• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Looking for a good sniper rifle...

mamosley

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
Jefferson City, Missouri
Hey guys, I am fairly new to the forums, and was hoping to get some input into a good sniper rifle. I'm looking for a gun to go hunting with and target shooting, and am hoping to get a .308 since I already have an M 14. I have looked at several AR 10s and am fairly impressed by them, but must confess my ignorance when it comes to sniping, so does anyone have any suggestions as to a good gun/scope to get? I'm looking to spend under 4k, which I believe leaves me a lot of options.
Also, I am praying daily for a zombie apocolypse to encompass America, so this gun will need to be able to very rugged. Seriously, if I need to kill some zombies from long range this gun needs to work.

Re: Looking for a good sniper rifle...

Unless your a LEO or a MIL sniper you won't need a sniper rifle. Maybe you should look at tactical rifles
wink.gif

i like a lot of butter and salt on my popcorn.

i think what you really want is a precision tactical rifle. i could be wrong, but you have to enlist to get a sniper rifle. for a $4k rifle scope/combo you have alot of choices. i would look at a tac-ops myself, others prefer GAP. did you cruise the bolt action thread and go back 10-20 pages? you will see alot of peoples posts on their new this of that. hang on, the opinions are coming. good luck

lol, all of the above posts were done while i typed the above. i told you they would be along... oh and i didnt realize it was a semi you wanted. tac-ops is a bolt only as far as i know. is it getting hot in here? oh thats just the flames, lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">airsoft.com </div></div>

+1

Really...are you F$%#ING kidding. 6 posts on a Springfield Armory scope and now this $H!T with wanting a "sniper rifle" for the impending "zombie" invasion.

Let the flaming continue, fellas!

Got this quote from your springfield scope thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mamosley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ahhh, I see. Well, it looks just like the pic above at 14x, but not at 4x. I guess I have a bad scope
frown.gif
That's really disappointing because I don't have enough cash right now to get a new one.</div></div>

He has $4000 to spend on a "sniper rifle" to "snipe" but you don't have $500 to spend on a decent scope??

As a functioning member of society that has the ability to type on a computer and post messages on the internet, I thought it would be apparent that I do not truly believe that zombies will take over America. It was a bit of humor, and for those of you grossly offended by my attempt at it I truly and deeply apologize. I realize many of you are busy masturbating to guns and ammo and having to take time out of your busy schedules to "flame" someone on a forum must be infuriating. ORD, you have my most sincere apologies.
And JCH the scope was a gift from my father, which I was trying to decide was broken or not. Jesus Christ you guys are a bunch of stuck up faggots, I might as well have posted on the lifetime network forum and gotten less drama.

you havent even gotten close to getting a good response from me. You guys who want "sniper rifles" and need to defend from zombies, are getting to be a dime a dozen.

Who left the damn door open and let all the ARFcom guys in the door?????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mamosley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As a functioning member of society that has the ability to type on a computer and post messages on the internet, I thought it would be apparent that I do not truly believe that zombies will take over America. It was a bit of humor, and for those of you grossly offended by my attempt at it I truly and deeply apologize. I realize many of you are busy masturbating to guns and ammo and having to take time out of your busy schedules to "flame" someone on a forum must be infuriating. ORD, you have my most sincere apologies.
And JCH the scope was a gift from my father, which I was trying to decide was broken or not. Jesus Christ you guys are a bunch of stuck up faggots, I might as well have posted on the lifetime network forum and gotten less drama. </div></div>

The ability to type doesn't forgive the ignorance for WHAT you type, sir. You are on a forum that is comprised of people who take what they do very seriously. Whether it is as a member of the armed services, professional in law enforcement, or competitors in various shooting sports.

Your attempt at levity, however misplaced, is viewed here as another newbie/internet keyboard commando/pre-pubescent @$$hole kid with unrestricted Internet access who has nothing to contribute to the wealth of knowledge or betterment of this forum (or any other for that matter).

As for the Lifetime forum...at least there you might have been directed to a source for some much-needed mental hygiene. Here...you are just going to get flamed!!!

Really? What do you do that involves sniping in the real world, ORD? I spent six years in the Marine Corps, and I would venture to say you've done shit. Also, throwing "sir" around is a feeble attempt at sounding intellectual in a mudfight.
I was hoping to garner some of this great, vast "wealth of knowledge" you speak of, but realized too late that this is yet another forum comprised of (at least my gathering from this thread) tough-talking bullet hounds ready to "flame" anyone with under a thousand posts that dare make light of their chosen hobby in a simple attempt at jest.
As for your suggestion to my needing mental hygenie, may I suggest you take a respite from your keyboard and take a walk outside in the great outdoors instead of staring at the barrels of big guns online and feverishly convincing yourself you aren't attracted to men.

