• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Is there a sticky thread for "Deaths of Pets or Pet Memorials"?

Milf Dots

Poontificator
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter
Oct 21, 2019
I had to send my little rescue dog Koki over the camo bridge yesterday- he was 13.5 yrs old and 12 lbs of pure loyalty and joy. Because he was about 8.5 years old when we got him, I didn't change his name, just the spelling from the native Puerto Rican "Coqui". He was suffering from liver failure- too much rum before we rescued him? Don't know.

I'm gonna miss the little guy... To anyone who ever lost a pet- the best way to cope is to stomp a leftist?

To all the pets ever passed- an endless supply of treats and clean water!

This is Koki at about 8.5 YO, on Independence Day 2019:

1724552316922.jpeg

Last edited:
I am on the fence with my 13 year old beagle. Some days she looks like she is at the end and then she rebounds for a few days and I cant go through with it.She has diabetes ,Cushing's Disease and a bladder tumor but what a little fighter. Last year at this time she went blind from the diabetes but we got her cataract surgery, and she can see great now. Dogs seem to go downhill so fast.

@Milf Dots
Sorry for your loss.

A few Saturdays ago, I had to send our cat, Jade, to the Rainbow Bridge. Her eyes were green, like jade, hence the name. She was 18 and her kidneys were failing (the reading was past the 130 mark on the doctor's machine.)

Jade was more my wife's cat and she and my dog Shadow got along okay. Since my wife lives in a skilled nursing facility, she was able to visit on Sunday mornings. So, it was not easy to let her know why we would not see Jade when she visited the house.

And that is what get a lot of pets, especially cats. Cats are obligate carnivores, they get most of their nutrition through meat. The by product of eating meat is the release of nitrogen, which gets passed out in urine. When the kidneys get old, they cannot do the job as well and the nitrogen backs up, leaving lethargy, nausea. This same thing happen with my old cat, Misty. I had changed her to an NF diet (nitrogen free) and she lasted one more year.

Jade was 18.5 years old and the most humane decision was to help her have her final peace.

1724523632127.jpeg

Goodnight, girly-girl (Brenda's nickname for her.)

Post in Man's Best Friend. too.

Really sorry for your loss. I can't imagine wher I would be when that time comes.

I'm trying to find my girl a new vet. The one she knew her whole life (over ten years) went on vacation and never returned to the practice. He was a good guy - I had convinced him to buy a used GAP for sale once, so Reese if you are out there please PM me for Roxy.

Last edited:
@Milf Dots
Sorry for your loss.

A few Saturdays ago, I had to send our cat, Jade, to the Rainbow Bridge. Her eyes were green, like jade, hence the name. She was 18 and her kidneys were failing (the reading was past the 130 mark on the doctor's machine.)

I'm really sorry about your loss; I know what your wife went through when I was coming home from college for Christmas freshman year, excited about the presents I had brought for my first dog that I had to leave behind, a golden, and so excited to see him; only to be told he wasn't with us anymore in body. Needless to see it was a very bad Christmas. and making me shed tears now.

Last edited:
my daughter was never a dog person. she got a donated mix breed and it very quickly became her best,constant,loyal friend. nothing odd in that. had to have it put down after< 1year at age of 17 mos. ESRD out of nowhere. vet said likely genetic from birth. she has been devastated. we have had several long talks about it as i have been there,done that. she is shocked about how major a loss this was. i am not surprised at all.

We lost 2 dogs within a week of each other last year. I still break down over them. My 5 year old son, who has autism, will sometimes ask about them and cry and then say "How bad can it be"
I have survived the passing of pets and other loved ones. It never gets easier. You never "get over it." But you go on with life with it. And it's okay to build a little scar tissue. That is the body's way of reinforcing where the injury was in order to preserve life.

So, if the scar that remains is sadness, remember, it is a part of you and you don't have to "get better."

I had to send my little rescue dog Koki over the camo bridge yesterday- he was 13.5 yrs old and 12 lbs of pure loyalty and joy. Because he was about 8.5 years old when we got him, I didn't change his name, just the spelling from the native Puerto Rican "Coqui". He was suffering from liver failure- too much rum before we rescued him? Don't know.

I'm gonna miss the little guy... To anyone who ever lost a pet- the best way to cope is to stomp a leftist?

To all the pets ever passed- an endless supply of treats and clean water!

This is Koki at about 8.5 YO, on Independence Day 2019:

View attachment 8487101

My sincere good will to you for the loss of your friend. In my case which is only my experience and may be totally different from yours: When I lost my buddy who coincidentally was also a gift from God and who was better than most people, for a while I didn't think I would make it. There were some extra challenging circumstances.

For myself and only myself as everyone has their own mountains to climb and I don't really know anything - I felt I had to get happy somehow so that my labrador (Who was a better individual than me) could get to chasing fried chicked frisbees and purple squirrels in heaven. I had to get better for him so I did. This is way easier said now than done then which is going on about 8 years now since he left. I'm just starting to think maybe I might get a puppy or two again. Maybe.

