Let's Talk Belt Fed AR's, etc.

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    I'm interested in a belt fed upper for an AR. I was interested and wanted one 20 years ago when the Ares Defense one came out. But it never delivered, pissed off people, etc., and I got some of it out of my system as a SAW gunner for a while. I guess now they have their shit together and they run ~$4000 depending on the model. That's kinda pricey, that's a new scope and a pistol or a KAC Creedmore upper or a big chunk out of the .338 I need. Or a vehicle to mount the M2HB on.

Does anybody have one? Tell me about it.

I was thinking one would marry well with a PDW lower and a 3gun trigger. I have one that's extremely fast, shoots too fast for most uses.

But I also come back to the idea that a belt fed semi is worthless unless it's an M2HB or bigger. What's your take? Worth it or worthless?

If you have the coin to spare, hell why not. For me the bang isn't worth it and that money could be put towards some other dream like a PVS-30 or optics. Like you I ran a M249 and got my giggles in. I feel a belt fed 5.56 would be beneficial fun in a FA/select fire, but a single shot wouldn't be worth it. The amount of weight you add in ammo to a carbine negates the pros of a carbine (light weight/quick to point/etc). You remember what it was like trying to do MOUT with a LMG. If I am packing a weight pentalty in a drum/nutsack bag I would want to have FA or be in a larger caliber. Ho Ho Ho, merry Christmas, a M240 > M249. I could see a belt fed 5.56 upper being quite the fun build in a M60 clone like another member posted a couple weeks ago.

If you have the coin to spare, hell why not. For me the bang isn't worth it and that money could be put towards some other dream like a PVS-30 or optics. Like you I ran a M249 and got my giggles in. I feel a belt fed 5.56 would be beneficial fun in a FA/select fire, but a single shot wouldn't be worth it. The amount of weight you add in ammo to a carbine negates the pros of a carbine (light weight/quick to point/etc). You remember what it was like trying to do MOUT with a LMG. If I am packing a weight pentalty in a drum/nutsack bag I would want to have FA or be in a larger caliber. Ho Ho Ho, merry Christmas, a M240 > M249. I could see a belt fed 5.56 upper being quite the fun build in a M60 clone like another member posted a couple weeks ago.

A friend of a friend here locally has an Ares/Fightlite belt fed upper on a registered lower, and it is a ton of fun. The cyclic rate is relatively slow. No idea what the actual number is but it's not harder tp control and hold on target than his Thompson. Tons of fun, but also tons of $$ spent in ammo.

I've got a FightLite MCR-060S on top of a post-86 Dealer Sample M16A2 lower, plus one spare barrel. The upper has an Aimpoint T-2 on top and a Grip-Pod down under, plus a Surefire WarComp up front. I've modified the lower with a Vltor A5 lower receiver extension and Vltor A5-H2 buffer, but I'm using the stock FightLite recoil spring. I swapped the stock M16 trigger for a KAC full auto trigger (that is absolutely superb). Also, I changed out the stock and grip for Magpul products. The FightLite extended bolt release is an absolute must, and I have one of those, as well. It should be standard with the kit, IMO, but it is not.

Since the weapon fires from a closed bolt, and the 12.5" barrel is a stout, well turned out item, the accuracy is as good as but probably much better than most any M4 in semi-auto. The big accuracy variable, as always, is the quality of the ammo you choose to employ.

The quality, fit, finish, and attention to detail of the FightLiite MCR has to be seen to be appreciated. The belt feed is a work of mechanical art. You can see a lot of the Stoner 63 family gene pool in this mechanism. Full up with Aimpoint and bipod, but empty, the weapon weighs just over 10 pounds. That's light for a belt-fed.

The FightLite MCR owner's manual suggests that only M855 ammo be used in it. While I've done accuracy testing with ASYM 77 SMK from a magazine, most of the ammo I've used is M193, simply due to the increased fire hazard imposed by the M855's steel penetrator in our arid forest conditions here in Arizona. The private range that I belong to here does not even permit any steel core use due to the potential fire risk. While there is no such restriction in place the 3 million acre National Forest that surrounds me, I don't want to be that guy that burned it down. Using M193 instead of M855 has posed no problem for me at all.

The owner's manual suggests breaking the upper in with ten magazines loaded with ten rounds each, and ten short belts of ten rounds each. While I did experience a few hiccups experimenting with the gas setting and buffer weight (it has three gas settings, like any good machine gun) during the break in period, there have been no malfunctions in the succeeding thousands of rounds.

I've fired a fairly large number of rounds in full auto over the last 46 years through various platforms. I still can't hit anything offhand at 100 yards with more than the first round with an M-16, MP-5, or M-4. But, I can with the FightLite MCR. And I can rock a 100-round nut sack or 200-round cassette that will let me stay in the game for more than a few seconds as with a 30-round magazine.

