Jumped into the ELR game with a 338 EDGE

Sapper524

Yeti
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2009
US
After pushing the 308 to 1200 yards I decided to go for the mile mark and 2k. Did this on a shoestring budget ...

Stevens Long Action
McGowen 30 inch barrel (1:10)
Lug, bolt handle, and Single shot follower from Savage Shooter Supply
B&C Duramax stock with a LOT of glass in it ...
Badger FTE Brake
Rifle Basicx SAV-1 Trigger
Seekins 30mm Rings
Warne 20 MOA Steel Rail
Sightron SIII LRMD/CM 6-24x50

In the 100 MOA elevation scope game there aren't a lot of options under 2k. Have consistent rounds on target out to 1200 so far. For what I have into the rig its shooting better than expected thus far. Running 300 SMK's in Nosler Brass with RL25 currently. If the weather hangs on I might get some 2000 yard shots with video capture on both ends before the snow sets in.

og9pa8.jpg

o8evqv.jpg

Hope to have 1500 and 2000 yard results soon.

Re: Jumped into the ELR game with a 338 EDGE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman™</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look's pretty good mate keep us updated .

How heavy is your rifle ?
</div></div>

16 pounds is the limit to hunt with here, filling big game tags. She is right at 16 pounds, which was pure luck. I figured it would be over and I would have to take an inch off the barrel to make it legal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sapper524</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman™</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look's pretty good mate keep us updated .

</div></div>

16 pounds is the limit to hunt with here, filling big game tags. She is right at 16 pounds, which was pure luck. I figured it would be over and I would have to take an inch off the barrel to make it legal. </div></div>

There is a weight limit to hunting rifles in Idaho? Strange but I guess every state has it's own oddities. Do the wardens carry around a set of scales?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sapper524</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman™</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look's pretty good mate keep us updated .

</div></div>

16 pounds is the limit to hunt with here, filling big game tags. She is right at 16 pounds, which was pure luck. I figured it would be over and I would have to take an inch off the barrel to make it legal. </div></div>

There is a weight limit to hunting rifles in Idaho? Strange but I guess every state has it's own oddities. Do the wardens carry around a set of scales? </div></div>

Yep, just like lazer range finder scopes, have them or an over weight rifle ... they will take the rifle and your game ....

We are aloud to use Illuminated reticle now, this was the first year for that

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sapper524</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Yep, just like lazer range finder scopes, have them or an over weight rifle ... they will take the rifle and your game ....

We are aloud to use Illuminated reticle now, this was the first year for that </div></div>

That's outrageous, what difference does it make if I wanna shoot my elk with a 16 or 20 lb rifle? Good to know though. I'm headed up to McCall for an elk hunt in a week. We also have a male wolf tag. Same restrictions for wolves as big game, or different? You can use rangefinders right? just not rangefinding scopes?

-SBS

I think the 16lb wieght limit is to not have guys banging away with .50BMG.

Supressed is legal, at least to the person I spoke with at Fish and Game

how much 'up' in your scope?
you may need more than a 20moa base

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ida83704</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
how much 'up' in your scope?
you may need more than a 20moa base </div></div>

100 MOA of internal elevation - with a 100 yard zero I have 24 mils up left in the scope on the 20 MOA base ... JBM says ill need 22 for 2k ... and JBM has been spot on so far

Yes same rule for the wolf tag - and range finders are fine as long as they aren't ON your rifle

Update - 1015 yards

First round = 12 inches left (crappy wind call on my part)

2nd round = 2 inches left, 3 inches low from center of target

this was across a canyon in 12-15 mph wind ...

Ill take it ...

Gonna push to 1500 next time out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cryan15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What bullets are you using ?? </div></div>

300 grain SMK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ida83704</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The EDGE guys I shoot with push it out to 2,000 yards pretty regularly </div></div>

According to my numbers I can get to 2300 maybe 2400 under the right conditions. Next trip out plan on going to 1500 then 1760 for the "mile" mark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sapper524</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
According to my numbers I can get to 2300 maybe 2400 under the right conditions. Next trip out plan on going to 1500 then 1760 for the "mile" mark.

</div></div>

where are you at? how far above sea level are you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ida83704</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
where are you at? how far above sea level are you? </div></div>

Usually shoot between 4-5k