few weeks ago we used them to smoke some ribs, put the baskets at the edge and the slabs down the middle, we seered them first to lock in the moisture then to the middle. After about 2 hours of indirect heat 200-250 degrees, we wrap in foil with a liberal amount of basting concoction and drink beer until we can't take it any longer. When we opened up the foil, I grabbed one of the rib bones and was going to give it the taste test but the rib pulled out clean.......so tender the meat wouldn't even stick to the bone. They were great! We used pecan and cherry wood since that is what we had on hand, soak the wood in warm water before putting it over the coals and it will be a more mellow smoke. This thread has me wanting to do a shoulder, when I do I'll take some pictures and post'm here.

Switchblade that is a good post and very informative. I'm definitely a newb when it comes to barbeque and smoking meat.

My brother, however, is pretty good but he was raised and still resides in Mississippi so I am behind when it comes to this. Maybe I can get a leg up on him with the information here. Haha. Thanks for the post bro.

Im thinking it was his Q finishing sauce not A-1. He listed it above.

Finishing sauce:
It is the basic barbeque sauce you can find or make from scratch.
On the beef we had some Sweet Baby Ray's because the kids wanted it. Normally we get some really good Jalapeno Finishing Sauce from up north, or make our own.

Tomato/vinegar based sauce:
Tomato Sauce
Rub spice
Bufalo Chipotle 'HOT' sauce
Liquid Smoke
Apple Cider Vinegar
Maple and Brown Sugars
Molasses
Dried Chilis
Espresso
stuff

We do have a former Memphis in May world champion that frequents this site. I have been on his cooking team a couple of times. The best ribs to ever hit a plate. Maybe he will chime in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: unforgiven826</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go through all of that to cook a good piece of meat then fuck it up by putting A-1 sauce on it. Is it so bad that you the expert on every thing has to mask it's flavor? </div></div>

Check yourself. The kids asked for Sweet Baby Ray's Barbeque Sauce because it has been blind taste tested with several other 'off the shelf' sauces. We make a lot of our own stuff from scratch ingredients and use some off the shelf hot sauces or dried chili's for our own home made barbeque sauce. The family favorite, however, is the Original Finishing Sauce posted back a bit.
The sauce in the picture of the plate is Sam's plate with the Sweet Baby Ray's on the meat. You want good barbeque, get out there and do it then post your pics.
As to expert status, go look up the word dilitante and get back to me as I self described myself. I'm just a guy who did his job for the country, got done with it, adn loves to cook all kinds of food and shoot once in a while or get out into the wind on a Harley.
Shoot, get out and enjoy the day, cook some rightious chow, and enjoy the sun!
grin.gif

Hey newb...no A-1 used by Switch or his son. They know good sauce and Que. Why do you want to dump on a great thread. Just who in the hell do you think you are.

Let's see of pics of what you can cook. Switch is for real...now let's see what you are made of.