In summation, I'm 100% satisfied with this product. It is light, super reliable, accurate, and simple to use effectively.

Last edited:
    IMG_8032.jpg
    IMG_8033.jpeg
    IMG_8034.jpg

Thanks MSTN, that is very sweet. So that is a FA lower, I couldn't tell in the one you sent me. With a nice trigger, I bet it is just the titties and better than a SAW IMO with the closed bolt for most of us (unlike a SAW, it won't go Ka-chunk! on the first shot when you NEED it to go boom!). I'd be interested in the short barrel as well, I have a few KAC lowers I put away before the divorce and planned on Form 1'ing a couple. I've got all sorts, long and short Grendels, Blackouts and 5.56's. Even a .50Beowulf. All nice. So I really wanted something different with these lowers. Thought maybe a short AR57 upper on a PDW lower, which could justify the FN pistol, just don't know enough about the ammo, loading, costs and options. Or if the round is even worth investing in.

Are these the only belt fed AR uppers? I see they're the same as Ares and that's who I was looking at 20 years ago.

The one belt fed I do have is an M2HB, it's semi auto but that doesn't matter too much with it, they have a low rate of fire to begin with. And it still gives the exact same giggles as the full auto one did. I'd really like a second one, because two is even more fun than one. It's the most fun weapon I have alongside the integrally suppressed .22. Got a 6x48 .50BMG ACOG for this one recently for $1448! Didn't have the money but couldn't pass that up. It's a lot better than $3k-$4k, which is how much nearly every other .50 BMG optic costs. I was beginning to think I'd never get one.

Here's my M2HB if you haven't seen it already. I'm pretty proud of it and I've posted this picture a few times, I apologize if you're sick of looking at it. The recce rifle in front is indicative of the rest of my AR's, nice, tricked out, but still a bunch of AR's and I'd like something different before they ban everything, and a belt fed upper is definitely different than all the other AR's.
    IMG_0881.JPG

Thanks MSTN, that is very sweet. So that is a FA lower, I couldn't tell in the one you sent me. With a nice trigger, I bet it is just the titties and better than a SAW IMO with the closed bolt for most of us (unlike a SAW, it won't go Ka-chunk! on the first shot when you NEED it to go boom!). I'd be interested in the short barrel as well, I have a few KAC lowers I put away before the divorce and planned on Form 1'ing a couple. I've got all sorts, long and short Grendels, Blackouts and 5.56's. Even a .50Beowulf. All nice. So I really wanted something different with these lowers. Thought maybe a short AR57 upper on a PDW lower, which could justify the FN pistol, just don't know enough about the ammo, loading, costs and options. Or if the round is even worth investing in.

Are these the only belt fed AR uppers? I see they're the same as Ares and that's who I was looking at 20 years ago.

The one belt fed I do have is an M2HB, it's semi auto but that doesn't matter too much with it, they have a low rate of fire to begin with. And it still gives the exact same giggles as the full auto one did. I'd really like a second one, because two is even more fun than one. It's the most fun weapon I have alongside the integrally suppressed .22. Got a 6x48 .50BMG ACOG for this one recently for $1448! Didn't have the money but couldn't pass that up. It's a lot better than $3k-$4k, which is how much nearly every other .50 BMG optic costs. I was beginning to think I'd never get one.

Here's my M2HB if you haven't seen it already. I'm pretty proud of it and I've posted this picture a few times, I apologize if you're sick of looking at it. The recce rifle in front is indicative of the rest of my AR's, nice, tricked out, but still a bunch of AR's and I'd like something different before they ban everything, and a belt fed upper is definitely different than all the other AR's.
    View attachment 6984473

Awesome !.....Glad you were able to keep Ma Duece through the events of not so long ago (y)(y)(y)

(BTW, just had my first encounter with an M249 @ 1st SFG/A @ JBLM last Thursday. Sweet Jeebus, what a wonderful piece of machinery ! Although, 20 degrees out and prone on the concrete sucked balls. Had links and hot brass from my next door neighbor raining down on me to help me keep warm. Even the grunts were bitching about the temp. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

Last edited:
    The M249 works quite well, as long as the feed pawls, and cartridge guides (and their attendant springs) are replaced when they are worn out. I'd love to have one of the semi FN M249's, but there are just too many real MG's out there I could buy for that kind of money.

Do any of you shrike owners have trouble with the bolt not stripping the round/closing completely? I bought some hornady spray on case lube because some said that would help but maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. It rips mags off perfectly. Super high rof tho.
    I've had this 5-10 years but precision/ long range gets 99% of my available shooting time. Never really messed with it enough to solve the ftf

image.jpg

I would lean towards something heavier caliber is semi auto only. 40 round pmags and the ? Round drum mag they make now would seem to be the way to go for 223

Last edited: