LMT MRP Dilemma

hypno02

Not Politically Correct
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2006
South Dakota
Hey all,

I plan to have a colt M4 SOCOM barrel converted to the LMT MRP platform by D Wilson Mfg.

I’m torn on what to do about the bare surfaces post-op. This barrel will reside on my “go-to” rifle and it needs to be very corrosion resistant.

Unfinished surfaces:

1. Stainless steel conversion “collar” as can be seen in the attached picture.
  2. Butchered FSB that I plan to hack myself.

Here’s what I’m considering for refinishing options:

1. 2000* High Temp spray paint
  2. Blue the surface + 2000* High Temp spray paint
  3. $50 ADCO “military grade phosphate finish”
  4. Something I’m overlooking?

Granted these surfaces will be easily serviceable due to the nature of the MRP platform but I wanted to get some opinions. What will be the best option for corrosion resistance?

Thanks all

Then I guess you don’t want my input on barrel finishes either 🤣

You could have replied with your opinion of finishes in your first post. But no you assume I’m just some dipshit who hasn’t done their homework and doesn’t know what they want.

1. Find me a 14.5” mrp barrel in stock for retail

2. No I will not cut down my 4 16” MRP barrels to 14.5. Reason—I don’t know where you live but I need this rifle to run unsuppressed in sub zero temps using any & all commercially available .223 loadings down to 45gr. If that means mk262 is going to be a little hot then so-be-it. Cutting down a 16” CL mrp isn’t going to help a gas system accomplish that.

3. Is there a more accurate 14.5” chrome lined barrel in the world than a colt socom?

Enlighten me with your superior solution.

H series cerakote is the best barrel finish, followed by C series, then by gunkote. Parrkerization comes last.

The gas port on the MRP is generous and you can cut them down without issue. I don’t want to say under 12.5 is ok, but 12.5 is OK.

Reactions: hypno02
You might want to check out the Criterion barrels. Many have had great success with their chrome lined. Not sure about coating. You might call LoneWolf and ask them who they contract for their nitriding service.

This looks like a cool project! I'm interested in hearing about your experience with D Wilson MFG for this service, as I've been considering an eventual MRP upper build with a different barrel than what LMT offers. The allure of a monolithic upper and quick-change barrel system has seemed to stay with me over the years...

@hypno02 - any updates? I am looking to do precisely the same thing. I have my LMT barrel, but it is difficult to find another and the secondary market has crazy prices. i have always liked Colt barrels, and have a stripped one here I want to send off to Wilson. How did it all work out for you?

You could have replied with your opinion of finishes in your first post. But no you assume I’m just some dipshit who hasn’t done their homework and doesn’t know what they want.

1. Find me a 14.5” mrp barrel in stock for retail

2. No I will not cut down my 4 16” MRP barrels to 14.5. Reason—I don’t know where you live but I need this rifle to run unsuppressed in sub zero temps using any & all commercially available .223 loadings down to 45gr. If that means mk262 is going to be a little hot then so-be-it. Cutting down a 16” CL mrp isn’t going to help a gas system accomplish that.

3. Is there a more accurate 14.5” chrome lined barrel in the world than a colt socom?

Enlighten me with your superior solution.

2. How do you know a 16 inch barrel will no function suppressed when its sub zero? Many people have cut back 16 inch mrp barrels, without issues.
3. Yeah, LMT.

Reactions: Jsp556