What I do know is that decent Americans love our dogs in a way that is worthy of respect. I send you a handshake and a prayer for your well being and that of Koki. I know he was the best dog in the world. So was mine.

Last edited:
I helped my brother move about 8 hrs away a while back. 5 miles from the house the cat dies in the car. Old age. Straight out of one of the vacation movies.
I was following him and his family. I would call him up while following him and suggest they toss it out the window going over one of the many lakes or rivers.
Finally we made it to the new house. It was warm out. I said hey we need to do something about this pretty soon. Eventually it was decided I would handle it.
On the way to the beer store I found a dirt road a mile from his house. Tossed the cat out in the woods in nice sweeping corner. I told my brother about the spot and suggested each time he drive by the spot to "getter sideways".

Reactions: Mike Casselton
Ayla, my Shepard mix rescue. I got her shortly after a divorce. She was with me through hard times and was the biggest sweetheart. I think my oldest son was 6-7 when we got her. She was with us for 13 years and got to spend a year or so with my youngest boys too.
20210111_071312.jpg

At the vet when I had to put her down... She had a tumor in her stomach that ruptured. My oldest drove 2 hours to be with us while we waited at the vet.
20210126_133055.jpg

The Bandit, because he would steal your heart, gone at a short 2 years.

Found him coming out of the woods after a day of shooting. Starving, emaciates, vet said he had the worst case of parasites they had ever seen.

He was a fighter and a lover.

And he is gone and I still miss him.

IMG_0364.jpeg
IMG_2522.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: roostercogburn98
The Bandit, because he would steal your heart, gone at a short 2 years.

Found him coming out of the woods after a day of shooting. Starving, emaciates, vet said he had the worst case of parasites they had ever seen.

He was a fighter and a lover.

And he is gone and I still miss him.

View attachment 8487428View attachment 8487429
I got three dumpster cats now. All were in bad shape when we found them, one is still a maybe case cause she was in rough shape. I’d still be as sad as the day we had to put or 18 plus year old cats down.

Somehow I think ones like this are far more loving and affectionate than one that was not close to death and then rescued

I helped my brother move about 8 hrs away a while back. 5 miles from the house the cat dies in the car. Old age. Straight out of one of the vacation movies.
I was following him and his family. I would call him up while following him and suggest they toss it out the window going over one of the many lakes or rivers.
Finally we made it to the new house. It was warm out. I said hey we need to do something about this pretty soon. Eventually it was decided I would handle it.
On the way to the beer store I found a dirt road a mile from his house. Tossed the cat out in the woods in nice sweeping corner. I told my brother about the spot and suggested each time he drive by the spot to "getter sideways".
That kind of response reminds me of Mat Best (Rangers 1/75) and now part of Black Rifle Coffee Company in his memoirs, "Thank You For My Service."

His brother was about to graduate Marine boot camp and become an honest-to-goodness Marine. Some bloodwork came back and it turns out he had Leukemia. His parents agonized over how to tell him because it would result in a medical discharge and no chance to serve.

Mat piped up and suggested, "Male strip-a-gram?"

I think Mat was funnier and at least, no one had died at the time.

Notice how no one in here is laughing. As the young'ns will say, "Read the room."

That kind of response reminds me of Mat Best (Rangers 1/75) and now part of Black Rifle Coffee Company in his memoirs, "Thank You For My Service."

His brother was about to graduate Marine boot camp and become an honest-to-goodness Marine. Some bloodwork came back and it turns out he had Leukemia. His parents agonized over how to tell him because it would result in a medical discharge and no chance to serve.

Mat piped up and suggested, "Male strip-a-gram?"

I think Mat was funnier and at least, no one had died at the time.

Notice how no one in here is laughing. As the young'ns will say, "Read the room."
People process grief in different ways. Some people get sad. Some smile when driving like Bo and Luke.

I am on the fence with my 13 year old beagle. Some days she looks like she is at the end and then she rebounds for a few days and I cant go through with it.She has diabetes ,Cushing's Disease and a bladder tumor but what a little fighter. Last year at this time she went blind from the diabetes but we got her cataract surgery, and she can see great now. Dogs seem to go downhill so fast.
Beagles are the best. We have three now. Never a dull moment at our house. Always lots of fun.

Sorry for your loss.

Others mentioned the Man's Best Friend thread but nobody linked it so far.

All pets welcome there. Also no crapping on others posts. It's a place for the good times and the sad times.

Sorry for your loss.

Others mentioned the Man's Best Friend thread but nobody linked it so far.

All pets welcome there. Also no crapping on others posts. It's a place for the good times and the sad times.
I agree. And I think respect is due for people and their pets.

Reactions: UKDslayer