You are taken at face value and the value of your first post is akin to fecal matter.
I, for one, cannot believe that a "functioning" member of society has the ability to type on a computer however not have the ability to search using said computer.
If you ask a serious question, you will get a serious answer. If you act retarded, expect to be treated as such.
Now I'm going back to American Riflemen as Guns and Ammo doesn't show enough "action". (homo-nym intended)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mamosley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jesus Christ you guys are a bunch of stuck up faggots, I might as well have posted on the lifetime network forum and gotten less drama. </div></div>

1. You had all that time and the best you came up with is "Stuck up faggots?????" Really weak

2. The fact that you know there is a Lifetime Network forum is not a good omen for you.

3. The JC in my profile doesn't stand for Jesus Christ, you can call me His Dudeness or Duderino..

My my, very touchy for such a bunch of close-knit, hairy backwoodsmen with lumbering fifty caliber sniper rifles strapped to your backs. No worries, I'll be out of your hair soon.
Deadly, I see that you are/were Infantry, I was 0612 field wiremen. I do not however, see how asking what people's opinions were on a good rig for under 4k constitutes as ridiculous.
Mike, it is apparent that you have the mentality of a small child, so it's no wonder you fit right in. If Kansas City faggots are your thing, go for it. I am sure that no one on this forum has as big of a penis as you, or is even near the 6105 posts that you have. I bet you chat with lots of girls online, no?

OK your not getting it.

We don't call them sniper rifles because..........wait for it..............

WE'RE NOT ALL SNIPERS...

we don't snipe, WE SHOOT!

buddy, my post was in reference to your "sniper" rifle and your impending zombie attack. You happened to be what i so lovingly refer to as a POG, but take it for what its worth. Get a GAP DPMS gas gun

This is all about HOW you asked your question and not necessary WHAT you asked, sir. (there it is again...trying to sound intellectual...heaven forbit, polite).

If you'd have asked about a precision target rifle, an accurate rifle with optics, etc., etc. for $4,000...the reaction would have been vastly different. See JCH's post above about you NOT GETTING IT!!

Ah, I see deadly. I googled the rifle and it looks promising, I'll read more about it later. Thank you for the reference.
JCH, I get it, you're a very cool person and everyone likes you, including me. You don't live in the woods and you aren't gay, your parents love you so does Jesus and you are the bestest sniper or "shooter" of them all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mamosley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Mike, it is apparent that you have the mentality of a small child, so it's no wonder you fit right in. If Kansas City faggots are your thing, go for it. I am sure that no one on this forum has as big of a penis as you, or is even near the 6105 posts that you have. I bet you chat with lots of girls online, no? </div></div>

It is very apparent, especially to those that know me personally. But hey, I'm still aspiring to the level of mental retardation you have regaled us with this evening. My penis size is irrelevant. It works and that is what counts. I do chat with girls online, some call them girls, I call them "Marines" or "Field Wiremen". Sometimes I just respond back and forth with them in ridiculous posts.
Either way, the zombies are calling. Shouldn't you go practice your sniping?

And if you are trying to sound either polite or intellectual ORD, please spell "forbid" correctly. Also, you never answered what you do in real life with sniping. You referenced several professions, but not your own. I'm thinking bagger at a grocery store, but I could be way off... Whatever you think I should "get" I clearly do not "want" so you can stick that in back wherever you found it. I guess I should have called it shooting instead of sniping, as any fool knows never to tread upon the vast intellectual properties of a bunch of guys on an internet forum... The shame I feel is unmatched.

Mike, I simply cannot decide what is more pathetic: Your attempt at likening me to my own post in such a shoddy and transparent fashion, or your pathetic attempt at trying to degrade Marines. Your mom is calling, isn't it your bed time?
Gosh, I am having way more fun on this forum than I thought I ever would. I could keep this up all night...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mamosley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My my, very touchy for such a bunch of close-knit, hairy backwoodsmen with lumbering fifty caliber sniper rifles strapped to your backs. No worries, I'll be out of your hair soon.
Deadly, I see that you are/were Infantry, I was 0612 field wiremen. I do not however, see how asking what people's opinions were on a good rig for under 4k constitutes as ridiculous.
Mike, it is apparent that you have the mentality of a small child, so it's no wonder you fit right in. If Kansas City faggots are your thing, go for it. <span style="color: #FF0000">I am sure that no one on this forum has as big of a penis as you</span>, or is even near the 6105 posts that you have. I bet you chat with lots of girls online, no? </div></div>

I have never met Mike, but being from Texas I can guarantee my penis is bigger. What are you basing your comparison on?

