• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Kestrel 5700 w/ Hornady 4DOF

Here are the bullets in the 4DOF library:

HORNADY
22 cal: 73, 75,80, 88 ELDM
6mm: 90 ELDX, 103 ELDX, 105 BTHP, 108 ELDM, and 110 A-tip
25 cal: 110 ELDX
6.5mm: 100, 120, 123, 130, 140, 147 ELDM, 135 and 153 A-tip, 140 BTHP, 143 ELDX
7mm: 150, 162, 175 ELDX, 162 BTHP, 162, 168, 180 ELDM
30 cal: 155, 168, 178, 195, 208, 225 ELDM, 168, 178, 195, 208, 225 BTHP, 178, 200, 212, 220 ELDX, 250 A-tip
338 cal: 285 ELDM, 270 ELDX, 250 and 285 BTHP, 250 A-tip
50 cal: 750 AMAX

BERGER
22 cal: 80 VLD
6mm 105 Hybrid
6.5mm 140 Hybrid
7mm 180 VLD Hunter and 195 Elite Hunter
30 cal 215 and 230 Target Hybrid
338 cal 300 Hybrid Tac

LAPUA
6.5mm 136 and 139 Scenar
30 cal 167, 175, 185, 220 Scenar
338 cal 300 Scenar

SIERRA
22 cal 77 SMK
6mm 107 and 110 SMK
6.5mm 142 and 150 SMK
7mm 175 and 183 SMK
30 cal 168, 175, 190, 210, and 220 SMK
338 cal 300 SMK

WARNER Flat Line
6.5mm 122 FL
7mm 150 FL
30 cal 155, 180, and 198 FL
338 cal 256 FL
375 cal 361 FL

NOSLER
22 cal 77 RDF
6.5mm 140 RDF
Adding Barnes would be nice for those of us in California.

What are guys doing that have more than 3 guns they want to use it with? I get that they need to limit something to justify the extra $200 to the Elite but it seems like most guys that would drop $500 on a weather/ballistic solution probably have more than 3 rigs they want to be able to use it with.

What are guys doing that have more than 3 guns they want to use it with? I get that they need to limit something to justify the extra $200 to the Elite but it seems like most guys that would drop $500 on a weather/ballistic solution probably have more than 3 rigs they want to be able to use it with.

Right now, I have four rifles, two of which are multi-caliber (DT SRS and ?AX short action), so I'm shooting like 10 or 12 loads. I keep them in the Kestrel Ballistics Link app and swap them out as necessary

Hoping an update comes out to upgrade to elite level features but using the Hornady 4DOF solver, as it works better for me than the AB solver. :) For now, as KB has indicated, just transferring profiles using the phone.

Reactions: Bronc and DellaDog
Thanks, that sounds like a pretty painless work around

It's relatively painless. The last time I tried swapping guns to and from the Kestrel, it took a while to finally get the data transferred over. It was like my phone and Kestrel stopped communicating mid-transfer, so I had to restart the process a couple of times.

the code must not be working now. I just tried and it was not valid "15HDS". darn....

That’s odd! I did not buy it but added it to my cart and applied the discount code and it worked for me just now.

Knocked the price down to $424.15.

Maybe you should try it again at this link! Make sure you answer the engraving question before adding to cart. Once on cart, scroll down to “Apply Discount Code” and enter 15HDS in the box. It should knock $74.85 off the $499 price. Good luck!

Reactions: rgabaldon
That’s odd! I did not buy it but added it to my cart and applied the discount code and it worked for me just now.

Knocked the price down to $424.15.

Maybe you should try it again at this link! Make sure you answer the engraving question before adding to cart. Once on cart, scroll down to “Apply Discount Code” and enter 15HDS in the box. It should knock $74.85 off the $499 price. Good luck!

Ahhhh. I was on the wrong site. I was on Kestrel's site.... Yup, code still works. I have mine on order. Thank you.

