• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Load for semi auto vs. bolt action?

TRPAUBREY

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2011
Should the load I use use for my Rem. 700 .308 be reasonably accutate in my Robinson Arms XCR-M .308 semi auto? My 700 is a 26" heavy barrel with a 1:10 twist in an AI chassis. I can shoot sub MOA groups at 100 with 168gr. Hornady BTHP Match bullets and 44.0 gr. of Varget. My XCR-M is an 18.6" barrel also with a 1:10 twist.The OAL for this gun is 2.80 vs 2.945 for the 700 Rem. I am not using the same brass however. I use Lapua in bolt action and Winchester in the other.(scared of loosing too much Lapua). Should I expect this load to be reasonably accurate in the XCR?

Thanks

Re: Load for semi auto vs. bolt action?

I would work it up to 44 grains. With the shorter COL you will probably run into pressure spikes and the gas system will get more of a work out

Re: Load for semi auto vs. bolt action?

That does make sense. I shot those loads today with very poor results. A 5 shot group at 100 yards that looked like 00 buck out of a 12 guage. The brass and primers looked ok though. I did not chrony the loads..... it was 0 deg. F today and I was lazy I guess. (I wish I had done it). I read on another post that your shooting technique has to better with a semi-auto than a bolt action. I would like to think that it wasn't just my technique that layed out an 8" group at 100 yards.