• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Looking for ideas on a good first AR

Kurtis

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2010
Virginia
I am looking for a good ar to buy brand new real cheap but good quality and i want it to have a tactical feel but i want to use it to hunt deer and game about that size my price range is between $500-$1500 dollars any thoughts or ideas?

Re: Looking for ideas on a good first AR

Colt 6920, Noveske N4 Light, Bravo Company...all have solid reputations for quality. They are also close to the top of your price range in varying degrees but you will never regret your purchase.

Go used for the rifle. Get the feel for one, then build it up from there. The receivers are pretty much indestructible anyhow.

.223 on Virginia deer? I don't know about that, but then again I'm used to Utah hunting for muleys where .270 is pretty much the smallest you see. You may want to look at a 6.5 Grendel or 6.8SPC for a little more "omph" to it, but then it gets a lot more expensive, especially for ammo. Someone else might have better advice than I do on that one.

There is one main resident expert on the AR platform. I would encourage you to send him a PM because he does not seem to be chiming in here. He may not know the thread is active yet. His user name is "Boltripper". He knows WAY more about this type of stuff than anyone else.

Josh

If you are able to go check out a local gun store, you might want to look at the Ruger SR-556 rifle.

Ruger SR-556

Usually they can be had in $1600 to $1700 range but give you a nice gas piston AR, with a couple mags, a nice carrying case and flip up sights, with rails and clip on handguards. They come in the standard 5.56mm and the 6.8mm

what if i wanted to mount red dot or refelex scope as well as a front grip any brand new rifles out there have the rails to mount built in that are in my price range?

Get a BCM. I suppose tactical feel means you don't want a 20", although that would be good for hunting bullet ballistics. If you are truly close enough to make good shots on deer, I assume you are using good 68+ gr ammo, and short range. With practice, you should be able to do this with the small aperture on the Larue BUIS which will add $90.

BCM may still have uppers on sale for $50 off, so you'll need the barreled upper ($375), bolt carrier group and charging handle ($135), a p-mag ($15), and a complete lower (maybe $300). Figure a dollar a round for good ammo, I think Winchester Silvertips get good reviews.

With the remaining cash, you may be able to get a decent red dot. I don't think you're budgeted for a rail, tho.

I'd get a Colt 6920 as well. I own an SR 556 and don't like it nearly as well as the 6920. If you want to add goodies to the 6920 you can buy a set of quad rail handguard from one of the many vendors that sells them and still be $300 or more below the price of an SR 556. The carry handle comes off the 6920 so you can mount any optic you want.

For optics in that range you can't do better than a $100 Pentax Pioneer from CameraLand NY and a Burris or SWFA forward mount. Seriously, I had no problems with a $20 Leapers holding my scope, except that it is so low it won't clear my Troy folding rear BUIS...

The Pioneer is virtually identical to a Burris Fulfield. Scopes for any less money, I've found, have tremendously small eye box or just aren't quality.

Bought a S&W mp15 at a real good price and really like. My Dept. put it and several others thru many tests and it did fine. I have also heard really good things about the Rock River Arms rifles.BTW the S&W is also available in a package with the quad rail and flip up/down iron sights which would go great with an AIMPOINT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kilo_Whiskey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is the best medium range optic for what i am looking at </div></div>
colonoscope.png

Really KW, cool your jets and use this search function for a while. If AFTER you have exhausted your search-foo, then launch your question barrage.

a good 6.8 to look at are the noveske line, always nice.

if you want to build your own you can always buy their barrels, a SWS rail, etc.

CMMG bargain bin, if they still have it. It's like the 5.00 video bin at WalMart. If you dig around long enough, you'll come up with something worth the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kilo_Whiskey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking for a good ar to buy brand new real cheap but good quality and i want it to have a tactical feel but i want to use it to hunt deer and game about that size my price range is between $500-$1500 dollars any thoughts or ideas? </div></div>
I ordered a rock river m4 with a yhm quad rail and a s.s. barrel and i like it a lot I would recommend them

2008_1010Image0040.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kilo_Whiskey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i was looking at the colt 6920 how much would that put me back </div></div>

you should be able to get them around $1100 online, give or take $100

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kilo_Whiskey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i heard rock river arms is good do the make custom weapons </div></div> you can order with barrel changes , front sight changes mine is a flat with no sight rail and grip changes mine is exactly the way it came but i added non rotating pins and a different flash hider

Please define "best."

If you ARE into AR platforms, save a bit longer and invest in a gas-piston operated one - Cool, Clean, and Reliable. I am a strong believer in Pay Once, Cry Once. You get what you paid for, after all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kilo_Whiskey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i heard rock river arms is good do the make custom weapons </div></div>

snapshot20070716225508hi6.jpg

Why King of Jungle need AR?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kilo_Whiskey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i heard rock river arms is good do the make custom weapons </div></div>

snapshot20070716225508hi6.jpg

Why King of Jungle need AR? </div></div>"Have small...um...hands, ...must impress Jane somehow...."

Only thing I would add is to really think through your optics and sight choices depending on what you choose for the "handle" and gas block/barrel sight configuration. You can get really wound up with 1/2" clearance issues, especially with a fat eyepiece optic (how do I know?) . All the other stuff is off-the -shelf and goes pretty well together. But, those clearances. The hard part for me is I don't like buis since I mostly use irons, so I like good ones. But, I want to scope when I need to, hence the problem.

FWIW, I have a very satisfactory RRA M4 with the standard barrel configuration. I don't really care for the usual collapsible stock but I'm too cheap to buy a good Magpul. I don't really think you can go wrong with any of the choices mentioned unless you have a specialized professional use, in which case I'd suggest Colt Bravo or Noveske. One of the best buys is the S&W M&P if their promotion is still on. Save money for good, no, GOOD glass if you intend to scope.