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hahaha. You criticize ORD for misspelling "forbid" yet you used the word "gotten"? Classic. </div></div>
Ha ha! Man, you're right that is classic.

Gotten is a word, dipshit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CAT5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this where you show your ass until you get banned?
</div></div> Wait, they can ban me for this? You mean I won't be able to post in the midst of such vast intelligence? Say it isn't so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mamosley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike, I simply cannot decide what is more pathetic: Your attempt at likening me to my own post in such a shoddy and transparent fashion, or your pathetic attempt at trying to degrade Marines. Your mom is calling, isn't it your bed time?
Gosh, I am having way more fun on this forum than I thought I ever would. I could keep this up all night...</div></div>

Likening to your own post or pointing out your blatant hypocrisy? Either way it is raising your status to an even higher level of idiocy. Degrading Marines, you mean the ones that actually fight or the ones in the back playing in supply? I told Mom I was asleep, so it's cool. I can keep going. Speaking of keeping this up all night, when was the last time you were "up all night" with someone besides another man?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mamosley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike, I simply cannot decide what is more pathetic: Your attempt at likening me to my own post in such a shoddy and transparent fashion, or your pathetic attempt at trying to degrade Marines. Your mom is calling, isn't it your bed time?
Gosh, I am having way more fun on this forum than I thought I ever would. I could keep this up all night...</div></div>

Likening to your own post or pointing out your blatant hypocrisy? Either way it is raising your status to an even higher level of idiocy. Degrading Marines, you mean the ones that actually fight or the ones in the back playing in supply? I told Mom I was asleep, so it's cool. I can keep going. Speaking of keeping this up all night, when was
the last time you were "up all night" with someone besides another man? </div></div>
Why just last Thursday. I was up until 6am with your mother, and not a man in sight besides me. So there.
"Blatant hypocrisy?" Pray explain. Also, explain what FIELD Wiremen you know that "play supply". Your ignorance is literally starting to surprise me, instead of just amuse me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mamosley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And if you are trying to sound either polite or intellectual ORD, please spell "forbid" correctly. </div></div>

You are the one who said he could type...I know I can't (I can'r speell aither)!!!
wink.gif
That is what my secretary is for!

As for my professional resume...I never said I had anything to do with "sniping" in my job or otherwise. What I said was that you are attempting levity while asking your question which was obviously met with considerable resistance by people who take this forum seriously, including members of the military, law enforcement, competitive shooters, those who have taken time to read through the forum and educate themselves on precision, long-range shooting and other topics of interest, etc., etc.

Nobody here minds helping a guy out with a question that doesn't involve "sniper rifles" and "zombies".

Despite all the $#!T being slung around this thread, I would be willing to bet that many would still be willing to help you out with a well-reasoned, intelligible (did I speell that rihgt) question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mamosley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike, I simply cannot decide what is more pathetic: Your attempt at likening me to my own post in such a shoddy and transparent fashion, or your pathetic attempt at trying to degrade Marines. Your mom is calling, isn't it your bed time?

Degrading Marines, you mean the ones that actually fight or the ones in the back playing in supply? </div></div>

i like this one Mike...you get an A+ ill call your English teacher and let her know your gramatical skills are on par with the best....kudos SIR.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mamosley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And if you are trying to sound either polite or intellectual ORD, please spell "forbid" correctly. </div></div>

You are the one who said he could type...I know I can't (I can'r speell aither)!!!
wink.gif

As for my professional resume...I never said I had anything to do with "sniping" in my job or otherwise. What I said was that you are attempting levity while asking your question which was obviously met with considerable resistance by people who take this forum seriously, including members of the military, law enforcement, competitive shooters, those who have taken time to read through the forum and educate themselves on precision, long-range shooting and other topics of interest, etc., etc.

Nobody here minds helping a guy out with a question that doesn't involve "sniper rifles" and "zombies".

