• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Intro to Barbeque, or barbeque for newbs

Re: Intro to Barbeque, or barbeque for newbs

This is the best recipe I have tried for Mustard sauce. Been using it for awhile and even people that don't care that musch for mustard like it.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 17pt">Mustard BBQ Sauce for Pork</span></span>

Mustard Sauce

3/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup Dill pickle juice
1/2 cup sugar (I use raw sugar)
2 tbs butter
2 tsp salt
1 tbs worcestershire sauce
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp bbq rub
1.5 tbs hot sauce

<span style="font-weight: bold">Optional:</span> 1/4 C grape Nehi instead of the pickle juice, gives it a different flavor, kids love it!

Combine all ingredients in saucepan and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. Let cool to room temperature before using. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 month.

With the help of you guys, I have finally achieved tender, juicy, fall off the bone rib wisdom
wink.gif
. I got a late start yesterday, but got them smoked up for about 2 hrs in some applewood, then put the coals to her and cooked them in apple juice for another 2.5hrs while wrapped tightly in foil. You couldn't pick them up with the tongs they were so tender. I had to shovel them onto the plate. I topped them off with some Jack Daniels BBQ sauce. I tried to get pictures, but either the camera, or me made them blurry. Come to think of it, everything was kinda blurry after 4 Bloody Mary's and about 12-15 beers in Clamato juice and sea salt on an empty stomach. Now that I know how to get them tender and juicy, it's time to experiment with some of these rubs, sauces, and mops you guys are posting.

Pigfest 2010: Over the 4th we (mainly my old man and buddy) cooked up our first whole pig. It weighed 130lbs, prepped for the cooker. This one did not have the skin on, as the butcher was not set up for that. Next year we're going to figure out how to boil her up, and keep the skin on.

It was injected with a homemade creole garlic butter and basted with the same concoction. Cook time was approx 9 hours, or about an 18 pack and a half dozen Morgan/Diets. I think it turned out pretty damn good for our first run.

We borrowed a propane rotissere cooker from a friend.

Good times and good eats.

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

Get a couple big gas burners and a water trough to go on it. Fill it with water enough to let teh pig soak for five minutes or so as the water boils. This lets the hair be removed easier, stripped with a thick rubber grippy glove by hand and hot as you can stand water, then cool it with cold water and cook away, skin on. Same priciple for chickens and birds

Just got back from a week's vacation in TN. The house we rented had a nice Weber and my wife brought along a pork loin so I figured I'd try smoking on the Weber. I used to have a Weber and loved it but bought something bigger when it needed replacing, I never tried smoking on the Weber when I had it but it seems to work pretty well.
IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

Rubbed it the night before with cajun seasoning then smoked it over hickory and sprayed with apple juice whenever the lid was raised. It didn't dry out as much as I feared it would and everyone loved it. The pics are of the half I sliced, the other half was shredded. Around 5 hours of smoke and a couple more in the oven.

If you've got a Weber, it'll work just fine.

Boy, if we can keep up all the Barbeque stuff, we MIGHT beat Jack's(Mega...) 'Forum Length Thread'
grin.gif

I need to go restock my supplies. That last Brisket killed all my charcoal and wood, however, Friday night I found 3.5# of Tri Tip so we used the Char Broil Gas Grill to put some heat on it after a nice few pinches of Red Alea Hawaiian Salt on it.
All I can say is between four people, all 3.5# was gone in one meal with some sticky rice, Aloha Shoyu, and Broccolli.
The meat is probably the best cut ever for outright flavor to ever hit a grill. NO PEPPER, just plain Hawaiian Sea Salt and maybe 3 - 4 minutes, 1/4 turn, 3-4 minutes, flip it, 3 - 4 minutes, 1/4 turn 3 - 4 minutes and done deal. The meat is so tender with a nice grilled outside and I swear it tastes like it was cooked in butter. Man it's so good. I am going to hit up the place on MOnday and see if I can get the entire case if they have one. Put a little away for Fall and Winter. Bust one out every couple weeks or so...mmmmmmmmmmm, Tri Tip!

