• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Leupold Tactical Trip - After Action Report

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    <span style="font-weight: bold">Leupold, Beaverton, Oregon </span>
    <span style="font-weight: bold">Monday, March 7th 2011</span>

Okay, so as everyone knows, I was invited out to Leupold to meet with the folks at the factory, and more specifically the members of new Tactical Division.

Both Jasonk and I arrived a few minutes early and Pam Lo our contact was already at reception waiting for us. So after clearing security, <span style="font-style: italic">(iTar rules apply)</span> and noting our names on the fancy tv announcement screen we were welcomed into the conference room to meet the members of the Leupold Tactical Team.

At the table they had a hat, bag, and some literature, also along the wall they had several of their new scopes available for us to look at. Our main guides for the day were to be Pam from Marketing, Steve, a senior engineer, Steven the tactical sales and service rep, as well Arnie was to be our factory floor guide. We also met several other members of the team including Kevin Trepa Vice President of Tactical Sales and Marketing. In all I think we had about 8 people in room to include a member of Legal to help answer any questions we had.

We started off with a brief powerpoint on the company, and I bring this up because there is an interesting point of context which you will see again. Many know Leupold has been in business for over 100 years, what people may not know is the factory in Oregon employs over 700 workers. That is huge for any company, but how this relates to the scope business, in an 8 week period alone, Leupold builds more scopes than Zeiss, Swarovski, Schmidt & Bender, Kahles and Meopta combined. So what these other companies do in an year, Leupold does in 8 weeks. Now remember this because you will see it again.

It didn't take long for me to start addressing some of the questions that were posted on here, and the Team did a great job of answering them for me.

For some of the big ones, like Customer Service, the Tactical Division now has their own Customer service line. So no longer will Tactical Scopes and Accessories go to the general / hunting service center. That I think will help people get some focused answers. In this same vein, I asked about a contact so if SH members have an issue, we can give them a "name" to help address the problem. They were very receptive to that, and I think I will have one in the near future as a point of contact for SH members.

I brought up the subject of MOA reticles and spoke about the need to match reticles to turrets. They were a little slow on this but I think they got the message. It didn't seem to be on their radar, but I made sure to put the up on the screen.

Along this same line, I explained to them that our (SH) average user was much more aware of the needs and limitations of optics out there. I told them, the guys on this site are better educated, and that what works for a hunter does not necessarily work for the precision rifle shooter. That the days of the 8X11 inch box test were gone and that people were able to spot problems immediately thanks to level of discussion we find here. I think they understand this better now and hopefully it will make a difference.

Canted Reticles, brought it up, front and center. During the factory tour, we saw them making their reticles in house, and how they were built. We brought up the issue of canted reticles and asked about potential solutions, tolerances, etc. From them, they didn't say they had a 5 degree error factor. Where that came from I don't know but that is not spec. Now, in this discussion, it was brought up about operator error, and mounting of the scopes. And this is interesting because it came from them. When they test level in house, they use the flat of the bottom of scope similar to the feeler gauge method. I made sure to clarify this, and yes, level against the flat first and foremost. That is where it should be staked to be true.

Cost of the new scopes, we went over this. As I said in few threads already, right now the military has about 4 active contracts happening. This is the main focus for the Tactical Division. They understand civilians like it too, and want the same things the guys in green use, but at the current prices, it was a non-starter. I mentioned the L/E focus which is part of the Tactical Division focus, and the bottom line, Police Departments don't have CAG money. I think they get it, but really because of the active / ongoing nature of the contracts they really haven't moved that far down the road. Are they getting there, yes, they are... will there be commercials options of these same scopes, yes, but with the military actively pursuing these optics, we have to wait.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The Factory Floor Tour</span>

When we pulled up in the parking lot Jason said, wow, this place is huge and i had forgotten how many people worked here. And in person, it's big, so big that you can see where old buildings were added onto. As I said, over 700 workers in this one location.

Arnie was a great guide for us and took us through every step of the process. We saw several models being made, and other models that were already made waiting to ship out. Huge racks of bodies anodized, painted, drying, I mean, huge racks of tubes.

Leupold is one of the largest users of Index Machines on the West Coast. In fact Index Germany stores spare parts there because there are so many machines on hand. As Arnie put it, one thing they do and do well is machine aluminum. Every step of the scope body is built here, down to some pretty small parts.

