• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Long Range Gas Gun Optics

DogDown338

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2020
My 6.5 SP10M 22” came in recently and I’m really having a hard time picking glass for it. I do any and all types of long range shooting at my family ranch. We stretch out to 1 mile occasionally but typically shoot 1400 and in. A 7-35 ATACR seems like an easy choice but it is quite heavy and lacking bottom end for the coyote hunting we regularly do at the ranch.

I beat the crap out of guns/optics and need something strong, not too heavy, good fov at bottom end and a reticle that works at the lower end.

My top picks currently are
Burris XTR 3 5.5-30 (reticle super thin)
Mk5 5-25 (I worry about tracking, rigidity)
NX8 2.5-20 (wide fov but reticle is useless at bottom end)
NX8 4-30 (enough elevation for my mile shooting?)
Atacr 4-20 and 5-25 and 7-35 (heavy for already heavy rifle)

Please help me stop tormenting myself over this choice.

Note: 12 oclock red dot will be mounted above optic likely in a badger comm max

Reactions: Kran09
I’m running Bushnell DMR Pro2 and DMR3 3.5-21’s on 2 6.5 CM AR’s. Good glass, tough, repeatable and usable reticles. You’ve got a good list to pick from and I wouldn’t leave these off. You’re going to have a heavy setup anyway you go, and if a truck gun on ranch, and not always packing it around, few extra ounces here/there aren’t going hurt you much. My other walk around CM has either an LRTS 4.5-18 or a 1-10 based on expected engagement distances.

I don’t have much knowledge on ZCO’s other than they are excellent quality. How is their customer support if something was to go wrong with it? I’ll look into the specs more
I have had to send 1 ZCO back. They took care of it promptly and even sent me a hat. They’re responsive and as far as I know any warranty work is done in Idaho. If it’s within your budget the 420 is perfect for a gas gun.

Reactions: simonp
I have the 3.3-18 XTRIII on my 6.5 Creedmoor AR10 with a 22" barrel. The illuminated version doesn't have too thin of a reticle. I've been running it for a couple years since the illuminated scope came out.

The length, weight, large FOV and glass quality, literally make this optic perfect for your set up and mine. I've shot PRS matches with mine impacting targets past 1200 yards, and I've hunted wolves and lions with it.

There is literally no other optic I would rather be running on my 6.5 gasser.

I have 3 Mk5 3.6-18. No tracking issues with any of them.

But I snagged a PMII 5-25 with a T3 reticle cheap so that sits on the SP10.

The difference in glass between a Mk5 or Burris, and the S&B or ZCO, is very apparent at 800+ yards. Especially as soon as conditions aren't perfect.

If you shoot with clip ons, and want to go 800-1000+ at night, just get the S&B or ZCO.

Reactions: simonp and BigL
I’ve chosen the NX8 4-32’s for my precision gas guns. I’ve managed my expectations and I understand it’s a B tier scope. Been very happy with clarity, power, reticle, size and weight. I think it’s a smart choice. In the used market they can be had for around $1750 fairly regularly.

Reactions: Dendro and HD1911
My 6.5 SP10M 22” came in recently and I’m really having a hard time picking glass for it. I do any and all types of long range shooting at my family ranch. We stretch out to 1 mile occasionally but typically shoot 1400 and in. A 7-35 ATACR seems like an easy choice but it is quite heavy and lacking bottom end for the coyote hunting we regularly do at the ranch.

I beat the crap out of guns/optics and need something strong, not too heavy, good fov at bottom end and a reticle that works at the lower end.

Feel free to reach out to us at 916-670-1103 and we can help you pick a great option :)

Thank you for all the responses. I’m really considering the ZCO 4-20 now and hadn’t considered it previously. This appears to check all the boxes for what I’m looking for. It’s slightly over budget but I’ll keep an eye on the PX for a good used one. Just have to decide on a reticle now.
I have the MPCT 3x and REALLY like it. It is a reticle style, but it doesn’t feel cluttered to me. Especially paired with a gas gun, if you can spot misses, it’s a game changer for follow ups IMO

Reactions: CSTactical
for that kind of requirement...I'd strongly consider the 4.5-28x52mm March-FX
I've got the 5-40x on a long range rifle, and the only thing I'd like better would be reticle, but the 4.5-28 would be great on a high end gasser that you hunt with. the wide angle eye piece is pretty much unmatched for FOV, especially on the low end.

Narrowing the use case for this rifle a little more should make your optics decision quite a bit easier.