Adobe_20190928_214518.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: seansmd and Genin
Does anyone have any experience with the listed rangefinders that link with the Hornady Kestrel?
  • Leica Rangemaster CRF 2800.com
  • Vectronix Terrapin X
  • Bushnell Elite 1 Mile CONX
I am looking to get a new rangefinder and would prefer one that linked to my kestrel. My primary use will be for hunting, but will also be target shooting out to 1000yds.

I also have the Leica 2800; when it works it's great. It's a bit hit or miss on connecting, enough I stopped using the integration. I've updated firmware on both, but it typically had issues after ranging once and trying to range repeatedly after. The first ranging takes a bit to connect, as well. I'm hoping a future firmware update sorts this out.

Mine are both on the latest firmware too. I do not nor have I had the those issues, seems I’ve read this before. I can range repeatable times at various yardages, 100 to 1,100 yards and have good success.
Both the kestrel and Leica are always in close range of each other. I’ll get it out more in the next few weeks and see if it continues with no latency issues...

The answer has been posted before:
Because not all laser rangefinder manufacturers use the Kestrel Ballistics Bluetooth Protocol to talk to a Kestrel, the Hornady Kestrel cannot communicate with some rangefinders which can talk to our existing ballistics meters. The Hornady Kestrel can currently communicate with the following rangefinders.

• Leica Rangemaster CRF 2800.com
  • Vectronix Terrapin X
  • Bushnell Elite 1 Mile CONX
The PLRF25 uses AB protocol, not Kestrel protocol. AB protocol will not communicate with Hornady Kestrel as it uses the Kestrel protocol since it cannot use AB proprietary software in a Hornady meter. They would need to rewrite the interface to the Kestrel standard.
What information is provided to the kestrel when using the Bushnell Elite 1 Mile CONX? Is it Just range distance and the incline degrees or does it also give Direction of fire?

Downtown, are you sure, the CONEX was one of the first and I don't remember that it displayed holds in the CONEX, most current LRFs do, but I can't remember the CONEX doing that?
I know it displays holds in the range finder (from watching youtuibe videos) But I wasnt sure if it was from its own solver or if it would actually pull from your kestrel.

I know it displays holds in the range finder (from watching youtuibe videos) But I wasnt sure if it was from its own solver or if it would actually pull from your kestrel.
Yes, the Bushnell Conex connects via Bluetooth to the Kestrel and displays holds. It also has a built in calculator, but I use it with my Kestrel. I bought a used Bushnell Conex from the PX just a few weeks ago, so I can attest to this.

Downtown, are you sure, the CONEX was one of the first and I don't remember that it displayed holds in the CONEX, most current LRFs do, but I can't remember the CONEX doing that?
CON X owner here as well, "Ab" mode sends the hold from my Kestrel 5700 Elite into the display when paired. I don't know if it works with the Hornady version.

@Kestrel Ballistics I’ve seen the list of 3rd party rangefinders that are compatible with the kestrel 4DOF. Are there any additional rangefinders that are expected to be compatible in the future?
Hey if you need one I have a Bushnell elite 1 mile range finder I am going to be putting up for sale soon. Worked great with my 4dof kestrel, I just upgraded to some range-finding binos so I no longer need it. Let me know if you are interested, I know they are hard to find these days.

Hey if you need one I have a Bushnell elite 1 mile range finder I am going to be putting up for sale soon. Worked great with my 4dof kestrel, I just upgraded to some range-finding binos so I no longer need it. Let me know if you are interested, I know they are hard to find these days.
I appreciate the offer but I'm planning to buy a set of ranging binos. Unfortunately, I think the only ranging binos that are compatible with the 4dof kestrel are the Leica Geovid which is why I was reaching out to Kestrel to see if there may be some other options in the near future. Thanks again though and good luck with your sale.

I am told by the technical team that an Elite version of the Hornady Kestrel is possible with the current hardware. Again, it is under discussion, but I doubt any decisions will be made before the roll-out of the initial product. Note the Sportsman and 5700 are both up-gradable to the Elite so there is precedent, it is just too early for the decision.
@Kestrel Ballistics is this something that is now possible?

Reactions: JCARL