• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hunting & Fishing Lightest Recoiling 20 Gauge?

ccasanova

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2010
Southeast LA
My father-in-law has had multiple eye surgeries and needs a lighter recoiling shotgun for doves and skeet. He’s currently shooting a Benelli M2 Field 12gauge.

We have no experience with 20s. Looking at Benelli M2 or Montefeltro, Beretta A400 or similar.

Any real world experience?

Reactions: Aescobar17
I went through the same question. Montefeltro would be a good choice, as would an older Remington 1100 (not the 11-87, although that is ok given a slightly heavier base weight). I ended up picking a Beretta 3901 (actually 2, one 12 and one 20). I think the gas system is fantastic. They don't make the 3901 anymore, now its the A300 Outlander, but I wouldn't hesistate to pick up a used one. If weight is a concern, you may want to check out the Benelli Ultralight too.

A400 20ga with KO. Stupidly soft shooting.

^^^^^^^^^ What he said.
I'm a big fan of the 20 gauge for most everything. I have an A400 20ga. The recoil is absolutely amazingly light. It's a gas gun, so it will cycle most anything you feed it vs some of the recoil operated guns. I reload and typically run 3/4 oz 12 ga loads through my 12 ga A400 and my 20 ga A400. Think about that - a 12 ga gas gun that will cycle 3/4 oz loads.

We’re gonna try to find a 20ga A400 Beretta to shoot. Sounds like the softest available. I’ll probably give him a few hundred for his 12ga M2. I need something shorter to pair with my 30” Córdoba.

I think you'll like it.
If you lived in MN, I'd take both of you out and put a few hundred rounds through several different guns. I also have the A400 in 28 ga. That one is my wife's favorite, my favorite to carry in the field (even though it's only a couple ounces lighter than the 20), but the ammo gets a little spendy compared to the cheap 20 ga.

I think you'll like it.
If you lived in MN, I'd take both of you out and put a few hundred rounds through several different guns. I also have the A400 in 28 ga. That one is my wife's favorite, my favorite to carry in the field (even though it's only a couple ounces lighter than the 20), but the ammo gets a little spendy compared to the cheap 20 ga.

I sure do want an A400 in 28 ga!

Not to hijack OP,. But any feedback on the CZ720 G2? Looking for a shotgun for the wife.

Full disclosure: I have been accused of being a shotgun snob.

Having said that, I recognize that CZ has come a long way in the quality department, but I still shy away from them and won't recommend them to a friend or family member.

Here is a review by Randy Wakeman of the first generation of the model you are looking at. It was not well regarded.

If you're looking at getting a ~$500 auto-loading 20 ga shotgun, I would honestly look at the Remington 11-87. I know they're not pretty, they are a little barrel heavy, but they've been in production for 32 years now and there is a TON of information out there on their quirks, parts needed that get worn out, etc. I used to have one that I used to teach people how to shoot clays. I was dumb and sold it. Now I teach people with a Beretta A400 in 20 ga.
I have never shot one, but I have heard loads of good things about the Mossberg SA-20 or Weatherby SA-08

We’re gonna try to find a 20ga A400 Beretta to shoot. Sounds like the softest available. I’ll probably give him a few hundred for his 12ga M2. I need something shorter to pair with my 30” Córdoba.

A 12ga Beretta A400 with the Kick Off system is pretty soft recoiling. The KO system takes a HUGE bite out of the recoil. It might actually be softer shooting than a 20ga A400 FYI.

A 12ga Beretta A400 with the Kick Off system is pretty soft recoiling. The KO system takes a HUGE bite out of the recoil. It might actually be softer shooting than a 20ga A400 FYI.

I have a 12ga a400 xcel (blue receiver "smurf gun"). It weighs 8+lbs and has the kick off system. The 20ga a400 is the field grade xplor with the bronze receiver. The 20ga has similar recoil to the 12ga when shooting target loads, but I still find the 20ga more enjoyable to shoot and teach with because the weight is easier to push around and swing through targets. If you're comparing an a400 xplor in 12ga with kickoff to an a400 xplor in 20ga without kick off, in my opinion, the 20ga is hands down the softer shooter.

I have a 12ga a400 xcel (blue receiver "smurf gun"). It weighs 8+lbs and has the kick off system. The 20ga a400 is the field grade xplor with the bronze receiver. The 20ga has similar recoil to the 12ga when shooting target loads, but I still find the 20ga more enjoyable to shoot and teach with because the weight is easier to push around and swing through targets. If you're comparing an a400 xplor in 12ga with kickoff to an a400 xplor in 20ga without kick off, in my opinion, the 20ga is hands down the softer shooter.

I'm referencing the A400 Xcel (smurfy) with KO. I've never done the direct comparison between 12ga A400 Xcel w/KO and the 20ga A400 Xplor without KO but they should be close in recoil with both being quite soft. Some folks like a heavier gun, while other prefer a light gun. OP's Dad may find a 20ga a bit too light for his liking. YMMV

OP has lots of options to explore (no pun intended) within the A400 line. Either 12ga or 20ga. 12ga may still be an option is all I was pointing out.

Reactions: drew_235