• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Sidearms & Scatterguns Knife Laws

mdmp5

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2009
    All I have to say is, what the motherfucking fuck???? I thought gun laws followed no logic. Then I looked at auto knife laws and/or balisongs from state to state. I don't know where to begin, but it makes absolutely no sense to me. i.e., completely illegal in Louisiana and New Mexico, and in NY, you need a fucking hunting license to carry a knife. Christ, back in 2000 I think I must have bought 10 autos when I lived in NY and had no idea about these laws at the time

Yup, try figuring out what the legal standard is in my state (Ohio)... "makes it illegal to conceal carry any deadly weapon ..."

The Ohio Supreme Court said in State v. Anderson, that to convict a defendant of carrying a concealed deadly weapon, the state must prove that the instrument is capable of inflicting death and that it is either designed or adapted for use as a weapon or that it is being carried as a weapon. That nebulous standard could mean just about anything with a point in the wrong courtroom, with the wrong libtard judge (can you say "Cleveland"...?)

There is some excellent knife rights groups that are doing very good work in fixing the stupid knife laws on the state & federal levels.
    I would suggest they are well worth your support & contributions.

In Texas, they were able to push through some significant changes to restore freedom back to the people. A couple more hurdles to complete freedom, but getting there. (Just have to get rid of that stupid compromise "Location restricted length" business)

Reactions: Snuby642
    If libtards ever manage to ban firearms here, they will come for knives next.

That is precisely what these shit for brains are doing right now in London, England. You'll need to wait 48 hours, undergo a psych evaluation, and be over 21 to buy a steak knife.

Live in Arizona and carried my auto benchmade into California without thinking about it. pulled it out to open a box and a few locals flipped out warning me of the consequences if the wrong person saw it. Locked it in the car for the rest of the trip. The stuff we take for granted in AZ!

Reactions: jmb1911 and RNWRKNP
    Mordor... err... Kalifornia has- state, local and county knife laws

So a 3 1/4” folder is fine statewide, but not allowed in PASADENA nor the City of Angels.....

What might be allowed in my city might actually be illegal due to country restrictions....

Not for autos just folding knives

All these laws as white people were afraid of Mexicans with switchblades..... Jim Crow laws are stooooopid

Reactions: RNWRKNP
    Texas finally got rid of most knife laws.
    Kind of strange seeing someone with a Katonah getting gas for thier motorcycle.
    Maybe they feel the same about my bbq revolver or double stack 45 when I go pick up some ice cream.

For knife law, the only federal law is the Switchblade Knife Act of 1958 as well as the 2009 amendment to the act (see 15 U.S.C. §1244).

The federal knife law only applies to individuals who are traveling internationally as well as between states.
    If you reside in a federal district (see Washington D.C. knife laws), the federal law is the only law that governs knives for you.

If you live in one of the 50 states, the federal law would only apply to you if you are traveling from one state to another or if you are entering federal property, such as a military base.

https://kniferights.org/resources/federal-switchblade-act/

to get more confusing...
    § 1241. Definitions
    As used in this chapter –
    (a) The term “interstate commerce” means commerce between any State, Territory, possession of the United States, or the District of Columbia, and any place outside thereof.
    (b) The term “switchblade knife” means any knife having a blade which opens automatically –
    (1) by hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle of the knife, or
    (2) by operation of inertia, gravity, or both.
    “Interstate commerce” means commerce (i.e. buying, selling and trading) between any of the 50 U.S. states, Washington, D.C., any of the U.S. Territories (e.g. Guam or American Samoa), and “any place outside thereof,” referring to all foreign countries. In other words, this means this term applies to selling, buying and trading between states, between a state and a territory, between a state or territory and a foreign country (i.e. importing). It does NOT refer to buying, selling or trading within a state or territory.

This section makes it legal for switchblade manufacturers, distributors and retailers to sell to the military, but only if it’s done via an official, sanctioned contract. This is frequently misinterpreted as allowing any active duty member of the military to buy a switchblade from out of of state or from foreign countries, when in fact it does no such thing. It also does not apply to law enforcement officers or other first responders at all.

Common practice in the industry, however, is at odds with this section. Manufacturers regularly sell to their dealers regardless of whether or not there is a contract with the military and they often sell directly to members of the military and law enforcement. Many retailers also sell across state lines. Manufacturers and retailers typically require only that the buyer (retailer or individual) certify they are will comply (retailer) or are in compliance with (individual) the Federal Switchblade Act. Arguably, the fact that this has been common practice for over 50 years without significant enforcement actions by the Federal government would invalidate this section to the degree that it has become common practice. However, this has never been litigated and, technically, these practices may not be legal.

Is there a consensus on ordering auto's from out of State retailers?

