• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

JP LRP-07 vs what?

Strip Poker 388

Rob Stringer
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2010
Madison,Mississippi
www.tacmt.com
Ive been reading everything I can find on the JP LRP-07 308, but Im not finding anything new or changed/updated since 2010 etc. What would you all compare this rifle to in same quality or if there's something better out there? Shoots as good? I don't hunt,Usually shoot paper,prone and a little bench,I do not want something like the DPMS lr308 that's ruff and gritty. Ive never handled anything else and in my area probably nothing higher end that I could look at.Im Ok with the JP's price range.

Thanks,I appreciate any advise.
Rob

On another thread someone said there was a JP dealer that was in the classified section,I never found it.

zzzzzz.jpg

After owning several JP LRP-07s and working with many other gas gun platforms. The JP is second to none.

Yes there are other great gas guns out there, but none that have the numerous advancements that the LRP-07 offer. JP is truly a mad scientist and has created one outstanding platform.

As far as a JP dealer goes, I know of none... better to call JP and place an order.

I am in the process of ordering a LRP-07 IN A 308...I just got my SCR-11 in Grendel and if it is like the SCR-11 just a little bigger? then you won't have to look for another brand. I have seen many AR platforms in both small frame and large frame...these are in my opinion the finest AR Rifles made bare none.

Other than a few minor updates LRP-07 is basically unchanged since it's introduction several years ago.

Fairly recently, JP introduced a newly designed large platform rifle, the PSC-12. It has both the traditional charging handle as well as the side charging system (dual system). The PSC-12 is available as a complete rifle as well as an upper assembly. The upper assemblies are cross compatible with DPMS, Knights and Armalite lowers.

As Knight said, there are a handful of good mfg's of large platform AR's. JP Enterprises has been in the gas gun business for over 20 years and definitely know what they are doing. Both the PSC-12 and LRP-07 are extremely well built and very accurate. There are many dealers for JP parts. Go directly to them for upper assembly and complete rifle purchases.

I have owned both the LRP in 6.5 CM and the SCR in Grendel and they were phenomenal shooters.
The side charger is a marvel of engineering. Unfortunately, I could not get past the the tight chambers
while shooting suppressed. My reloads were not fully loading so I sold both and bought a 7 wsm bolt gun.
I spent a great deal of time and money try to correct this problem and just got frustrated.

I own a GAP 10 in 308 and find the accuracy comparable. It works well suppressed.

I have owned both the LRP in 6.5 CM and the SCR in Grendel and they were phenomenal shooters.
The side charger is a marvel of engineering. Unfortunately, I could not get past the the tight chambers
while shooting suppressed. My reloads were not fully loading so I sold both and bought a 7 wsm bolt gun.
I spent a great deal of time and money try to correct this problem and just got frustrated.

I own a GAP 10 in 308 and find the accuracy comparable. It works well suppressed.

Was JP given the opportunity to look into the issue you were having with the rifles prior to being sold? I know they are shot suppressed all the time and most people have no problems. In fact with the adjustable gas block most of the JP rifles run better suppressed than a large number of the auto rifles out there.

Can you elaborate on what you did to try to correct the problem? I don't run cans on my JP's but know lots of people who do. After tuning using the adjustable gas block, they run great.

An equal in quality and accuracy would be the Larue OBR. I was in the same quandary as you and went with the LaRue. But it took me months to decide which was better for me. Still don't know if I made the right decision. But either of the 2 are great weapons.

Thanks guys for the responses, I looked at the PSC-12. I like the LRP better,

So you all are saying that the JP barrel will shoot as good as a aftermarket barrel?

Siscoe308 that's a hell of a discount, That would be around $1400 off list price

I looked at the Larue OBR first,I'm guessing its more of a production line type gun? also by the looks the JP has a bigger/better barrel?

I assume any gun dealer could set up a acc with JP, because I would have to get a transfer thru one here anyway. A dealer prob gets a discount?

Is there anything else to compare JP too?

Thanks for all the help!!

Rob

I have a PSC-12 and it shoots lights out....and it's suppressed. I incorporated an SLR gas block from the get go and could tune everything I shoot. I can't stand not having a forward assist based on my use of the gun in some extremely harsh conditions out in the middle of nowhere on hunting trips, hence the LRP was never an option for me. But another thing that's f'in greatness about the PSC 12 and the dual charger is that I can shoot supers whenever and pop in a mag of subs and cycle via side charge without the laid cycling the round. Beautiful set up. Doesn't get any better IMO...

Thanks guys for the responses, I looked at the PSC-12. I like the LRP better,

So you all are saying that the JP barrel will shoot as good as a aftermarket barrel?

Siscoe308 that's a hell of a discount, That would be around $1400 off list price

I looked at the Larue OBR first,I'm guessing its more of a production line type gun? also by the looks the JP has a bigger/better barrel?

I assume any gun dealer could set up a acc with JP, because I would have to get a transfer thru one here anyway. A dealer prob gets a discount?