So the big question, are things outsourced... of course there are. As it was presented and makes perfect sense, small things like screws, and what not needed to build the scope, that they are not making in house and it is much cheaper to buy 5 million screws from someone who does that than to machine them here. You expect these things. In terms of glass, well remember that 8 week period, Leupold averages about 1600 scopes built over 3 shifts, per day. Nobody in the US can produce enough glass for them, and Leupold doesn't make glass. They make and assemble their own erectors, reticles, and fixtures to hold the glass in place, but the lenses come from other sources who can supply that much glass. And, when you look at it, that is all it is, glass lenses, in clear packages, assembled by hand for each and every part needed. We talked about US glass, and they were straight up in saying US suppliers only have enough on hand for prototyping and small limited runs. Leupold can ramp up to 2000 units a day if necessary. The operation is just staggering when you see it in person. Other than doing groups of models, not a machine is standing still. Every station has the tooling at that station to build what is necessary given the demand. I have to say they excel at efficiency.

Over 80% of the scope is machined in house, 100% of the assembly is done there, that included the Redfield line as we watched them make these and the VX models. Right down to watching the guy spin and build wire duplex reticles. All that, including the etched Mil Dot reticles are done in house.

So why change the label on the box, well the Leatherman lawsuit certainly scared them. Because Leatherman Tool as a local company to Leupold seeing that lawsuit over the plier heads, really put the fear of lawsuit into them. So, they decided Assembled in the USA was safer than Made in USA to cover the small amount of parts that are outsourced.

We spent some time talking about the blank in their narrative and how not addressing it allowed people, to include myself, fill in this void left by not addressing it. And they understood the communication was lacking and caused more problems then needed. So, what is the bottom line here, well, if Leupold was asked to make 4000 scopes a day, 100% of those new jobs would be filled in the United States and in fact Oregon. This is an American company and a American Brand that operates in a global market. It's to be expected in a product so complex that buying circuits for illumination would be cheaper else where, and I agreed, in no way does it diminish the work done by everyone at Leupold. So, the fact they brought us in, listened to us, and then showed us everything, means a lot to me. I mean right down to the underground range. The whole tour was a little over 2 hours from start to finish, not including the conference room conversations. In that time we followed the entire process from extruded aluminum pieces, to scrap metal collection, buffing, polishing, hand assembly, beginning to end the life of a Leupold scope.

After the tour, we went back to the conference room and spoke some more about issues, and they were really receptive to looking in to everything we expressed. The key to me, at no time were they acting defensive to us. In fact the opposite, they were humble, and knew the effort spoke for itself. I seriously came in with a list, a majority of that list was from everyone here on SH, so they heard it, and never dodged a single issue. It was very telling, especially when you can see it for yourself. The racks, and effort, the espirit in their workers.

Finally I want to qualify this message, the invitation was presented to me, I accepted. I paid for the trip myself, and I did not walk out the door with any scopes. At no time was there an effort to "turn" me. I told them up front, first and foremost I am a fan, and second I know speaking for myself and others, we want nothing more to see them put products out we want to use and enjoy. We want to see Mil / Mil options, MOA reticles, turrets with more elevation per turn, and I think they understood that, so don't think of this as a sell out, because there was next to no selling taking place. It was more an experience than sale.

So, again thank you to everyone at Leupold for their hard work, their dedication to the product, and their warm reception given to Jason and I. It was sincerely appreciated. Moving forward I am glad the lines of communication are now open as I look forward to their new offerings hitting the street. The M5 is a nice scope, the 1-8X, right down to the smaller CQB optic like the Hamr, all these are moving the tactical division in the right direction.

Re: Leupold Tactical Trip - After Action Report

Frank's post sums it up very well. I'll add more later as time allows, but I suggest everyone reads the post at least twice as there's a lot of info to take in.

As Frank mentioned there were 8 people there! I was expecting to meet 2 or 3 people, maybe get some brief polite introductions along the tour, the standard nice to meet you's. Well I was wrong, at 9am sharp 8 people were in the conference room to hear the messages we were delivering from the SH.com community. Guys from the optical engineers, marketing, the VP of the division, Ray Brock the production manager, legal and a few more key members. They really were interested in our input. After about an hour of discussion our tour started, the thing Frank didn't quite mention is how in depth the tour was, I think we finished right about 2 hours after we started.....that's right 2 hours!! Again I was expecting the quick overview of "Here's where we make scopes" and instead we got the full meal deal. After the tour we got back to the conference room and sat there for another good hour talking about the needs and wants of the tactical shooting community as well as the military.

I too was impressed how willing they were to take constructive advice and input. We talked about the lack of innovation for so many years, the slowness to adopt mil knobs, etc etc. The high street MSRP of the new tactical scopes was discussed at length too. I can't think of once that they defending any of it, some took notes, others made comments, but no one got defensive or took it personally.

