• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Kowa Reticle Eyepiece... Let's get to work!

Re: Kowa Reticle Eyepiece... Let's get to work!

Great! I will have to change the placement a little to go with the LER eyepiece, but it still works. We will need to get some pricing so we can figure out what the market size is for something like this.

It would appear they would need two different reticles etched, one for the 25x LER and one for the 27x LER to cover the 77-88 and the 66-60 lines.

I can't see documentation anywhere on the web that shows the focal length of the angled vs the straight bodies. Many designs are a little different between bodies and therefore the actuial magnification of a fixed length eyepiece varies a little. For example, I've got a Pentax PF-80ED straight body. The 20mm eyepiece gives me a little less magnification that the same eyepiece in the angled body due to the focal length change.

It's possible Kowa has them engineered to the same length, but someone would need to check that out. Mostly optics companies fib a little on the actual X value of a lens or eyepiece, since saying you get 21.4x is a little more awkward than saying it's a 22x lens.

Since it's not going in the body at the FFP, it will matter if they are not all identical focal lenghts, it will alter the reticle scale. Also still to be addressed is the alignment of the reticle, as the eyepiece does not rotate, the body does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">25XLER is for the 6XX series adn the 8XX run a 27XLER, unless I have them switched in my brain.</div></div>

I was looking at this. It says 25X, but maybe it is really 27X?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And here we go:

I stuck the fine subtensions on either side of every 5 mil. It makes the 5 mil points easier to find.

Closer:

What do y'all think?

I wonder if having all of those fine subtensions adds to the cost? I had never thought of it before, but it would have to add to the overall complexity of construction. </div></div>

Less is more.

I'm quite happy with only the 10mils wide TMR that I have in my Leupold and I really don't see the need of much more in a spotter.

I made a suggestion that's a bit more basic than your last version:

It's 20mrad wide, 12mrad high and with 0.1mrad fine hashmarks at the center.
Every 5mrad is a little longer to make counting mrads a walk in the park
wink.gif

It's really all you'll ever need, no more no less
smile.gif

Jo

kowa_reticle_jo.png

Closer:
kowa_reticle_jo_cu.png

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
KowaDraft7.jpg

KowaDraft7Closeup.png
</div></div>

I would invest in one of these.

Jo, let me look at simplification and see if people think it is better or worse. I don't like the fine subtensions in the center of the reticle, and if I were to put them there, they would at least be on either side. The fine subtensions are really for ranging and sizing.

The reticle does not need to go all the way across horizontally, I was just trying to use all the space I had. I will try another one with fewer fine subtensions and less horizontal and see what that gives us. I would still like to keep the center of the reticle coarse for the best visibility.

I like them at the fives-nice touch to eliminate numbering. Shows you were thinking
wink.gif

Looks like the 6XX and the newer 8X series share the 25, and the older 8XX series are the 27X.

OK... last shot. Tell me if we got better or worse. The differences are as follows:
- 5 mil marks are .8 mil as opposed to .6 mil
- fine subtensions are only between 4 and 5 mils and 9 and 10 mils as opposed to 4 - 6 mils and 9 - 11 mils (and 14 - 16 mils for horizontal
- Horizontal is 10 mils on a side as opposed to 16 mils on a side

Version 7B (B because I am showing actual FOV)
KowaDraft7B.jpg

Version 7B closeup
KowaDraft7BCloseup.png

Version 8
KowaDraft8.jpg

Version 8 closeup
KowaDraft8Closeup.png

I think this is the end of the line. 7B or 8. Or a hybrid. Let me know. On the shorter horizontal, I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, but I doubt anyone would ever use 32 mils of subtensions. And it just looks better shorter.

The finer subtensions are really for fractions, so 2 mils worth isn't necessary. And I think the longer 5 mil marks make it easier to see the 5 mils without counting out.

For this reticle, I think we are better off without numbers. Reference is pretty simple.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jo, let me look at simplification and see if people think it is better or worse. I don't like the fine subtensions in the center of the reticle, and if I were to put them there, they would at least be on either side. The fine subtensions are really for ranging and sizing.</div></div>

I put them in center that way for two reasons:

1 - Ranging with 0.1 or better resolution @25x you would want the fine lines in or as close to your optical center as possible. The further out from the center you put them the harder you'll find it to range your target.

2 - Using more than five hash marks will make you have to count the marks, making you slower and prone to error.

You can range as accurate with only five marks as you will with ten. If you're target subtens let's say 0.7mrad. Then that's a half mil + 0.2mrad on the fine scale. That's quick and easy to see.

You simply don't need ten, 0.1mrad marks, they will only confuse you.
Less is more
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reticle does not need to go all the way across horizontally, I was just trying to use all the space I had. I will try another one with fewer fine subtensions and less horizontal and see what that gives us. I would still like to keep the center of the reticle coarse for the best visibility. </div></div>

Most of the time you'll not want to cover your target with the reticle to have an unobstructed view of the target and bullet splashes.
In the same way you use the reticle in the Spotter 60.

You would probably never find that you put the "cross hairs" on target unless you could actually expect less than ±0.2-.3mrad of diversion, which is when you would want to have the fine subtensions there, right in the center anyway.

Just my 2cents anyway.

Jo

Features of the SH-1:
- "t" shaped design leaving 2 / 3 of the FOV open for observation
- .1 mil hashes every 5 mils for precise ranging and sizing
- Asymmetric hashes for fine .1 mil measurements
- Hashes at 5, 1, and .5 mils for fast reference and minimal counting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sent it along... I got a "thanks, but no guarantees." I sure hope this comes to fruition.</div></div>

Looks great to me...I hope it works out, I would like to own and use one.

Thanks for the work

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Introducing the SH-1 Spotting Reticle...

KowaDraft8Diagram.jpg
</div></div>

Man, that looks really good. Good work.

Nice Carter, but "d" and "e" would be really nice if they were .5 and 1.0 mil respectively instead of .4 and .8......

but I'm sure there's a method to your madness.

I want one!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice Carter, but "d" and "e" would be really nice if they were .5 and 1.0 mil respectively instead of .4 and .8......

</div></div>

Yeah. If you want something that is 1.0 or 0.5 mils long, you have dozens of those all over the reticle. This allows a quick check for .4 and .8.

I really like this one, inverted:

treticle.jpg

and this one:

spotter3_mockup.jpg

Why:

Playing sniper vice being a commander's on-site eyeballs for days I want to see what's going on at the target site -- I don't want tons of clutter, and if I need a passive clip-on in front of my objective I don't want a jumble and tangle of garbage in the field-of-view.

If it's time to range I want both the gunner and me to be in synch with our reticles.

Once rifle or indirect fires are impacting the target I want ready, common reference units to be able to bring the gunner on to target as quickly as possible. I don't want to have to try to guess through a hash of Horrid mesh to figure where the shot went (especially in thick green stuff like in the southeast US, Southeast Asia, and Latin America.

If there's a chance of seeing trace and adjusting over line-of-sight/line-of-bore I want that ability as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice Carter, but "d" and "e" would be really nice if they were .5 and 1.0 mil respectively instead of .4 and .8......

</div></div>

Yeah. If you want something that is 1.0 or 0.5 mils long, you have dozens of those all over the reticle. This allows a quick check for .4 and .8. </div></div>

Good enough! I'm just used to seeing those as 1/2 and full in my MPR's. I like its being broken into .2, half and .8 for similar reasons.

That design looks quite good. And imo, having the 0.1 mrad marks is very essential in a spotter scope. After all, you have huge magnification, superb optics quality, so why not use all the awesomeness in it. Having only 0.5mrad would be wasting the resources. I have ranged with a 36x magnification scope that has 0.1mrad hashes, and it is a breeze. On mine, the optics quality isn't that great, so this Kowa thing would be wonderful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr Scholl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep hope alive...

BUMP</div></div> I hear you. I'm actually holding out on the purchase of a new spotter just to see what comes of this one.

Yeah - if they don't do the milling eyepiece, I'm afraid the Kowa is going up for sale. Pity - it's an 88mm Prominar and the glass is unbelievably good.