Regarding the whole pig (it look a bit burned on the pics?) try a suckling pig its much more tender (best whole animal is goat - same age as suckling pig dunno the english word for it, second comes lamb and third pig...) and easier to prepare. We use same method as Switch said to remove hairs and we either use knife or specialty scrapers. Gas burners might not be best for whole animal roasting as you need indirect heat and with gas its hard to evenly spread the heat (tends to be too hot). Still getting hungry by the minute (yesterday i used gas grill with vulcano rocks - don't have a garden here as we usually bbq at my parents house - and it just plainly sucks if it aint charcoal it aint bbq - will try to mix some coals between the rocks if it helps) these threads should have a warning put as one can put some weight on reading to many pictures
smile.gif
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got back from a week's vacation in TN. The house we rented had a nice Weber and my wife brought along a pork loin so I figured I'd try smoking on the Weber. I used to have a Weber and loved it but bought something bigger when it needed replacing, I never tried smoking on the Weber when I had it but it seems to work pretty well.
IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

Rubbed it the night before with cajun seasoning then smoked it over hickory and sprayed with apple juice whenever the lid was raised. It didn't dry out as much as I feared it would and everyone loved it. The pics are of the half I sliced, the other half was shredded. Around 5 hours of smoke and a couple more in the oven.

If you've got a Weber, it'll work just fine. </div></div>

Nice smoke ring and char on the outside. You can see it is still moist too. Good looking loin there. Little rice and some veggies and a cocktail and you're set.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got back from a week's vacation in TN. The house we rented had a nice Weber and my wife brought along a pork loin so I figured I'd try smoking on the Weber. I used to have a Weber and loved it but bought something bigger when it needed replacing, I never tried smoking on the Weber when I had it but it seems to work pretty well.
IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

If you've got a Weber, it'll work just fine.</div></div>

Where in Tennessee did you go Phylodog! If you were close we could have reunited with your AI.

Eddie

That would've made me cry!

We spent a week on Norris Lake near Knoxville. Heaven on earth, I now know where we'll be moving should we win the lottery!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That would've made me cry!

We spent a week on Norris Lake near Knoxville. Heaven on earth, I now know where we'll be moving should we win the lottery!</div></div>

Next to Wyoming or Montana, it's as close to God's country as you can get!

My son celebrated his 15th birthday this weekend, started of with a day at the indoor range. Followed it up bu smoking up some ribs for his friends. I used a mixture of oak and Cherry wood for the smoke. Brought the smoke up to about 400 degrees for the carmelization, had to get a pretty raging fire going!!! The teenagers tore these up.

The Ribs are "Cherry Dr. Pepper glazed"

(3) racks of Baby back ribs
(4) cans of Cherry Dr. Pepper (can use coke if you want)
(2) Tbls chile paste (stuff in oriental isle with the rooster)
Your favorite rib rub
(1) Jar of Cherry preserves
(1/2) Cup of dijon mustard

Season ribs with your favorite rib rub

Open the 4 cans of Dr. Pepper and let it go flat (8-24 hrs)

Combine all ingredients (except ribs!) into saucepan and reduce over medium heat to thicken. I usually reduce to about 1/2 of what it was to start.

Cook ribs on smoker for 2 hours at 225.

Remove ribs and wrap them in foil tightly. I put a little cherry juice inside, but its not required. Cook them in an oven, or increase smoker temp to 325 degrees, for about 1.5 hours.

Remove ribs from foil and let them cool for about 15 minutes. Spread the glaze on and throw them on a high heat grill (or broil) until the glaze carmelizes. I repeat this 3 times to get a good thick glaze. Here are some pics

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 14pt">The Glaze. You can see where it started near the top of the pan</span></span>
ribsDrPepperstyle009.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 14pt">In the Smoker</span></span>
IMG_02371.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 14pt">Glazed</span></span>
IMG_02391.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">
<span style="font-size: 14pt">Finished Spare ribs</span></span>
IMG_02401.jpg