I will also add real quick that I was very impressed how clean the facility was, even the machine shop where there could have easily been more clutter and stray chips. There weren't, it was a fine example of how an efficient American shop can stay competitive in this global economy. They know that labor is cheaper in Asia, so they invest big money in some VERY cool machines that make the processes faster, more efficient and less labor intensive.

PS....I'm not an AR guy, but I'm going to get me a HAMR w/ the red dot on top one of these days soon, that was a nice little optic.

Time will tell if the message sinks in. Nothing comes quick from big industry but fingers crossed it'll all trickle down to us, the end user. I have a brand new recent production Mk4 6.5-20x50 M1 w/TMR and hope it's a keeper.

Good read LL & jasonK

Todd

Very Nice, I would really love to see them take your advice and start producing MOA reticles as I personally prefer them. Leupold looks like they are headed in the right direction. Thank you Frank and Jason for looking out for Hide members and using your hard earned dollars to make the minds in the Hide rest easier.

Frank and JasonK, thanks for taking your time to do this. I am glad Leupold is stepping up and addressing our issues in the tactical community. They were the first quality scope for most LE snipers and their service was great when needed. To date, most LE rifles are topped with Leupold scopes and will continue to be due to their mission and limited budgets. For this alone this company deserves our support.

Obviously things change with competition (thankfully we still have that in America) and others rise to meet needs of customers better, at times. I had the opportunity to see some of their new scopes being used by top tier guys this year and the feedback on them were positive so they are heading in the right direction and I'm personally glad that they are helping the military before us here in the homeland. The guys in the fight will ensure Leupold has the feedback to make our stuff better.

Basically, let's keep America great by supporting this company...they are on the right track albeit a little behind, and 700 employees in Oregon have my support, even if it's not on every rifle I own. I have no doubt they will come around. Bottom line, Ford vs. Chevy conversations in the future help all of us in the tactical shooting community.

Thanks again guys,

Whew, we were all worried!
    grin.gif

Thanks for taking the time (and expense) to make that trip. I'm impressed that they reached out to the community in that way and it does say a lot about what they want to do. Perhaps they really do want to reinvent their reputation in communities like SH. I certainly would have more Leupold optics in my lineup if they offered more "current" options like matching reticles and turrets (Mil/Mil FTW!), a broader selection of reticles and were a bit more competitive price-wise.

Frank -

great that you were able to go and held true to what you have been saying all along about Leupold -

alot of what you were impressed with in the tour, I have mentioned time and again (US company, US workers) in posts here on the Hide;

and i am sure you recall, my mentioning the fact that Leupold makes a shit ton of scopes , in fact way more than anyone else, etc, etc.

glad to see a new leaf being turned over -

on a unrelated note, please call me when you have the chance, i left cell # with Jacob

all the best

George

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The question remains, though, that if 5 degrees is not the spec on reticle canting, what is?
    </div></div>

I asked the question if 3 degrees was really considered "in spec" for them and a gentleman named Steve who was kind of our main contact looked at me like I was crazy. He said 3 degrees is considered way off in his opinion, though he never did clarify was an acceptable amount of cant.

Frank made the suggestion that they tighten up the spec on some of the parts that fit within each other to make it all line up.

We also all had the discussion that many of the "canted reticles" were being judged based on the results of a $10 level kit sold by Midway. Probably not the most reliable setup to use for determining if your $5,000 scope/rifle/mount combo is truly level.

To expand on the report...

I got there just before 9AM, the tour was about 2 hours, I didn't leave until after 3PM. So in all that time we covered a lot of topics. The exchange was pretty well continuous throughout the day. If I saw something I felt could be better, or that I thought contributed to a problem, I mentioned it. I really don't think it serves to go into each and every conversation or the detail of what was talked about when it was really just my opinion on something, but I tried to impress upon them the views from the end user. I made direct comparison to products were we don't see issues, compared to issues we do see, and they were very open to investigating some of it. That is not to say, they have been doing this for a very long time and in many cases the answer was, this is how we do it. But that is their right, they sell more scopes than I do.

So, understand if we don't break down 6 hours of talking, a lot of information passed back and forth.

The point, they were open to listening and in the places they could addressing the comments and concerns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So the big question, are things outsourced... of course there are. As it was presented and makes perfect sense, small things like screws, and what not needed to build the scope, that they are not making in house and it is much cheaper to buy 5 million screws from someone who does that than to machine them here.

</div></div>

So I have to ask, some of the most important things in the scope are threaded. Could this be the reason for the change in adjusted travel some scopes exhibit, while dialing in range.

Thanks for taking the time and money to go. Good review also.

