• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Kinetic Energy Required to pierce 0.5" Steel

SuaveBobC36

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
I am writing a paper, and I need to know (or where I can look up) the kinetic energy requirement for a VLD bullet to pierce 0.5" steel (in ft-lbs or Joules). Does anyone know the answer, or do you know where I can look it up? Thanks a million!

Robert Bowers

Re: Kinetic Energy Required to pierce 0.5" Steel

First, what kind of steel? Mild steel is very easy to go through. AR500 steel, not so much. I bought some cheap mild steel targets (about 5/8" thick) for our range. Anything closer than 300 yards with my 300WM with 190 SMK (at 2970 fps) will go through it.
Also, I don't think it's kenetic energy that causes the penetration. It has to do with the size (diameter) of the bullet and how fast it's going. I believe it's the heat that's built up from the speed of the bullet that allows the bullet to go through the steel. If you fire a fast 223 Rem bullet (55 FMJ at 3200 fps) into steel, it will go through it like butter. But, if you take a 44 mag (240 grain at 1400 fps)and hit the same plate, you will only put a large dent in it. They both have about the same energy. The larger bullet spreads it's force out over a larger area. I'm not a chemist or such, so I can't give a technical explanation. Maybe someone can chime in more on this.
Hope this helps. Also, please fill out your profile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooting4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the answer is 12 </div></div>

Don't you mean 42?
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuaveBobC36</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am writing a paper, and I need to know (or where I can look up) the kinetic energy requirement for a VLD bullet to pierce 0.5" steel (in ft-lbs or Joules). Does anyone know the answer, or do you know where I can look it up? Thanks a million!

Robert Bowers </div></div>

Really,for whom- "The Huffington Post" or some other left wing organization to promote the Dangers of Rifle bullets.

That's the kind of shit you get when you don't fill out your profile,or give other pertinent information to get a serious answer. Especially given that some pending legislation bases the "limits" on kinetic energy produced-to put a draconian limit on what type of rifle we decide
laugh.gif
to shoot. In joules of course.Here is a link CLICKY Can you see why I am so skeptical?

As a first post,with such little information. I'll raise the BS flag on you Robert. Thanks a million and one.Remember a little information is a dangerous thing.

it depends, so many variables.
Energy is just one variable.

For example,
in point blank, 556 nato with tiny 55gr M193 bullet bites crater and makes clear dent in 0.315" thick/hardness 400 steel.
In same test, 7.62 nato ball or 7.62x54R with mild steel core bullet couldnt even scratch the plate. And no dent at all.

what comes to temperatures, there isnt major strenght change with modern materials if temp is warmer than about -40 centigrade.
Or thats what armor R&D metallurg told me.

Lt.Arc brings up a very valid point; but, with so much information available at the tip of your fingertips, how do you know if you are helping or hurting by providing answers or shortcuts to answers? And, does it matter?

I have a string of emails from people expressing outrage over simple TTP's offered via the History Channel. The internet especially has fueled the sense of a right to know anything and everything.

Nothing against Robert Bowers personally, and I am not currently wearing my tin foil skull cap...

Yesterday I had a guy with a post count of 0 - yes, that's zero - with no information in his profile but claiming to have graduated from the Army Sniper School a few years ago send me a P.M. requesting a formula for making the "loophole shot."

He still has not read my reply - or made any post - but I thought that was kind of amusing.

He didn't get what he was asking for.

I would think anyone writing a paper on a bullet piercing steel would already have a clue that ft-lbs has very little to do with it. I can take a hammer and hit a steel plate with more ft-lbs than a bullet can generate and it will have a very different effect on the plate. If you are seriously writing a paper on that, you need to do a lot more research on physics and stay away from Snipers Hide.

I don't do FACELOOK, but I looked up Robert Bowers just to see if he had a page. He does. He was a Seal. He has kilt those ocean going stealers known as pilates with a machete. He subs to the Israelis as a cross-dresser to suffogate Hamas people. He helped frame Roger Rabbit. Marie Osmond hates his guts for some unknown reason. He ok'ed the additional 8 billion for the Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle (EFV) that swims fast but runs like a Pontiac Fiero at 2mph on land with its one PFC payload. He put the gash on Lindsey Vonn's shin prior to the Olympics and made certain that Boshasss Vendersteinstein (POL) would not be in medal contention in the cross country ski events because he did not like the sweaters he wore after he stole his girl and married her. He turned in Pete Rose over a $2 bet he lost when the Mets choked. He suggested the firing of MGEN Davey Heinz (USMC) over the billions lost on the Joint Strike Fighter and Lockheed Martin LAUGHED so as not to lose their contracts. They are like that, you know. This is the brilliance of Robert Bowers. Focus over here on my parlor trick while we screw your dog in the ass and steal your life savings. PS. The info is readily available using simple boolean code...

All the results aside. Ranges in Europe BAN weapons according to muzzle energy. One member from the UK had to sell his 338LM because it was no longer allowed on the range.

If a guy signed up here and said he was an engineering student and was working in material science and provided background,to give him answers would be appropriate.

As a first post with no background to ask such a pointed question(no pun intended)is trolling plain and simple-no tin foil hat required.

When you have "friends" like a certain Senator from California writing bills-generally researched by staffers to ban specific firearms by Kinetic energy. ie.S1331 "Long Range sniper Rifle act" Clicky

The reason: "This legislation doesn't ban any firearms; it would only institute common-sense regulations for the sale of these dangerous sniper rifles." Dangerous Rifle? Non of my sticks have killed a human being-unlike one of the late sponsors Lincoln did.This are the same crew that insist on criminal trials for NAVY SEAL's and NOT supporting those that protect our freedoms.

Now you tell me we shouldn't question someones motives-especially when no profile or background is given. Its one thing to have to deal with it-its another thing helping someone's job easier is stupid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed. But I question everything. </div></div>

That is why,that you sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

So, what are you wearing?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You probably refer to the guy that posts during the daytime. He really is.

I AM THE NIGHT POSTER.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't do FACELOOK, but I looked up Robert Bowers just to see if he had a page. He does. He was a Seal. He has kilt those ocean going stealers known as pilates with a machete. He subs to the Israelis as a cross-dresser to suffogate Hamas people. He helped frame Roger Rabbit. Marie Osmond hates his guts for some unknown reason. He ok'ed the additional 8 billion for the Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle (EFV) that swims fast but runs like a Pontiac Fiero at 2mph on land with its one PFC payload. He put the gash on Lindsey Vonn's shin prior to the Olympics and made certain that Boshasss Vendersteinstein (POL) would not be in medal contention in the cross country ski events because he did not like the sweaters he wore after he stole his girl and married her. He turned in Pete Rose over a $2 bet he lost when the Mets choked. He suggested the firing of MGEN Davey Heinz (USMC) over the billions lost on the Joint Strike Fighter and Lockheed Martin LAUGHED so as not to lose their contracts. They are like that, you know. This is the brilliance of Robert Bowers. Focus over here on my parlor trick while we screw your dog in the ass and steal your life savings. PS. The info is readily available using simple boolean code... </div></div>

I <span style="font-style: italic">knew</span> it! Those doctors said I was "crazy"...but now, the truth is out
cool.gif