If the retailer will sell and ship to you via Fed Ex or UPS, then common practice says that is allowed.... the federal law, posted above, says it is illegal... but common practice says that it is ok.....

BATFE normally does not care when an Illegal uses a stolen firearms with an illegally shortened barrel... they let the locals charge them... feds normally don't worry about one off transactions of switchblades.....

just be aware, my opinion, is that it is stupid to carry a switch blade for daily use.... too much stigma around the blade....

My personal opinion is those groups trying to open legislation up on knives should piggyback them onto CCW laws as a starting point. If you hold a CCW, you can carry any knife. At least the politicians might get the safety feels. Gotta start somewhere.

Interestingly enough, I just got an email from the gravel agency (a importer/distributor in Canada for quite a few firearms and accessories manufacturers) saying that they can no longer import centrafugial knives... which is almost all folders. I know this is a Canada problem but I thought we (Canadians) weren't as stupid at the UK. Thankfully I live on the free(er) side of the border now but this still bothers me...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180514-094417.png
      Screenshot_20180514-094417.png
      599.7 KB · Views: 28
    Knife laws in the USA are about as clear as the movie "Beatle Juice". In one state folding knife carry is illegal while in the next fixed blades are illegal and blade lengths are all over the place as well. Personally, I prefer the smaller fixed blades as you don't have to open them. I like the Spyderco Ronin 2 as you can carry several in various locations for quick access and deployment but unfortunately here in the Peoples Republic of California they are illegal to carry.

Here in "The Peoples Republic of California" if you are a "banger" you are unlikely to do any real time for robbing or even killing American citizens but if you are an American citizen and harm some of the protected classes robing, raping, or even killing some of your family members; SHAME ON YOU as you are going tp prison. It is yet to be determined if my marriage will survive this move to California as I swore I would never return to this state after getting discharged here during Vietnam.

Knife laws in the USA are about as clear as the movie "Beatle Juice". In one state folding knife carry is illegal while in the next fixed blades are illegal and blade lengths are all over the place as well. Personally, I prefer the smaller fixed blades as you don't have to open them. I like the Spyderco Ronin 2 as you can carry several in various locations for quick access and deployment but unfortunately here in the Peoples Republic of California they are illegal to carry.

Here in "The Peoples Republic of California" if you are a "banger" you are unlikely to do any real time for robbing or even killing American citizens but if you are an American citizen and harm some of the protected classes robing, raping, or even killing some of your family members; SHAME ON YOU as you are going tp prison. It is yet to be determined if my marriage will survive this move to California as I swore I would never return to this state after getting discharged here during Vietnam.

I spent quite a bit of time in Watts, Los Angeles. And everybody is against them there in that they make enemies with everyone around them thus getting shot by somebody eventually. So in some sense those bangers do get Justice but not through the judicial system, that's for sure.

Canada is similar to California in a lot of ways. Self defence (doesn't matter where or why) is limited by what the attacker is using. So if a woman bear sprays a man trying to rape her then bam she is in prison.... the guy did loose his eyes but he had it coming. Or a knife vs a guy with his hands, same deal. Guns however are completely forbidden for self defence against a person. Non-restricted firearms (long guns) are supposed to have a lock on while in storage and to use one in your home against a intruder would be determined "premeditated". Restricted firearms need two locks at all times except at the range.

Canada is similar to California in a lot of ways. Self defence (doesn't matter where or why) is limited by what the attacker is using. So if a woman bear sprays a man trying to rape her then bam she is in prison.... the guy did loose his eyes but he had it coming. Or a knife vs a guy with his hands, same deal. Guns however are completely forbidden for self defence against a person. Non-restricted firearms (long guns) are supposed to have a lock on while in storage and to use one in your home against a intruder would be determined "premeditated". Restricted firearms need two locks at all times except at the range.

Liberal logic is so fun.
    Apparently if a small frail woman doesn't want to be raped and beaten to death she should have been able to beat her 250 pound attacker off with her bare hands...

Basically all about making sure the people are sheep to the slaughter and they are praying pointlessly to their "gods" of government for their lives.

Once again why I hate liberals, progressives and all "gun control" people.

Liberal logic is so fun.
    Apparently if a small frail woman doesn't want to be raped and beaten to death she should have been able to beat her 250 pound attacker off with her bare hands...

Basically all about making sure the people are sheep to the slaughter and they are praying pointlessly to their "gods" of government for their lives.

Once again why I hate liberals, progressives and all "gun control" people.

Honest officer, I was just trying to getaway and he kept getting tangled up in my cane. It was the darnedest thing I ever saw. There are at least some benefits to getting older and being told by a doctor to walk with a cane.

http://www.canemasters.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=5&zenid=5838a56618e1c3f77ddec7df0d48faf5