Been waiting on this forever haha. Anticipation was getting to me. It's a very good feeling to hear that they're willing to listen to their customers without being defensive. Great review guys can't wait to see more spots ya'll fill in. I have one question, not a big one or anything. Was zero stop ever brought up? If so what was they're answer for it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, understand if we don't break down 6 hours of talking, a lot of information passed back and forth. </div></div>

Completely man thats a ton of info to try and put on a forum.

Glad to hear Leupold may soon be competitive in the tactical market. I sure would like to have more "american made" products to be proud of.
    Thanks for making the trip gentlemen.

Zero Stops, are available on the new models we saw. The big M5, it has the push button locks which also feature a zero stop. Zero stops are part of the Army requirements in their scope solicitations. As well the M3 & M2 has a zero stop, so they have them, just not for the M1 turret.

<span style="font-style: italic">One thing I missed, </span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Battle Field Upgrade</span>

This is the process to upgrade your scopes adjustments, they are doing it but it is not available for all models. When you want to know about a potential upgrade path, call them with your serial number. This is the only way they can tell you for sure. But upgrades are going to be offered on some models.

Niles,

I dont know what you mean in terms of the threading. They actually have machines made specifically for Leupold to apply loctite and torque the elements of the scopes that are threaded. I brought up the fact their main spring for the erector was a copper composite, and I mentioned that NF uses a Titanium spring, versus this copper composite. I forget the other element in there for the spring, but I asked if the copper was the reason for possible backlash or reported memory in the adjustments. They said no, but I did ask when I saw the spring and the material it was made from. I thought copper even in a composite was too soft for my taste.

Good to hear. I talked to a leupold rep when i emailed them discussing changing the elevation turret on a M3 to a M2 elevation turret and he was very informative.

Thanks again Lowlight and Jasonk.

Great comprehensive write up, very informative.
    I was a Leupold fan for years and have owned some very fine optics mfg. by them but have also owned some that were very sub par. I recently purchased a Mark 4 with high hopes only to have to send it in for imperfections in the objective lens.
    I hope the Mark 5 will be an optic to compete with the other high end optics.
    time will tell.

Very pleased to see the independence of the site maintained. I think that critical for current and future members.

Lowlight and Jasonk, glad all went well. Great review and
    sounds like it might start to go in the right direction for both Leupold and all of us.

Thanks for taking the effort for all of this. Jason, I know you own your own business which means your time is money and Frank you flipped the bill to go out there. If Leupold follows-up on the feedback you shared you will not only have helped an American company be more relevant, you will have helped the end-user as well. Well done!

Thanks,

Mason @ CST

I fully understand the Leupold Makes X amount of scopes in Y amount of days. And that thoes that put holes in bad guys for a living, take first in line when scopes are made. But if thoes of you out there have had the numerious issues with their line of scopes. Joe out their in his snow coverd hole can't for the most part get it wrong. It would be my hope that the suits at Leupold fully understand that Joe puts his life out there on his skill and equipment issued. It's a concern of how big, or how many. It's doing it right the first time. I hope the best for their tactical line, and that improvments are better than spoken word.

I didn't think that I would see the day that Leupold started to care about our "Niche Market".
    Any word on whether or not Leupold will assign a rep to post on this site?

Could this be the end of the epic Leupold dog pile threads?
    Does this mean that Leupold will be added to the SH approved optics list?
    wink.gif

For the budget minded, the Fed/Mil program is also a pretty strong reason to buy Leupold.
    http://www.leupold.com/tactical/fedmil-p...tm_medium=email

Thank you Frank & Jason for representing us and establishing such a dialog.
    This is huge step in the right direction that could really benefit our community as a whole.

Kevin Trepa Vice President of Tactical Sales and Marketing: So this is the guy who is responsible for Leupold's outlandish pricing strategy. Marketing 101 baby!

Frank and Jason...

My appreciation to you both for taking the time to go on this expedition to Leupold...both to observe/report as well as to address some of the concerns that many here (and elsewhere) have about Leupold and the future of the company as it pertains to us.

I am impressed with the level of information you were able to obtain, as well as Leupold's willingness to be receptive to input/concerns/complaints/etc. In my book...this is HUGE in terms of mending some of the damage that Leupold has done to its reputation and to this portion of its market in the last several years.

Thanks again, gents!!

Thanks for the report, LL
    smile.gif

I find it really amusing to see such a huge company, a leader in the world market, with lots of sales in the mil/LE sector, that is not aware or too slow to respond to not so recent developments such as matching reticles and clicks, turrets with more elevation per turn, zero stops, second turn indicator in the turret, 4X or higher zooom ratios, designs with improved field of view and exit pupil and non variable eye relief, with stricter QC, FFP illuminated reticles, etc.