Despite all the $#!T being slung around this thread, I would be willing to bet that many would still be willing to help even you out with a well-reasoned, intelligible (did I speell that rihgt) question.</div></div>
Whoa, a lot of mispellings in that one.
Anyways, so what do you do? You were obviously trying to throw yourself in with the "cool" lot by referencing military and law enforcement, but it turns out I was completely right. You do absolutely nothing of importance for a living, and spend your evenings trying to degrade "n00bs". I actually feel sorry for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mamosley</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mamosley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And if you are trying to sound either polite or intellectual ORD, please spell "forbid" correctly. </div></div>

wink.gif

Despite all the $#!T being slung around this thread, I would be willing to bet that many would still be willing to help even you out with a well-reasoned, intelligible (did I speell that rihgt) question.</div></div>
Whoa, a lot of mispellings in that one.
Anyways, so what do you do? You were obviously trying to throw yourself in with the "cool" lot by referencing military and law enforcement, but it turns out I was completely right. You do absolutely nothing of importance for a living, and spend your evenings trying to degrade "n00bs". I actually feel sorry for you. </div></div>

Really? We waited all this time and that's what you came back with?
Sad.

Dude you are doing the Marine Corps a disgrace by the comebacks. They are weak as puppy piss. Come on, you must have something better than that??? No?? Thats a let down

Well what should I write? I feel all nervous and shit now that everyone is staring at me and expecting me to write some fantastic retorts.
Ok: Deadly, you are a fag.
Mike: You are really a fag as well, but even moreso that Deadly. Borderline rapist-gay.
ORD: You make gay porn stars blush.
How's that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mamosley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JCH, I get it, you're a very cool person and everyone likes you, including me. You don't live in the woods and you aren't gay, your parents love you so does Jesus and you are the bestest sniper or "shooter" of them all.
</div></div>

Nope, never said I was best at anything. I will say this, I know enough not to call my tactical rifle my sniper rifle, especially when there are those on this website that actually served (serving) and earned the designation. I wouldn't want to disrespect them by doing that.

Nor can I attest to penis sizes of other men, I don't look over and down while pissing in the urinal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CAT5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you do for a living that is of so much importance?
</div></div> I go and ruin people's evening on the internet. I truly try and disrupt people's lives by posting on forums and acting like a n00b.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mamosley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well what should I write? I feel all nervous and shit now that everyone is staring at me and expecting me to write some fantastic retorts.
Ok: Deadly, you are a fag.
Mike: You are really a fag as well, but even moreso that Deadly. Borderline rapist-gay.
ORD: You make gay porn stars blush.
How's that?</div></div>

This mediocrity would have at least been received with a little more accolades however I will point out in my reference you posted "that Deadly" and it should have been "than".

Thats still weak, something i would expect from a POG. But you are probably morbidly obese and have that sense of duty that you fought the good fight right? Go get caught raping the new PFC with a broom stick you and videoing it as a right of passage. You POGs never cease to amaze me at the ridiculously pure bullshit that you guys come up with. Go suck start your "sniper" rifle so the zombies cant convert you.

I heard once from a comm guy this saying "You can talk shit about us, but you cant talk without us" and that was in reference to COMM guys, but i think we were doing just fine long before you came around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mamosley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JCH, I get it, you're a very cool person and everyone likes you, including me. You don't live in the woods and you aren't gay, your parents love you so does Jesus and you are the bestest sniper or "shooter" of them all.
</div></div>

Nope, never said I was best at anything. I will say this, I know enough not to call my tactical rifle my sniper rifle, especially when there are those on this website that actually served (serving) and earned the designation. I wouldn't want to disrespect them by doing that.

Nor can I attest to penis sizes of other men, I don't look over and down while pissing in the urinal.</div></div>
What about touching yourself while while behind locked doors in the privacy of your own home while blaring gay porn in full dolby digital 5.1 surround sound? I thought so. I never knew the word "sniper rifle" was sacrilegious to snipers. My God, if only I had known.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats still weak, something i would expect from a POG. But you are probably morbidly obese and have that sense of duty that you fought the good fight right? Go get caught raping the new PFC with a broom stick you and videoing it as a right of passage. You POGs never cease to amaze me at the ridiculously pure bullshit that you guys come up with. Go suck start your "sniper" rifle so the zombies cant convert you.

I heard once from a comm guy this saying "You can talk shit about us, but you cant talk without us" and that was in reference to COMM guys, but i think we were doing just fine long before you came around. </div></div>
Oh boy, another grunt with MOS envy. Whatever the fuck you did with PFC's behind closed doors, that's your business. Jesus, that's really some sick shit, have you been seen by medical?

Yeah im actually diagnosed as fuckin nuts. Nope dont have time to mess around with the new boots, we were to busy trying to train up for upcoming deployments, my Work ups consisted of more than making sure my type skills and satellite phones worked well. yep you can say that i have MOS envy, me personally i think the USMC should be nothing but a combat arms service. That means no POGs like you. I really do envy the fact that you guys picked up damn near Gunny when you first hit the fleet, and now they talk about these "baby NCOs", you probably happen to fall into that category.