Is there anything else to compare JP too?

Thanks for all the help!!

Rob

Some will say the LMT MSW will compare to the JP. Not true mine had a lousy trigger, barrel wasn't torqued correctly from LMT and while I finally got it to shoot sub moa it doesn't come close to the JP LRP 07 or the OBR's I've shot. Perhaps the SR 25 but I don't think they are worth the extra $$$ they cost over the JP LROP 07.
The OBR isn't a production line weapon in the same sense the LMT is. They are ordered and built to the buyers specs just as the JP LRP 07 is, it just takes much longer to get one than the JP.

Last edited:
I've owned several high end AR-10's (Noveske N6, Larue OBR, Gap-10, and some other cheaper ones) and each have came and I decided I didn't like something or other about each one until I got the JP. It's about as perfect as can be for my needs. It's every bit as accurate and reliable as the others except it is in a lighter and easier to manage package. JP takes excellent care of their customers as well. Not that the others I've had didn't. I've had excellent service in the past from the folks at GAP. Very good people. I use mine primarily for pig hunting and for carrying the JP is better than any other I've come across. It's several pounds lighter than the Gap or Larue and the skinny handguard makes it handle more like an AR-15. I actually have the LRP-07H, which is an 18" barrel and has a dust cover. I added a few options to it though from the standard H configuration. It's a definite keeper.

I think of all the high quality AR-10 platforms you can buy, I think the LRP's have the best weight/balance to them. And yes, JP's barrels are outstanding. They are Wilson Arms blanks turned to JP's specs. I have not shot my LRP a whole hell of a lot due to a lack of components, but the times I have fired it, it has been a lot of fun. Very low recoil impulse and an outstanding trigger.

If you're playing the, "I have 3500 and want to buy a great large frame AR" game, get the LRP. You'd never regret it. Also, the build time on a JP from order to delivery is only about 3 months.

My fault, they can come with the FA and dust cover. It was the dual charging set up that was the difference. Not sure I've ever heard of the LRP having anything to do with a "military version" though. Either way, their fantastic rifles. The only others id put in the same class are the OBR and KAC's SR25, albeit the latter is over $1k more...

I have a PSC-12 and it shoots lights out....and it's suppressed. I incorporated an SLR gas block from the get go and could tune everything I shoot. I can't stand not having a forward assist based on my use of the gun in some extremely harsh conditions out in the middle of nowhere on hunting trips, hence the LRP was never an option for me. But another thing that's f'in greatness about the PSC 12 and the dual charger is that I can shoot supers whenever and pop in a mag of subs and cycle via side charge without the laid cycling the round. Beautiful set up. Doesn't get any better IMO...

Thats a sick rig!

JP's stuff = not gritty at all. The OBR is probably it's only competition. I feel the JP is more innovative and the OBR is a bit more battlefield style. But that they are so close, you could argue it either way.

Its like wondering between Lambo and Ferrari. You are a luck SOB to have such choices.

Congrats I love hearing reports like this, I have a Swarovski 1-6x on my LRP-07 and does the same thing. I have never had or handled anything that comes close to my JP.

I don't hunt,Usually shoot paper,prone and a little bench rest,usually 200-300 yards,sometimes 500

I honestly cannot say anything bad about the lrp-07. Had one, loved it...but I hunt with my AR's. After one season in the Maine woods with the LrP I sold it for a Predatobr. The LRP just didnt fill that role perfectly for me.

For your stated purpose a JP rifle will put an endless smile on your face.

I had initially ordered the OBR, but after a long delay and bad customer service had to decide between GAP10 or JP. Went with JP because they had sponsored 2 matches I went to and I want to support companies that support my hobby. I also won a boreguide and a silent captured spring.....since then, I purchased 3 more JP rifles.

Too you guys that has a LP, is the gun gritty, I'm guessing with a polished bolt its not,basically the gun when assembled do they hand blend,lap etc, Like my buddy's DPMS sounds like it got sand inside it.

Do you all break in the barrel like a bolt gun? or already to go?

Thanks
Rob

No grittiness at all. It feels as if the bolt is on ball bearings lubed with baby snot. HA!!

JP does have a recommendation of breaking in their barrels, it is not that intensive. You can read it on their website. I did it with mine, and seeing the way it shoots now, I would definitely recommend it.

Have you posted a link to that video? I would love to see it.

Yeah! Let's see it! Haha

It was me shooting that sweet rig...I've been trying to get my hands on that video so I can show my wife so she will let me buy one!
Seriously, that is an awesome setup. 8x USO scope, 16" barrel, and I had no problem wearing out a full size IPSC at a grand! So much fun and way less recoil than the M1A SOCOM I used to have.

By the way, any of you folks check out that "Sniper" magazine? I just ran across one at Walgreens and guess what was on the cover? Feature story is of the LRP. Kind of cool...

what did you have to do to get jp to put the aftermarket rail on for you?