Might consider the Steiner T6xi 3-18x56. Excellent glass and an absolutely massive field of view at the low end. I'm also very partial to the MSR2 but opinions vary
I would second the T6xi 3-18. Great fov and clarity even in shit conditions right up there with the alpha stuff. Somewhat friendly to the wallet. I love the msr2. Little ca on top but nothing too bad. I have 3 lol

Reactions: Elias
If you're shooting 1400 and occasionally a mile, you might be happier with more magnification on the top end than 16-20. The ZCO 527 is only about 3 oz heavier than the 420. If you could find a Minox ZP5 5-25, that also would work at 34 oz and it's a superb scope.

I have a SB 3-20 US on my SR-25 .308 gas gun and really like it. But I don't shoot it past 800 yards.

A little more than 20x wouldn't hurt and why I recommended the Zeiss S3 4-25x with it's 46.5 mils of elevation to get to a mile. When I shot the mile down at Coleman's Creek with my Gen II Razor I had it on about 21x and no problems being able to see getting hits on the 12" steel. The S3 has better glass than that Razor II so I know seeing the distance won't be an issue. If he wants to spend over $3000 on an optic for a gas gun and can then have at it. I wish I could. LOL

Reactions: nickw and Tikkaguy
After reviewing all of the outstanding feedback I am now looking into the zco 4-20, and the march 4.5-28 as they both meet my criteria and appear to have good customer support over some of the other alpha glass companies. Probably the first one I find on the PX with locking turrets around the $3k price range will be the one I get. If you have any responses regarding these two scopes and pros and cons I am all ears. This is my first post on the hide and I truly appreciate the insight from you all. Thank you.

Reactions: simonp and blksno
Just in case something goes wrong then having to send March back to Japan for CS has turned me off. I had a 5-42HM that had IQ problems above 37x but was super nice below 20x????
The March 4.5-28 should be less optically compromised because of the magnification ratio.

The Athlon Cronus G2 4.5-29x56 has daylight bright illume which helps me seeing the reticle when the scope is on low magnification. Not sure of the other various scopes that have this feature except the Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22x50 which I also own.

This Razor to me isn't quite up to the build quality I expected to receive when I bought it, this in mostly the turrets. I have it on my long range AR in 6mmFatRat currently because it's as lightweight as can be in this mag range.

I'd go with the ZCO 4-20 personally if the reticle thickness is usable on low magnification.

I shoot out to 2500 yards on our ELR adventures. Do no be deceived, longer range does not equate to higher magnification, in fact, more often than not magnification becomes your enemy if you're shooting during normal daylight hours as all you're doing is magnifying the mirage causing your target to dance around like a car lot inflatable (air dancer). At 2500 yards I rarely go above 16x and that is with a Tangent Theta, just saying...

Since you make mention of wanting some "bottom end" for yote hunting then I'd say make that your primary focus. Problem is, there are not many FFP scopes that have the "right" reticle for both effective bottom end use and top end; this is where illumination can help and scopes like the NF NX8 series with their ultra bright illumination can be a benefit; however, being 8x erectors these scopes can be a bit more finicky with the 4-32 being the "less finicky" of the two and making a really good 4-28 option (most report that above 28x the IQ begins to fall off), my last experience with the 2.5-20x50 was very positive.

You say the ATACR's are a bit on the heavy side so I'm guessing you're trying to stay under 32oz.

If you want something more forgiving I'd say stick with the 4x/5x/6x erectors. Others have mentioned the T6Xi 3-18x56 which is very forgiving if not the most forgiving in this mag range; however the reticle illumination is not that bright and the reticle is not the most usable at the bottom end, plus it's a bit on the chunky side.

Others have mentioned the Zeiss 4-25 but it too is a bit on the chonky side, Element has a Nexus model 4-25x50 that is also made by LOW (who makes the Zeiss LRP S3 line) but in a 30mm tube cutting weight to just under 31oz, I just did a review of the Theos (the 6-36 big brother) and was extremely happy with performance especially the bright illumination. As ILya mentions above there is also the Delta Stryker 3.5-21x44 which comes in under 32oz.

Good luck with your hunt, will be curious to see what you end up with...

Reactions: simonp and Tikkaguy
After reviewing all of the outstanding feedback I am now looking into the zco 4-20, and the march 4.5-28 as they both meet my criteria and appear to have good customer support over some of the other alpha glass companies. Probably the first one I find on the PX with locking turrets around the $3k price range will be the one I get. If you have any responses regarding these two scopes and pros and cons I am all ears. This is my first post on the hide and I truly appreciate the insight from you all. Thank you.
You might also want to look at the March-FX 5-42X56 Gen 2 with the shuriken turrets. It's closer to the ZCO in terms of size, weight and price. It has a wider elevation range at 40MIL instead of 35MIL and a wider FOV at 26° compared to 23° for the ZCO, if my records are correct.