Apparently the end users (or most probably the people who fill the orders) are conformists, and their design team is in need of new blood.

It's nice to see they're willing to listen, it will be even nicer though if they do listen and make changes for the better. Having another option in the scope market is never a bad option as long as it's priced in line with the quality and features from other companies and the quality is there. I used to love Leupold, my first scopes were all Leupolds but recently they've fallen behind in features, and quality but there price has almost doubled since the Vari-X III tactical's first came out. I remember buying 3.5-10X40 30MM mildot M1 and M3 scopes for $650-700 brand new.

Did you bring up the quality control issue? That is my biggest gripe with Leupold. For the passed 5-6 years they've been dropping like flies at matches, classes, and from just casual range use.

It seems like the tactical line has seperated from the hunting line which is also nice to see, and if they've set their own standards for reticle cant that is very nice. I do have paperwork documentation though that was returned with scopes that says something to the nature of "The reticle is within our 3 degree window of error". I can't remember exactly how its worded but I know it does indeed say 3 degrees. I'll try to find the box of files with those in it because I know I saved them. These were scopes that were returned to the repair facility when all the scopes were repaired at the same place, so theres a good chance that may have something to do with it.

I really hope they change for the better. It won't take much to do it, and they have the ability to make some really high quality optics but they have to want to. It looks like they have that want and It looks like they're taking the first steps into doing that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Leupold, Beaverton, Oregon </span>
    <span style="font-weight: bold">Monday, March 7th 2011</span>

in an 8 week period alone, Leupold builds more scopes than Zeiss, Swarovski, Schmidt & Bender, Kahles and Meopta combined. So what these other companies do in an year, Leupold does in 8 weeks. Now remember this because you will see it again. </div></div>

I think this goes to the heart of the issue when it comes to quality with Leupold. Leupold are a big volume manufacturer and with that comes the perception and reality that quality cannot be the same as the smaller niche makers. This comment has also further cemented in my mind that Leupold are way off in their pricing for their tactical line to the point of being greedy, certainly some consumers will see it this way. The economies of scale acheived through their sheer manufacturing volume indicates that they should be substantially more competitive on pricing - instead we are seeing their Mk4 line creep up to near NF pricing. One poster used the analogy of Ford versus Ferrari, and the building of the GT - whilst Ford sold thousands of GTs they only did so because they priced it well below the cost of the luxury brand supercars. If Ford had priced the GT at the same price or higher than the luxury brands (as Leupold are doing with the CQBSS and their other tactical scopes) the sales numbers for the GT would have been dismal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    For the budget minded, the Fed/Mil program is also a pretty strong reason to buy Leupold.
    </div></div>

LOL I don't want to have to join the armed forces just to get a mark 4 for what it should cost in the first place.

When I saw the HAMR 4X as well as the 1-8 and 6.5-20 with the mondo huge knobs I thought they looked like the types of scopes people here have been asking for but not at those prices.

They're learning but they still have a ways to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If Ford had priced the GT at the same price or higher than the luxury brands (as Leupold are doing with the CQBSS and their other tactical scopes) the sales numbers for the GT would have been dismal. </div></div>

Yeap. They could *easily* win price wars with other companies if they wanted to. They just choose not to.

I don't think the tactical market matters to them as much as the military and hunting markets do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... I brought up the fact their main spring for the erector was a copper composite, and I mentioned that NF uses a Titanium spring, versus this copper composite. I forget the other element in there for the spring, but I asked if the copper was the reason for possible backlash or reported memory in the adjustments. They said no, but I did ask when I saw the spring and the material it was made from. I thought copper even in a composite was too soft for my taste. </div></div>

That was probably Beryllium Copper ? It's a pretty common spring material.

Good review, I'm looking forward to seeing and trying some of their new products.

Thank you, Gentlemen,

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    That was probably Beryllium Copper ? It's a pretty common spring material.

Good review, I'm looking forward to seeing and trying some of their new products.

Thank you, Gentlemen,

Bill </div></div>

Bill,

Now you're just showing off!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't remember exactly how its worded but I know it does indeed say 3 degrees. I'll try to find the box of files with those in it because I know I saved them. These were scopes that were returned to the repair facility when all the scopes were repaired at the same place, so theres a good chance that may have something to do with it.
    </div></div>

If you find this piece of paper then please be sure to get me a copy of it. I'll make sure it gets into the hands of the people that we were talking to.

I'm going to look for it when I get home, I have a good idea which box it's in. I'll scan it and post a picture of it here after I edit my contact info out of it.